Razer launches $50 Kraken X wired gaming headset

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Razer's new Kraken X gaming headset is a relative rarity in this price range considering it features 7.1 surround sound instead of standard stereo audio. Speaking of, Razer is also providing 7.1 surround sound capability to all of its 2019 over-the-ear headsets priced under $99.

Razer on Thursday launched the Kraken X, an ultra-light 7.1 surround sound gaming headset that retails for under $50.

Featuring a redesign that slims down the Kraken profile to just 250 grams (0.55 pounds), the new Kraken X also packs soft memory foam ear cushions, an adjustable headband and glasses-friendly eyewear channels which collectively lead to what Razer calls “superior comfort all day long.”

You also get a bendable cardioid microphone and volume controls on the earcup. Hardware specifications of the headphones and microphone are as follows:

Headphones

• Frequency response: 12 Hz – 28 kHz
  • Impedance: 32 Ω @ 1 kHz
  • Sensitivity (@1 kHz): 106 dB
  • Drivers: 40 mm, with Neodymium magnets
  • Inner ear cup diameter: 65 x 44 mm
  • Connection type: Analog 3.5 mm
  • Cable length: 1.3 m / 4.27 ft.
  • Approx. weight: 250g / 0.55lbs
  • Oval ear cushions: Designed for full-ear coverage with leatherette, for sound isolation and comfort

Microphone

• Frequency response: 100 Hz – 10 kHz
  • Signal-to-noise ratio: ≥ 55 dB
  • Sensitivity (@1 kHz): -42 ± 3 dB
  • Pick-up pattern: Unidirectional ECM boom

The standard Kraken X is available in classic black while the Kraken X for Console is additionally offered in black with blue highlights. Both utilize a wired connection with a 3.5mm headphone jack, making them compatible with a range of devices including the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC and mobile devices.

Pricing is set at $49.99 and can be ordered from today via Razer's website.

Permalink to story.

I have a set of razer kraken pro and they have done really well....over a year old been worn 12 hours a day for most days sounds great with their surround sound prog. No sign of damage, apart from grimy earcups quick wash good as new. I think the sound is really good(my other sets of headphone are seinheisser pxc 550 and hd25`s ). Just my pennies worth.

Razer product quality is a hit or miss. I've owned their Mamba wireless, Orachi, and Lachesis. All are solid devices, save for the wireless Mamba.

The Mamba's battery started to bloat and a replacement wasn't available, so it ended up being relegated to a wired mouse. It's unfortunate because it's by far the best mouse I've ever used -- and yes, I have used other brands of mice, so I'm not a Razer fanboi by any means.

For now, I'm using a Logitech G602. That too has an issue. Namely the middle mouse button stopped clicking, so I had to gerry-rig it to function properly again. Jt's a band-aid solution in and of itself. I just need to find a better wireless mouse comparable to the Mamba.

Razor has some of the worst quality I've ever seen in a gaming peripherals company. I've had a few of their products and every single one of them felt cheap and or broke in an unreasonably short amount of time. My Razor Naga lasted me like 8 months before the right click worked like 50% of the time. I've had two Razor headsets and both were really uncomfortable and eventually developed a static sound in the background. Each of them lasted less than a year. Corsair makes way better products.

Every brand has problems. Razer sells more, so more problems are reported. Look at recent logitech fiasco on the g pro wireless double click issue, or steelseries rival 310 side grips falling apart.

Every brand has problems. Razer sells more, so more problems are reported. Look at recent logitech fiasco on the g pro wireless double click issue, or steelseries rival 310 side grips falling apart.
Did Razer, Logitech, Steelseries ever realeased any audio product that is deemed accetable?
I don't thik so.
Your apology "something is equaly bad" is hillarious.

Did Razer, Logitech, Steelseries ever realeased any audio product that is deemed accetable?
I don't thik so.
Your apology "something is equaly bad" is hillarious.

No is not hilarious,every brand has faulty products, did you ever work on a pc hardware store? The fact razer outsells their competitors means more flawed products. Razer isnt any worse than any other brand on RMA %

No is not hilarious,every brand has faulty products, did you ever work on a pc hardware store? The fact razer outsells their competitors means more flawed products. Razer isnt any worse than any other brand on RMA %
I actually have access to RMA statistics in the second biggest store in this country :D imagine that.

Razer has always struck me as aesthetics over quality. They look slick, but the first time I actually got hands on with their products, I was very underwhelmed by the build quality. Very cheap and brittle plastic throughout.

Care to share then?
Ofcorse ... no.
Internal RMA stastics ... yeah, right.
BTW. minimal warranty in your country is 2 years as well? I hope it is :) It just ucurred to me, you might have "your RMA statistics" a bit easier on brands. Not many devices die in a year, even my L903 died 1,75 year later.

Last edited:
Ofcorse ... no.
Internal RMA stastics ... yeah, right.
BTW. minimal warranty in your country is 2 years as well? I hope it is :) It just ucurred to me, you might have "your RMA statistics" a bit easier on brands. Not many devices die in a year, even my L903 died 1,75 year later.

Yeah it is 2 years here too. Idk, I never seen razer having more problems than other brands. Maybe they are overpriced sometimes I reckon

Back