Raspberry Pi-powered exoskeleton makes walking faster and easier

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: Researchers at Stanford University have designed a Raspberry Pi-powered exoskeleton that could help people with mobility challenges get around easier. The wearable fits over the lower leg like a boot and is powered by a Raspberry Pi 4, which is responsible for managing a host of sensors as well as the motor and motor driver.

Patrick Slade, who worked on the project as a PhD student, said they went with a Raspberry Pi due to its affordability and the fact that it can run multiple code threads simultaneously.

Writing in Python also makes the validation process easier, Slade added.

Key to a quality adaptive device is individualization, and that's where Stanford's creation differs from others. The team spent years using exoskeleton emulators to train their machine learning model, and the investment paid off. The system needs about an hour to fully learn how the wearer walks before it can work out a custom pattern to assist but benefits can be felt within the first 15 minutes of use.

On average, wearers are able to walk nine percent faster while using 17 percent less energy. It is equivalent to taking off a 30-pound backpack, the researchers said.

"Walking with the exoskeletons quite literally feels like you have an extra spring in your step," said Ava Lakmazaheri, a graduate student who wore the exoskeleton during testing.

The results are promising, but there is still a lot of work to be done. The current prototype is quite bulky, and all of the electronics are visible. A consumer-ready version will need a visual makeover to conceal the nuts and bolts and ideally, the system could be slimmed down a bit more. Still, it's impressive considering similar systems are usually tethered and thus, restrictive.

The researchers will need to seek out commercial partners to help bring the innovation to market. With any luck, the boot could one day work alongside traditional mobility aids like walkers to help keep people active for longer.

A research paper on the subject titled, "Personalizing exoskeleton assistance while walking in the real world," has been published in the journal Nature.

Permalink to story.

"It is equivalent to taking off a 30-pound backpack, the researchers said."

That will be about the weight of the battery soooo...what's the point?
I'm not sure, I'm always surprised at how light lithium batteries are compared to lead acid. But I see this as being more useful for people who are mobility impaired, not as some gimmick to get the kids for Christmas.

It also comes with ingenious software that marks all kiosks and stores where you can buy fresh AA batteries.

While this would be great for people with arthritis or mobility issues, I can guarantee you that it will also contribute to muscular atrophy in people who don't really need it.

Yay, let's make the average fat person lazy and fatter so they can die of a heart attack earlier...

I mean sometimes I wonder who has fewer brains, scientists or kindergarten kids

How about takeing this technology and making Robots that can walk in the moon in place of man and mars and actually start working there and building ****, man kind does not need to be more lazy..cycle to work schemes...walk to work ...get to gym...

Yay, let's make the average fat person lazy and fatter so they can die of a heart attack earlier...

I mean sometimes I wonder who has fewer brains, scientists or kindergarten kids

How about takeing this technology and making Robots that can walk in the moon in place of man and mars and actually start working there and building ****, man kind does not need to be more lazy..cycle to work schemes...walk to work ...get to gym...
I agree. On the positive side though, people who actually need it will have a new lease on life. I think that's a great thing. Here in Canada, people who need it will get it for free. People who don't need it will have to shell out for it and I'll bet it isn't cheap.

It will make the rich even fatter and lazier and they'll die sooner. I don't really see a problem here. :laughing:

What is the point of leading with raspberry pi? Is this really how clickbait seo works? It's one of the least important parts of their project.

And just like that we got fatter.
I am one of the people who could benefit from this technology. A regular walking person does not need this and yes would get fat but someone like me who can walk about 15 feet without my wheelchair would GREATLY benefit from this. So don't be so quick to throw stones when it is designed for those who NEED it not regular people.

I am one of the people who could benefit from this technology. A regular walking person does not need this and yes would get fat but someone like me who can walk about 15 feet without my wheelchair would GREATLY benefit from this. So don't be so quick to throw stones when it is designed for those who NEED it not regular people.
Was just a joke man. Wasn't mean to be taken so serious.

I mean sometimes I wonder who has fewer brains, scientists or kindergarten kids. How about takeing this technology and making Robots...
This is wrong on so many levels that it's difficult to know where to begin. First of all, there's the false dilemma: scientists are developing this technology for humans and autonomous robots-- they're not choosing one over the other.. Secondly, you have handicapped individuals who otherwise may not walk without it. Thirdly, a faster, more advanced version of this could easily replace cars for shorter trips. I can easily see some people jogging a few miles to work or school wearing something like this.

Fourth -- and most importantly -- your argument applies equally to every invention of man's from the first horse-drawn cart to modern lawn equipment, power tools, and washing machines and dishwashers: all designed to replace human muscle with machine power. If you find these offensive, try living in a hand-built grass hut for a few months. Make sure to chisel your report back to us onto a rock-- no Internet allowed!

Back