Random Shutdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older hp computer (1.7ghz, 640 ram, 60Gb hdd) and it randomly shuts down after a random period of time. This problem should not be related to an OS for I have installed several on the hdd and the problem still persists. By "randomly shutting down", I mean the computer does not actually shut down completely, rather it enters a "standby-like" mode. Many of the parts are still on ( i.e usb devices, keyboard, mouse) but all the fans and output to the monitor ceases. And I know for a fact the processor and hard drive are still functioning well. I was guessing it to be a short in some circuit, but I wanted to get some opinions. Thanks in advance.

It's possible the the computer is over heating or the power supply is dieing... The CPU's thermal past may need to be cleaned off and new paste reapplied. If you don't know how to do this, take the computer to someone who does

I bet its the psu, because that would definitely make sense. I dont think its the processor for the temp isn't very high at all. But if a different psu doesnt work I try re-appling the thermal paste. Thanks Tmagic650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back