Random Reboots (0xooood1) & (0xoooo8e)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xfactor

HI all,

This is my first time dealing with mini-dump files, so please keep that in mind.
Im not even sure if I attached the correct files.

Ive been trying for 3 or 4 months to figure this out, but have ran out of options.

Short breifing: Ive reinstalled WINxp about 3 times, and have pretty much eliminated drivers or software as the culprit. "Have tried video and sound drivers".

The BSOD primarily always happen 20-40 minutes after watching youtube videos.
(Occasionally when running a virus scan/WMP11 or just sitting idle, as well)

Happens with Service pack2 or Servive pack 3. (Have current updates!)

Memtest86 ran for 10 or 12 hrs with out any errors.

99% sure no Viruses or Spyware!!

Have ran ChckDsk/f/r

Have also tried a windows repair, but to no avail.

Occasionally the browser im using has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Dozens of other possible solutions.

Like I said, Ive tried and tried to figure this out, but cant. Sorry to bother you, but any help would be much obliged.

n4h7r9.jpg

Attachments

• Mini.zip
    19.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Mini112808-01.zip
    18.6 KB · Views: 6
Can anyone just give me a clue as to what this might be???

Ive ran Memtest and attached minidumps. Is there anything else?

It looks to me that the audio drivers could be causing your problems. Many applications (browsers, games, Windows Media Player, ect.) use the audio resources which may explain the different STOP errors.
Since you have an older socket A system it has probably run for a long time and it's only within the last few months that you have had problems. So it would seem that something that was updated or added to your system within the last few months is likely causing the problem. Another problem with older hardware is contact surfaces that have become corroded or dirty or the device may be starting to fail.

-Two of the crash dumps involved opera.exe. Try using Firefox or I.E. or try a different version of Opera.
-See link below for audio driver fix from Microsoft.
-I think that your motherboard has a VIA chipset. The VIA 4 in1 driver installer (which includes the audio drivers) has been known to cause problems. Uninstall and try using the native Windows audio drivers.
-Check with manufacture of your motherboard or PC for BIOS update.
-Remove RAM and clean the contact surfaces. Also do this for PCI devices.
-Overheating problems.

other:
Run SFC
Look in event manager.
Look in Device Manager for problem devices.

It would help troubleshooting this problem if you could provide more info about your system.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selected info from Windows Debugger and your .dmp files

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000001D

BugCheck 1000008E, {c000001d, f706d908, f7c4aecc, 0}
Probably caused by : hardware ( portcls!CPortPinWavePci::GetMapping+3f )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E

PROCESS_NAME: opera.exe

MISALIGNED_IP:
portcls!CPortPinWavePci::GetMapping+3f
f706d908 c7 ???

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from f709eb79 to f706d908

FAILED_INSTRUCTION_ADDRESS:
portcls!CPortPinWavePci::GetMapping+3f
f706d908 c7 ???

STACK_TEXT:
f7c4af44 f709eb79 85be7ae4 00000248 f7c4af70 portcls!CPortPinWavePci::GetMapping+0x3f
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
f7c4af90 f709dc4b 84c9e564 85be7aec 84c9e560 ALCXWDM+0xeb79
f7c4afa8 f706d855 00c5cbf0 85c787a0 f7c4afd0 ALCXWDM+0xdc4b
f7c4afb8 f706d7bf 85be7aec 866bec78 ffdff000 portcls!CPortPinWavePci::RequestService+0x25
f7c4afd0 804dbbd4 84c9e540 84c9e530 00000000 portcls!CServiceGroup::ServiceDpc+0x2a
f7c4aff4 804db89e aa442d44 00000000 00000000 nt!KiRetireDpcList+0x46
f7c4aff8 aa442d44 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x2a

This error is cause by a conflict involving portcls.sys and alcxwdm.sys and opera.exe. . ALCXWDM.sys is the Avance/Realtek AC'97 audio driver and portcls.sys is the XP miniport sound driver.

Try this fix first:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a5-6a28-4888-93a7-6a6c6a87be7f&DisplayLang=en

If you have VIA chipset and you used the VIA 4 in 1 driver installer, uninstall it and use Windows XP native default audio drivers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE ntfs file
BugCheck 24, {1902fe, f7c62a10, f7c6270c, 8054b5b2}
Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs!NtfsDeleteScb+165
ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

This issue can occur if a problem occurred within the Ntfs.sys file. The Ntfs.sys file is the driver file that enables your computer to read and write to NTFS partitions. Damage in the NTFS file system, damaged portions of your hard disk, or damaged SCSI or IDE drivers can also cause this issue. Basically, this function tried to access (one assumes tried to delete) a resource it expected to be able to but it could not not. Try running chkdsk 2 or 3 times. It may be that your hard drive is starting to fail.

This is from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793935.aspx

One possible cause of this bug check is disk corruption. Corruption in the NTFS file system or bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk can induce this error. Corrupted SCSI and IDE drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, thus causing the error.
Another possible cause is depletion of nonpaged pool memory. If the nonpaged pool memory is completely depleted, this error can stop the system. However, during the indexing process, if the amount of available nonpaged pool memory is very low, another kernel-mode driver requiring nonpaged pool memory can also trigger this error.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xBF801A9F,0xA952FC48 win32k.sys

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bf801a9f, a952fc48, 0}
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!xxxRealInternalGetMessage+40d )

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

FAULTING_IP:
win32k!xxxRealInternalGetMessage+40d
bf801a9f 6a01 push 1

TRAP_FRAME: a952fc48 -- (.trap 0xffffffffa952fc48)
ErrCode = 00000002
eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=e212beb0 edi=00000200
eip=bf801a9f esp=a952fcbc ebp=a952fcec iopl=0 nv up ei pl nz na pe nc
cs=0008 ss=0010 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0030 gs=0000 efl=00010206
win32k!xxxRealInternalGetMessage+0x40d:
bf801a9f 6a01 push 1
Resetting default scope

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E

PROCESS_NAME: opera.exe

Thanyou very much, for your time and effort. I will reaearch, everything on this page. I will shutdown/unplug PC and clean memory sticks, as suggested.

