Random STOP BSOD Bccode 124

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowcow

Hi there,

I have a dell xps m1530 with:

t9300 proc
3 gb 667mhz ram (2gb mushkin + 1gb dell generic)
160gb Seagate hd
dell 1395 wi-fi

I recently got a virus so i reformatted my computer, after reinstalling everything. BSOD's began to appear randomly. Sometimes i could run the computer for long periods of time without anything happening while other times i would get it after starting a program after startup. I have the minidump file but am unsure how to convert it. This is from the Problems and Solutions Center in the control panel.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini041409-06.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 87073C4E
BCP3: B2000018
BCP4: 06000E0F
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

The computer was running fine until i had to reformat it. I've read on the internet than most of the time, a Bccode 124 means hardware failure somewhere. It might be the ram since when i run dell diagnostics in the bios, it tells me that one stick of the ram(not sure which) does not pass. I've also ran the windows diagnostic but it returned nothing.

Forgot to attach the file. Also, i'm running vista 32-bit home premium.

Thanks

I've replaced both my ram sticks with OCZ ram (2gb x 2) and ran the diagnostic for both sticks separately with no errors. However, I jsut got another BSOD with the same BCCode (124).

I've attached the new minidump.

Your error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (0x124)

A fatal hardware error has occurred. Did I ever mention how much I hate this error. :evil: It is a pain to diagnose because it can be any hardware issue and since your minidump hasn't specified anything solid (something I've never seen happen with this error code) the normal course of standard diagnostics must take place.

1. You've already installed new memory (OCZ is a good choice). Try running it with one stick. Any BSODs?

2. Update all drivers for your system. It could be your wifi card. It could be your onboard audio or video.

3. Find the brand of your harddrive, go to the manufacturer's website and download their free HD diagnostics utility. Run the diagnostic tests on your harddrive.

* Get back to us with the results.

I decided to reformat my computer thinking all my problems would go away but i was wrong. Another BSOD came up :mad:. I ran some of the diagnostic tests on my seagate drive and no errors came up (i'll run the rest of them when i go to sleep).

Unfortunately, i can't run the sticks in singles since i don't have a screwdriver with me (went back to university).

I've attached the new minidump.

I installed a newer version of my ethernet driver and it's been running fine for about 8 hours so far, hopefully the driver was what was causing the BSOD.

Thanks for your help.

I almost said in my last post check your NIC card because I remember some people resolving this issue in this way -- but of course I didn't. Grerat diagnostic work on your part. I told you I hated this error because it can be almost anything hardware related but I have yet to see a minidump give anything specific to help.

Thanks, I had a feeling it might have been the ethernet since after reading alot of other people's problems, alot of them fixed it after updating the ethernet driver. The stupid thing is i used the disc dell sent me which was last revised in feb 2009 so i assumed the driver was up to date. It wasn't until i stumbled upon a "newer" (2008) driver on notebookreview that i found the driver wasn't up to date. Hopefully, it's fixed now.

I guess i spoke too soon, i just got another BSOD but at least this one is different.

It's the IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal BSOD. I've attached the minidump file.

0xA errors are caused by either hardware issues or a driver attempting to access an IRQ Level address it has no right to.

In your case the Windows operating system NETIO.sy driver was cited as the cause. The majority of the time OS drivers are too general to be of much help but in your case I believe it is helpful in light of updating your ethernet driver.

NETIO.sys is a Microsoft's Network I/O Subsystem driver. Obtain the latest drivers for your network card and possibly motherboard. It could very well be your NIC card is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back