Rate this

GNS1310

Intel Core-i7 920 CPU
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB OCZ DDR3 DDR-1600 RAM
40GB Intel SSD Hard Drive (OS)
1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data storage)
Visiontek Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card (CrossFire ready)
Blu-Ray player and DVD/CD burner (Lite-On iHES108)
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W Power Supply
25" hp 2509m Monitor 1920x1080 3ms
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

How much would you pay?
What would you change? (if anything)
I found this on another site and was thinking of buying it.

I'm not a gamer, I'd use this strictly for business, surfing, music, movies, etc.

Also have a 750PSU I'd replace the 700 with.

Thats not necessary, in fact, if you could, I'd purchase it with a CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply.

You sure that a 400W would be sufficient??? I think the 550VX should be the least he should consider.

Had a friend build me a computer 10 years ago...only thing I never upgraded was the MoBo and CPU. I figured I'd buy something that would last another 10. I have friends that game and use my computer occasionally, and I can get this machine for $1100. Just wondered if it was a good or maybe even a great deal.

It is a very good machine, and would last you few years for sure with some reasonable headroom for performance to match the software accordingly.

@HK
AMD is good value for money yes, but Phenoms need more horsepower just to be roughly in the performance range of given product segment; so personally I wouldn't bother about AMD at this moment, when building a machine with reasonable budget.

It is a very good machine, and would last you few years for sure with some reasonable headroom for performance to match the software accordingly.

@HK
AMD is good value for money yes, but Phenoms need more horsepower just to be roughly in the performance range of given product segment; so personally I wouldn't bother about AMD at this moment, when building a machine with reasonable budget.

I have to offer an opposing opinion on that CMH, I specialize in building gaming rigs for folks on a budget, and have to say that I disagree. for example I just built a new machine for myself and had a 'decent budget to work with. I will put my Amd based machine dollar for dollar up against any Intel I7 machine for performance and here is why. By purchasing an AMD based components, it allowed me to spend more on a much more powerful graphic subsystem, a top of the line feature rich high performance Motherboard, as well as more and better peripherals. while I did overclock my CPU, It performs second only to an intel 980X in almost all areas
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-crosshair-iv-formula-review/1
what I am saying is that you cant get the same performance for the dollars I spent with a Intel based system. not being combative here, just a different philosophy

Thanks red, I didn't meant to say that 'AMD is not the right choice', but rather point was, AMD processors atm moment requires 'more' Oomph to compete with Intel at a given level even in such case they are unable to get ahead of competition, e.g. Phenom II X4 965 (Black Edition) is unable to beat i5 750 (at stock speeds, mind you it is closed 733MHZ higher when compared to i5). Yes, we can indulge in debate about superiority of architectural intricacies involved here, but that is why it is happening, but it is a fact.

Another example can be at stock speeds Ci7 975EE beats Phenom X6 1090T hands down. In some cases it was even beaten by i5 750.

That is why qualitatively Intel has a significant edge over AMD, for now; just like AMD had it in the Pentium 4 days.

I thought I should add this just to point out some strengths of these AMD processors as well.

Oh without a doubt the intel architecture is superior, I just make a living mostly for folks who have a budget in mind. I was just saying that you can get excellent performance still with some OC'ing and be able to divert some of the savings to other components to get say a higher graphics performance. although...I will put my AMD 'power station up against any of the i7's like the Guru benches I linked to :p:wave:
seriously, most of my customers need to take a different approach to accomplish their needs. as in they cant spend $400-$1000 on a CPU, because it leaves nothing for graphics, MB, cooling solutions, PSU, etc.of any quality or features.....geez I hope Bulldozer is competitive with the I7.

I agree, you need to find the best fit according to need and budget provided for.

I seriously hope that AMD will be able to provide better competition to Intel's Sandy Bridge variants later in 2011, if that happens, I am sure we'll be in a better position to make the right choices. :)

I agree, you need to find the best fit according to need and budget provided for.

I seriously hope that AMD will be able to provide better competition to Intel's Sandy Bridge variants later in 2011, if that happens, I am sure we'll be in a better position to make the right choices. :)

I should have noted that i have carved a niche for myself in building budget machines for folks...you know, the guys that walk in and want to play Crysis on high for $600..:rolleyes: can you say OC/ Overvolt :haha:

Oh BTW, here is my own latest personal machine
https://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p3945-power-station.html
https://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p3946-power-station16.html

That is very cool ;) ......... except for that LED color

If you build a similar high end machine with 980X, I think you'll probably have to sell a kidney or a house (i.e. for a 3x SLI configuration with GTX480) lol.

That is very cool ;) ......... except for that LED color

If you build a similar high end machine with 980X, I think you'll probably have to sell a kidney or a house (i.e. for a 3x SLI configuration with GTX480) lol.

Blue no good ey?....I knew i should I should have gone with purple! :p
lets see a x980 + 3x gtx 480 = $2650 just for the cards and CPU......my wife would kill me :haha:

Yup, and provided you choose a EVGA SR2, you sure will have to do either of the above two, but you'll get killed anyway; lol. :dead:

Back