Razer unveils Project Fiona, Ivy Bridge/Win 8 tablet for PC gamers

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Ever determined to capture the hearts and savings of gamers, Razer has unveiled a Windows 8 tablet at CES. In a press release, the company says standard tablets are too anemic for high-end gaming, but "Project Fiona" will supposedly allow PC gamers to enjoy their favorite titles on a compact mobile platform. In fact, the company goes as far as saying Project Fiona is the only tablet designed for PC gaming.

razer project fiona ivy bridge win tablet slate windows 8 ces 2012 gaming tablet

Razer hasn't offered a full rundown on the hardware (some specs probably aren't even finalized), but the manufacturer is sold on Intel's upcoming Ivy Bridge-based Core i7 processors. It's unclear if the device's graphics will be driven by a dedicated chip or Ivy Bridge's on-die solution, but it's reportedly capable of playing games such as H.A.W.X. 2, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine and Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Besides lacking horsepower, tablets tend to have clumsy controls for anything beyond specifically tailored casual games. Project Fiona will address the platform's limitations with one controller on each side. Both grips have an analog stick and at least four buttons. Naturally, this be accompanied by the obligatory multi-touch display and accelerometer(s), supplying developers with a hybrid array of input options.

Unfortunately, it seems Razer's enthusiasm isn't contagious as many PC gamers have shunned the concept. The debut YouTube video has more negative votes than positive and the top comments are those mocking the device. We'll reserve final judgment for later this year. Project Fiona is expected to launch for under $1,000 in late 2012 -- seemingly timed with the arrival of Microsoft's next operating system.

Permalink to story.

Razer manages to prove again they don't play games, much less use their own devices. Nobody goes outside to play any serious games, and especially not pay ~$1000 to do it. If I had that kind of money I'd build myself a decent computer and buy an Android/iPhone to play games when I'm bored if I happen to be outside.

Oh wait, that's what I did and it's been almost 2 years and hasn't failed.

As requested by Guest:

EDIT: Failure, the website doesn't like ASCII Picard.

Actually not a bad concept, provided you can remove the controllers easily for pad-only operation... and storage... Otherwise, it's just a bulky awkward package that will be horribly overpriced (if their pricing is anything like the Blade).

Like I said a week ago, for me, half the fun is building and maintaining my own rig. Overclocking and optimizing it to get every frame per second I can. A tablet for gaming doesn't excite me at all. It's almost a glorified 3ds or PSP. It would be better targeted towards the console generation than the traditional pc gamer.

Why do the FEW elitists think that everything should cater to their desires? The elitist likes to do his own tinkering, the average person is not capable of that. There are more average people than there are elitists. You think it's a wise business concept to cater to the minority when the majority can shell out more money? That's why they make what they call "high-end" products. Not to cater to whiny narcissists, but to cater to the working class individual who would like something better than a Dell but doesn't really understand the concept of modifying their own computer.

Ranger12 said:
Like I said a week ago, for me, half the fun is building and maintaining my own rig. Overclocking and optimizing it to get every frame per second I can. A tablet for gaming doesn't excite me at all. It's almost a glorified 3ds or PSP. It would be better targeted towards the console generation than the traditional pc gamer.

Consider this product more of a hybrid or bridge between the 2. This obviously won't target a "traditional PC gamer" since we tend to be, as a rule, more modder/hacker/upgrader than casual user. That doesn't mean that a product like this will not appeal to a portion of that crowd - I travel constantly, and my only avenue for decent gaming on the road right now is a handheld or gaming laptop, so something like this might be interesting to me. And, as the Guest before me pointed out, there is a potential for a huge casual or crossover market that lies somewhere down the ladder from the elite hardcore gamer population. This product could really do wonders in that nice fat marketplace, but my fear is that it won't get off the ground due to Razer's tendency to vastly overprice their hardware (look at the Blade for an example of this).

If it has removable controls (can be used as a normal tablet with detachable gaming pad) im impressed.
And yes, this is NOT obviously for hardcore PC gamers, and anyone who thinks this needs a good smack to reality.

Wow, these guys think they`re Apple, overpricing design...and moreover they are a company dedicated to hardcore gamers, but come up with this casual gamer thingy. Nobody plays CoH in the commuter train for God`s sake...

ikesmasher said:
If it has removable controls (can be used as a normal tablet with detachable gaming pad) im impressed.
And yes, this is NOT obviously for hardcore PC gamers, and anyone who thinks this needs a good smack to reality.

Why would you buy something with a "hardcore" price to not be "hardcore"?

Since when are we Mac users?

You know I might have actually bought their switchblade concept they brought to the last CES as it was kinda cool. This looks like a Wii U controller made to look like a playstation accessory.

And I thought the iPad was horribly overpriced...$1k is an insane amount of money for a 10in tablet, that could buy like 2x 7970s.

This is a good news to those who are pc gaming lover because Project Fiona is only intended for pc gaming only. This will be release in late 2012. The price of Project Fiona is quite expensive.

Back