Random PC restarts bugcheck event ID 1001

Query323

Hi as I mentioned in the title my PC restarts randomly, usually it's infrequent, but today it restarted twice when I clicked Delete an email. This is what is showing in Event VIewer

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbd0d20a2, 0xb1720304, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini092211-01.dmp.

CPU: Intel P4 3.0Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P5GD1 - UAYO
Ram Speed, size and #sticks: 4 Kingston DDR Ram 3200 512MB each
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT
PSU (do not leave this out): PC Power and Cooling 700 Watts

Hopefully someone knows exactly what is the problem from those encrypted bugcheck errors.

Attachments

• Mini092211-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 15
Your error code is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware (and a good indicator of bad RAM) but sometimes they can be due to faulty drivers.

In your case the Nvidia driver nv4_disp.dll was specifically cited as the cause of your crash.

I suggest doing the following...

1. Go to our Download section and click on Utilities and then download Driver Sweeper 3.1 to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

I've done everything you suggested. Thank you.
Now it's a matter of waiting for a few weeks to be sure if it's fixed or not.

All right, so it did take some time but my PC restarted again. In event viewer I got this:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x804e7d50, 0xaf3d7ccc, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100611-01.dmp.

I've attached the Minidump file again. Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini100611-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 3
Your error code is again 0x8E. We are going to take a different approach thus we want you to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Back