TechSpot giveaway: Win a DJI Spark drone & a Star Wars BB-8 droid

Razer's "biggest unveiling" arrives next month, likely its first smartphone

By midian182 ยท 4 replies
Oct 12, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Back in July, rumors started circulating that Razer, a firm long known for its gaming peripherals, was considering making a smartphone aimed at hardcore gamers. Following CEO Min-Laing Tan’s confirmation last month that the company was developing a “mobile device,” it now looks as if the mysterious product will be unveiled on November 1.

Razer sent out a tweet yesterday advising people to “WATCH” for its biggest unveiling. It includes an image of a man holding what looks like a smartphone-shaped mobile device, as well as a link that directs to a sign-up page.

At the start of the year, Razer bought Nextbit, creator of the Robin smartphone, which was likely the first step toward a Razer smartphone/gaming device. This was Razer’s third major acquisition, following its purchase of gaming firm Ouya in 2015 and audio company THX a year later. It’s likely that Razer will utilize the technology it acquired from all three of these business deals in its mobile product.

It’ll be interesting to see if the Robin’s best-known feature — its ability to merge onboard storage with the cloud to save space — appears in Razer’s upcoming device. Nextbit ended support and sales of the Robin following the acquisition, which could suggest Razer is working on something that comes with similar technology.

Earlier this month, Min-Laing Tan may have given the world a first glimpse of the Razer phone. A photo was posted on Twitter that showed the CEO with what appears to be a smartphone-like device emblazoned with a Razer logo in his pocket.

Permalink to story.

2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,759   +1,151

Its probably a smartwatch or something equally useless. If Razer really did want to make a gaming phone they should give it a physical keyboard and cursor controller like a trackpad or stick. Imagine a beastly 6-inch mobile with landscape slider controls..better yet, with a tilting screen!

3. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Evangelist Posts: 736   +727

As if I would buy a razer phone. This is the same company that demanded you connect to "the cloud" for mouse drivers, and try to spin how there was no other way their mouse could work.

Nextbit tried to make a phone that used the cloud for most storage, apparently forgetting that data caps and low signal areas exist.

This unholy matrimony would be an appallingly terrible DRM laden cloud device with a 1 year lifespan for as much money as the iphone X, because razer.

4. amstech

amstech IT Overlord Posts: 1,837   +994

Nothing is as cheaply made and mysteriously crafted as an iPhone, one little spill and that thing breaks like a wet paper bag. I don't see this phone being any worse. Not hating on the iPhone just saying, my S6 is leaps and bounds ahead of all of them but maybe the newest models.

Far as this new possible Razer phone, I think it has massive potential...just think... that badass logo of Razer glowing on the phone as its loaded internals run past any phone available in terms of gaming performance. Get the design right, a good carrier and they could be onto something.

Just..easy on the glowing lights Razer, I don't want a party ball in my pocket.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,461   +3,180

The next Razer product I take an interest in will be the 1st one. I've never thought much of their products despite owning and hating two of their mice. I gave them a second chance by buying the 2nd mouse (Death Adder) and I disliked it more than the 1st (Diamondback). Never again anything Razer for me.