Razer and Sixense cooking up PC game motion controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Razer and Sixense have partnered up to develop a "revolutionary true-to-life, next-generation motion sensing and gesture recognition controller for PC gaming." The companies -- along with select OEM partners -- are working on new motion sensing controllers that use electromagnetic fields to track precise movements, which can be used in current and upcoming PC games.

How precise and what kind of games are we talking about here? The companies say the absolute controller position is tracked to within one millimeter for positioning, a degree for orientation, and the technology is being demonstrated with Left 4 Dead 2 at CES. First person shooters generally require high speed and accuracy, so if the technology is suitable for L4D2, hopefully it's more than just a wonky novelty.

Razer and Sixense will push their motion controller to market later this year, and developers interested in porting existing or creating new games for the technology can email Razer at gamedevrelations@razerzone.com.

Permalink to story.

Provided this technology works well, I'd like to see what it was like coupled with Nvidia's 3D Vision. Now there is some next gen gaming! : P Although I will note I am in no hurry to see either technologies phase out more "traditional" means of control and viewing.

What happens to the keyboard? I prefer to not use a controller for my PC gaming. If I wanted a controller for FPS, I would play them on my PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back