I definitely agree, it seems to have to do something with the audio driver.

Well I'll start the trouble shooting processs("oh boy") and let you know where I stand in a couple of days or weeks. At this time, I will install Everest to try and give a little more info about my PC. It looks like I got some work to do. Thanks again! You should be promoted to a Tech Spot Guru.

EDIT:The first fix(KB920872)from MS doesnt work w/SP3. Error message>Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.

Just for the Record: Last time I checked, it still rebooted with no sound driver installed, with any browser I used, and even watching a movie in safe-mode.

"Just for the Record: Last time I checked, it still rebooted with no sound driver installed, with any browser I used, and even watching a movie in safe-mode."

If this is the case then audio drivers are not causing the crashes. With your PC crashing in safe mode and the crashes being caused by different errors each time this is most likely a hardware problem. If your RAM is OK then it may be your motherboard.
Microsofts OCA website has a diagnostic tool and user guide that can help to narrow down whether it is RAM or MOBO that is causing your system to crash. The tool is similar to Memtest 86+ but may detect memory errors not seen by Memtest due to different test algorithms (and vice versa).

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

If your system passes both memory tests then it may be a failing hard drive, power supply, or other device. For hard drives look to manufacturers website for diagnostic tools.
To rule out Windows altogether try running a Linux OS like Ubuntu or Knoppix. Knoppix is run from a CD that you burn so you don't have to create a new partition or load the OS. Google it.
Regardless of what it causing the problem if you have to buy new hardware it may be a good time for a new system. I just bought 4GB's of PC6400 Crucial Ballistic RAM for $20 (after rebate) at Fry's.
Craigslist is a good place to get used PC's/parts cheap if you want to keep your old rig going.

First of all, I would like to stick this great little piece of information that greatly helped me solving my issue: Also thankyou for your help crawdoggie!! Any suggestion what happened here?? Note that I swapped my sticks around about a year ago.

PC randomly rebooting? Read this first...

As any regular visitor to Hardware Analysis or any of the other tech help forums can attest, one of the most common problems experienced by PC users is that of random reboots, often experienced when carrying out processor (CPU) or graphics processing (GPU) intensive tasks. These issues can be one of the most frustrating to track down and troubleshoot, but in actual fact most (although not all) of these problems can be attributed to one of only five causes:

1) Viruses and Spyware
2) Drivers
3) Overheating
4) Memory (RAM) problems
5) Power Supply (PSU) issues

The purpose of this is to provide a quick troubleshooting guide for anyone experiencing random reboots, hopefully to help the user track down the cause quickly and easily. Of course, there will always be exceptions to the rule and it may be the cause of your issue is not covered here, but please work through these troubleshooting steps before posting details of your particular problem.

Viruses and spyware

I've put this issue first, although viruses and spyware are among the least likely cause of system reboots. Writers of these types of programs generally want to leave the computer running so that it can carry out the intended task, so the reboots generally only result if the virus is badly written or you have multiple infections which are fighting for resources. Nonetheless, this is the easiest problem to troubleshoot, so I've put it first. Run a virus and spyware scan. If you have neither (why not?) use AVG, Avast! etc (insert name of your favourite virus scanner here), along with Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Drivers

Another one which is relatively unlikely to be the cause of the reboots, but can be ruled out quite easily. Run dxdiag, and have it check that your drivers are WHQL certified. Now, we all have devices which come with non MS certified drivers, but as a trouble shooting exercise, disable anything with a non WHQL driver and see how you go.

Overheating

CPU and GPU overheating can and will cause your PC to freeze up and crash. So first things first:

1. Check your temps, both CPU and GPU. Correct operating temperatures will vary, but a quick Google should tell you the temps your own setup should be running at.

2. Ensure all your fans are running, especially the heatsink fan and the GPU fan/s.

3. Take the side panel off of the case, and set up a desk fan to blow air into the case. If the problem goes away, you need to upgrade your cooling.

Ram problems

These can be a bit trickier, but generally:

1. If you have two or more RAM modules (DIMMs), remove all but one to see if this solves the rebooting. If not, swap them out, one stick at a time.

2. If your BIOS allows, increase the voltage to the ram by 0.1v.

PSU issues

Power supplies causing system instability is something which happens far more often that you might imagine. PSUs are subject to very high electrical loading, and today's power hungry components will inevitably wear down a cheap power supply. Unfortunately, it can be quite difficult to troubleshoot PSU issues without simply swapping it out with a good quality replacement. However, one way to do so is to unplug any unnecessary devices (optical drives, etc.) and see if the system stabilises.

Followed all the steps above and system is still rebooting? Congratulations-you've got a really unusual problem. Best get posting....
________________________________________________________________--..

Turns out, all I did was pull out 1of my2 memory sticks out at a time, to see if the reboots continued. Turns out on my second attempt of pulling a memory stick out, and voila ive been watching videos for 3 days straight now. The longest I could watch a video with the buggy stick in, was anout 20min at most.

For those of you struggling with reboots, I suggest you try this method ASAP, for it really is fairly simple.

Still unsure if it was the actual module or stick going bad??? Havent bothered checking yet.

Also note, that I ran Memtest for 12hrs with NO errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back