Random mouse movement and typing - Virus or wot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my dell 1720. Not sure if it's a fault or virus problem. During normal use, even with both hands behind my back there is an effect similar to having someone standing behind me with another mouse and keyboard plugged into my pc, constantly moving the pointer around the screen and clicking on random programs. When programs with any text capability are opened, random alphanumerics are typed in. This problem dissapeared for a few days after a system restore which removed a failed installation of Pinnacle Studio 9 video editting software, and about 1 week of windows and AVG antivirus software updates. The problem returned 24 hrs after that. Then after many other things had been tried I did a clean re-installation of Vista Home premium using the Dell supplied format/partitioning software and other discs. I still have the problem, although marginaly better for a short period. I'm thinking it may be a virus, or possibly a keyboard/mouse problem. Short of disconnecting mouse and keyboard to see if it still happens, has anyone got any ideas before I get the back off my pc again? (System spec' on profile)
Cheers!
Mart

Ok, thanks for that - I'm doing all that now but the problem I have is slowing me up big-time. I'll post the details ASAP.
Mart

Ok - got there finaly - logs attached
Mart

Fix entries using HiJackThis
  • Launch HiJackThis
  • Click the Do a system scan only button
  • Put a check next to the entries listed below
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)

• IMPORTANT: Do NOT click fix until you exit all browser sessions including the one you are reading in right now
  • Click the Fix checked button and close HiJackThis
  • Reboot HijackThis if necessary

Rename HijackThis.exe to marty.exe by doing the following;

• Navigate here using Windows Explorer (windows button + E) or My Computer -> Local Disk C: -> C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
  • Right-click on the HijackThis.exe
  • Choose from the pull-down menu; "Rename"
  • And now Rename HijackThis.exe to marty.exe
  • When you've renamed HijackThis, open HijackThis again.
  • Take a fresh HijackThis log (click Do a system scan and save a log file)
  • Post the fresh HijackThis log here.

Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from HERE and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click on RSIT.exe to run.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Once it has finished, two logs will open.
  • log.txt <will be maximized and info.txt <will be minimized
  • Please post the contents of both logs in the next reply.

You should get a firewall as well,

Install the free version. It will be a bit annoying at first but will help in the long run.

I couldn't spot it, but ti sounds like someone might be using a remote connection to your machine. The only entries I saw are the multiple Dell Support entries. Are you set up for ANY remote assists or other remote connections?

And we have another user being helped who also has this entry:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)

Have you currently updated and scanned with AVG? Did it find anything? What? Is it in the vault quarantined? Deleted?

and his AV is naming Infected with Trojan.Brisv.A!inf

Funny to run across this thread. Are you using wireless keyboard/mouse? I was going bonkers last week when some random mouse movements and keystrokes started to appear from nowhere. After scanning for everything, unplugging my computer from the network, etc. I figured that my keyboard receiver is picking up the signal from the wireless keyboard of our secretary (she sits probably around 30 ft. away from my cube).

Check this, it may be simpler than you think.

More logs

Thanks folks - Here are the next log docs. The last hijackthis log won't seem to upload, not sure why, it's only 9Kb.
Extra info' - this is a laptop so keyboard and mouse hard wired. I have no remotes enabled, and the fault occurs with no wireless or bluetooth switched on. Even happened immediately after HDD format and partinioning and clean reinstal of Vista before drivers for everything else were loaded..2n/ .2n/ .2n/ . Incidentaly, that's probably why dell support features so large in the logs - I had to n/ ó download all the drivers there. b albb.2n/ /.2n/ .2n/ Am using Vista's firewall only - have used others but they always seem to conflict with.2n/ wy windows.
I've left in some of the random keystrokes caused by this problem - you can see how annoying it is.
Thanks for your attention to this.
mart

If the mouse has batteries, change them. I have gotten some sci-fi results from my wireless mouse when the batter is low!

Problem solved

Had to try disconnecting things eventualy - pc works fine with keyboard removed & using on screen keyboard. Have used meths and coarse cloth to clean up contacts, and refitted keyboard - all seems ok.

Thanks for your input guys
Mart

Thats really unfair. I posted a host of information that would help in here. Why have all my posts been removed???? Its the same virus and I gaurentee that marty will be back as he unfortunately has not solved the problem. Marty just to let you know I posted a great deal as I have the same problem only to have them deleted for some reason.

You get ..n/ etc getting typed right? Occasionally you have to stop it opening the start menu right? Mainly it types what looks like command line references? I really dont apreciate my post being deleted without an explanation by PM

Attachments

• Deleted-Posts.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 21
You posted 4 replies in a row
I could not Merge them all, because it would have been a page long

Best to always use EDIT to add to your last post in the thread (if you need to)
Also if you yourself have an issue you are best to create your own thread

All still ok

Thanks for subsequent posts guys, but my problem has been fine since keyboard removal and connection cleanup - not even a hint of the problem. It was certainly the keyboard connection strip at fault.

Mart

Dell 1720 Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back