Raptor to SSD OS switch over

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

If I copy all my windows files from my raptor to my ssd can the ssd be set as boot device and work properly?

You would be better off copying the partition to the new drive and expanding/contracting it as needed. Either way though, its a risk because Windows has the ability to de-activate itself if it suddenly boots with different drives, Vista in particular but XP isn't an exception. Not to mention if the copy chokes at some point Windows system files or the registry can get messed up rendering your OS unbootable.

If I copy all my windows files from my raptor to my ssd can the ssd be set as boot device and work properly?

Chances are...not too good, if you do end up doing that you should at least do in from a third party OS, like linux or something.

I recommend taking a HDD image or Norton Ghosting as a backup, then burn your backup into your SSD. I think it will be better if you image the entire partition.

Either way, you shouldn't do ANYTHING affecting your standard HDD.

Remember, don't do it from computer to computer, only to the same computer.
Yes, windows logs all your hardware, and if Microsoft decides you have a "different" computer, they can make you pay for a new OS.

Sometimes starting anew can be a blessing, despite your hard work and your ssd, it will speed up your computer and give you a chance to reflect and clean out your programs as it is a pain reinstalling all of them. ex.: do i really need this background program...?

Sometimes starting anew can be a blessing, despite your hard work and your ssd, it will speed up your computer and give you a chance to reflect and clean out your programs as it is a pain reinstalling all of them. ex.: do i really need this background program...?
This is the better advice, its what I actually do.

Then again as a system admin, I can understand that independently configuring computers gets really old and time consuming fast. I'm just that anal with my personal systems really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back