Razer joins the PC case market with the Tomahawk: Steel and glass galore

mongeese

Staff
In a nutshell: Razer is releasing two premium PC cases, an ATX model for $200, and a Mini-ITX model for $180. The standout feature is the enormous tempered glass doors that flank both sides of the cases, and open from a swiveling mount at the rear. And an excess of Razer's special RGB, of course.

Although Razer's never officially released a case to market, it is perhaps a little disingenuous to call these Razer's first-ever cases. At CES 2019, they displayed the Tomahawk Elite, which had gull-wing tempered glass doors, though it was only a proof of concept. At this year's CES they displayed the Tomahawk Gaming Desktop, a pre-built, but they didn't release that either. Then there's the smattering of case collaborations they've done in the past, mostly with NZXT.

The Tomahawk series are Razer's first cases that are without-a-doubt coming to market: they're already available for pre-order, shipping on November 5. And if you ignore the cases' striking similarity to the Lian Li Lancool II, then they're definitely cases designed wholly by Razer. (When asked about this by Tom's Hardware, Razer said they’d "prefer to not share any details" about their partnerships.)

Irrespective of the origin of these cases, they appear quite nice, at least on paper. They're both made of SPCC Steel 0.8 mm thick, and both have those enormous detachable rear-swivel tempered glass side panels. They share a top I/O configuration of two USB 3.2 ports, one USB 3.2 Type-C port, one microphone port, one microphone/headphone combo port, reset and power buttons. And they both have an RGB underglow effect powered by Razer Chroma, though it seems like the backlit Razer logo on the front only comes in green.

The Tomahawk A1 ATX (above) comes in at 30 pounds, or 13.5 kg, and is fairly large at 19.5" (50 cm) tall, 9.3" (24 cm) wide, and 18.7" (48 cm) long. It has seven expansion slots and can take three 3.5" HDDs at the bottom, plus two 2.5" SSDs at the back. The clearances are pretty standard: GPUs up to 384 mm in length, PSUs up to 210 mm, and radiators up the top can be up to 360 mm. And there are dust filters on all the intakes and exhausts.

The Tomahawk M1 Mini-ITX (above) is much the same, and quite standard if a little large for a Mini-ITX case. It's 12.7" (32 cm) tall, 8.1" (20 cm) wide, 14.5" (37 cm) long, and weighs 13 pounds or 5.8 kg. It's got three 2.5" drive bays, and can take SFX and SFX-L PSUs, and GPUs up to 320 mm in length. It's got room for a 240 mm radiator, but only of the AIO variety, judging from the images.

On the whole, the Tomahawks look like cool, but pricey cases. If you dig the look, and don’t mind that the front panel could be a little limiting on airflow, give Razer's first (real) cases a try.

Permalink to story.

I fail to see any advantage to glass sides in the case. Do you constantly stare at the computer case when using the computer? And I ask the same question about all the lighting effects. It all reminds me of the marketing behind personal hygiene products where they "create" a need that never existed before. Oh yes, I use deodorant but I'm not wasting my hard earned money on "pretty". Better to spend it on a meaningful upgrade that yields results!

I fail to see any advantage to glass sides in the case. Do you constantly stare at the computer case when using the computer? And I ask the same question about all the lighting effects. It all reminds me of the marketing behind personal hygiene products where they "create" a need that never existed before. Oh yes, I use deodorant but I'm not wasting my hard earned money on "pretty". Better to spend it on a meaningful upgrade that yields results!
I like the fact that I can see if a fan is spinning or if a cable is loose and see the trouble code readout without taking the side off.

What happened to the chinese cheap manufacturers if it is normal to buy a stupid case in the price of a cpu or gpu? where is the technology or other value in the case to advocate such price?

I like the fact that I can see if a fan is spinning or if a cable is loose and see the trouble code readout without taking the side off.
I like it when it conducts heat not the opposite. having a right side in glass has no see-through advantage anyway

Razer will do anything to give an excuse to charge more. When will the fad-loving carrot-chasing people ever learn?

As stupid as RGB-craze is, it's even worse when the people buy headphones (!!!) with RGB lighting. Something even the wearer can't appreciate.

I too wonder if someone who is crazy about RGB lighting inside the casing, will be looking at the casing OR the screen while busy playing????

The advantage for me is getting to look at something I built and take pride in it. I'm not into fancy cars or clothes, but I do enjoy looking at my pretty PC lights and meticulous wire management. It's not for everyone, and that's why there are cases still made with no glass side panels..

The ITX layout is actually not bad: It looks to be a kind of variation on the famous NCase M1 but instead of giving you only side mounting radiator it uses glass and gives you top mounting radiator.

It means it probably will be taller in height so not quite as optimized but also has potentially more breathing room for the GPU: As long as the bottom intake is plenty and is not obstructed by short, stubby feet on the case or too much mesh it has a good bottom-to-top airflow.

It's different enough and for the competitors like the NCase M1, Ghost S1, etc. 180 USD is actually a reasonable price if it competes in quality with those other products, specially since availability could end up being a lot better than the smaller niche case manufacturers that make you go to preorders and have been pretty much impossible to ship outside the US during the pandemic.

Last edited:
The advantage for me is getting to look at something I built and take pride in it. I'm not into fancy cars or clothes, but I do enjoy looking at my pretty PC lights and meticulous wire management. It's not for everyone, and that's why there are cases still made with no glass side panels..

My thoughts exactly.

Speaking of fancy cars, why does one drive a Ferrari, or a Mercedes, over a Toyota? It has no advantage in buying an expensive car to drive (within the law) if you just want to drive from point A to point B, all those bells and whistles are pointless; heck they even cost more fuel probably. And fancy clothes, why have fashion at all, why even dress differently? Sometimes, things are done for purely vanity and pride reasons, and that's fine. If is not for vanity, we will all be using beige or gray blocks of steel with holes in them. Forget glass panel, things like RGB, cable management cutouts, PSU shroud, they all contribute to cost and not necessarily to outright performance.

A couple degrees on core temps, a couple of frames per second on the game, a few minutes off the render that you do as a hobby, does it really matter that much? For people that care, there are other cases/open test benches.

Knowing Razer the glass panel will shatter within a few months
Another thing is they've made an rgb prepaid visa card
What's next rgb glasses?! An rgb bed?!?

Back