Razer launches PC chassis design licensing program

Shawn Knight

Staff member

razer case pc case designed by razer licensing program

It may seem like a no-brainer to the end-user, but designing a PC chassis is no easy feat. It’s the reason why that out of the thousands of cases that have hit the market and the hundred or more that I’ve looked at personally, only a small handful manage to get most everything “right.”

Razer understands these challenges which is why they’ve launched a PC case design licensing program for third-party case manufacturers. Instead of building PC cases on their own, Razer will lend their design experts to established chassis builders.

As outlined in a press release on the matter, each case is subject to a rigorous vetting process by Razer’s design and engineering teams prior to approval. Every design feature of a licensed case will be directed by Razer in collaboration with the selected partner.

Razer selected NZXT as the launch partner for the design initiative and together, they’ve built the H440 – Designed by Razer. The chassis supports up to regular ATX motherboards with seven expansion slots, eight internal drive bays, USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, watercooling support and multiple dust filters.

Interestingly enough, Razer has eliminated the front 5.25-inch drive bays – a move that I completely agree with as optical drives are going the way of the floppy drive in this digital age.

NZXT will manufacture and distribute the chassis through its retail channels starting next month priced at $149.99.

Interested case manufacturers can click here for more information on the licensing program.

Permalink to story.

I believe there is still a large market for CD/DVD drives. Two reasons come to mind, burning music CDs and DVDs for backup/movies.

5.25-inch drive bays have far more uses than just optical drives... plenty of hard drive doc bays that fit in them from single bay all the way to 5 bay spring lock for easy swap... people who buy this type of case are the ones who would use such things...

"Interestingly enough, Razer has eliminated the front 5.25-inch drive bays – a move that I completely agree with as optical drives are going the way of the floppy drive in this digital age".
Maybe where you come from but unfortunately not everybody in the world has the good fortune of having access to cheap, fast internet. Why do you think companies like Google & FB are so interested in granting just about the entire planet access to the internet... because they're good, generous guys who have the interests of their fellow man at heart? Yeah, right. For the vast majority especially in developing counties an optical drive is still a must and they'll be around for a good while longer.
On another note, I wouldn't dream of paying more for a Razer branded case with lime green lights and logo's when I could buy the exact same thing with NZXT branding for far less but then again that's just me.

Too many cases now are rectangles. I mean im not saying we should resort to the 2001, MY CASE LOOKS LIKE AN ALIEN mindset, but honestly too many people are obsessed with having serious/professional looking cases instead of fun ones.

I just finished a review on the H440 which will be published soon. It's a great case and this version looks very cool in my opinion. I also really liked the fact that they dropped the 5.25" bays. Every case has them and I never use them so its nice to have an option that doesn't include them. If you want 5.25" bays buy any other mATX case or bigger ;)

Meh..

file under "file 101" - (American for the trash can) like the last case they were going to launch...

"Interestingly enough, Razer has eliminated the front 5.25-inch drive bays – a move that I completely agree with as optical drives are going the way of the floppy drive in this digital age".
Maybe where you come from but unfortunately not everybody in the world has the good fortune of having access to cheap, fast internet. Why do you think companies like Google & FB are so interested in granting just about the entire planet access to the internet... because they're good, generous guys who have the interests of their fellow man at heart? Yeah, right. For the vast majority especially in developing counties an optical drive is still a must and they'll be around for a good while longer.
On another note, I wouldn't dream of paying more for a Razer branded case with lime green lights and logo's when I could buy the exact same thing with NZXT branding for far less but then again that's just me.

True. Not to mention http://www.frontx.com/ You can build any number of connections and ports and controls into a 5.25 inch drive bay. It's a great option for customizing.

I just finished a review on the H440 which will be published soon. It's a great case and this version looks very cool in my opinion. I also really liked the fact that they dropped the 5.25" bays. Every case has them and I never use them so its nice to have an option that doesn't include them. If you want 5.25" bays buy any other mATX case or bigger ;)

Those CD-rom bays make for great fan controller or watercooling reservoir spaces.
Should at least have the option still with some breakout type panel or something.

Back