Razer's newest accessory is an electric SUV

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
WTF?! If you are a hardcore Razer gaming equipment fan, you probably already have one of its gaming phones. If that’s not hardcore enough for you, how about picking up its brand new electric SUV?

Chinese carmaker NIO announced on Friday that it has entered into a partnership with Razer and is releasing a limited edition eSUV.

The NIO ES6 Night Explorer Limited Edition looks more like a Razer-sponsored vehicle you’d find on a race track than an everyday driver. It has the signature neon green triple-snake logo and trim as well as Chroma LED lighting. It also has Hue lighting and THX Spatial Audio. Under the hood is a 544hp electric motor that can go 0-100km/h in 4.7 seconds.

Before you start taking out your checkbook, there are a few things you should know. First, only 88 of the vehicles will be made. As such, Night Explorer will set you back $67,419 (467,800 yuan), which is not a bad price for a collector considering there will be so few of them. Lastly, NIO is only releasing the Razer SUV in China. The Razer ES6 makes its debut at ChinaJoy 2019 electronics expo, where it will be the official car for the Razer esports team.

NIO’s press release also mentions that this is just the beginning of an ongoing partnership with Razer. It is unclear what this means, but presumably, if all 88 units fly off the lot, we can expect more Razer-branded vehicles down the road.

The NIO ES6 is not a bad looking vehicle, but the logo is a bit much for anyone but the most Razer-crazy fans.

Permalink to story.

For a today's car like this, with 544hp, and yet whole 4.7s for 0-60mph, that's a terrible result. Only a 10-15 year old power-train would be this inefficient.

For a today's car like this, with 544hp, and yet whole 4.7s for 0-60mph, that's a terrible result. Only a 10-15 year old power-train would be this inefficient.
Acceleration has to do with torque. HP=\=torque.

Horsepower = torque*RPM.

The output of an electric motor has a lot do with the size of the coil windings. The motor in this could be a cheaply designed high RPM electric motor that uses gear reduction instead of a high torque motor that can run 1:1

Last edited:
Why would you even compare a Tesla and a Lamborghini, Tesla fanboy?
because no matter the cost difference Lamborghini's capabilities cannot compare to Tesla's ... Even the one that's coming in 2020, roadster, will be faster than Bugatti and will only be 200k compared to Bugatti which goes for 2mil.. They might not have the best looking interior even trough I fckn* love it, yet I believe the future is electric

because no matter the cost difference Lamborghini's capabilities cannot compare to Tesla's ... Even the one that's coming in 2020, roadster, will be faster than Bugatti and will only be 200k compared to Bugatti which goes for 2mil.. They might not have the best looking interior even trough I fckn* love it, yet I believe the future is electric
But Tesla isn't supposed to be compared with a Lambo. It's a family saloon and it's made electric to "save the planet". Bugatti is a luxury brand hence the price. It also has a top speed that no Tesla can reach. You are comparing apples to oranges.

But Tesla isn't supposed to be compared with a Lambo. It's a family saloon and it's made electric to "save the planet". Bugatti is a luxury brand hence the price. It also has a top speed that no Tesla can reach. You are comparing apples to oranges.
Electric motors are objectively better at outputting power and torque than internal combustion engines. Tesla's were never meant to be compared to lambos, but because of how good the technology is THEY CAN BE. Tesla's beat lambos in a number of different aspects of performance without even trying.

As far as Bugatti goes, they aren't expensive just because they are a luxury brand, they are expensive because they are an example of human engineering can be when price is no object. Everything from the craftsmanship of the interior to the performance of the motor. It isn't hard to make big power, it's hard to make big power RELIABLE. Plenty of racecars make as much power as a Bugatti. The thing about it is that the race car engine has to be rebuilt after each race. Bugatti somehow has built a motor that outperforms racecars and can go 100,000+ miles without a rebuild.

The problem with Bugatti's current engineering philosophy is that the more power you make the more heat you make. There is only so much room on their vehicles for radiators and the ability to make more power is running out. Although these performance numbers are getting a bit silly. Cars can already go faster than what they're limited to, but we don't have roads or tires to allow them to go that fast. The real fun is in acceleration which means torque, not horsepower. And guess what type of motor has the torque crown....

Electric motors are objectively better at outputting power and torque than internal combustion engines. Tesla's were never meant to be compared to lambos, but because of how good the technology is THEY CAN BE. Tesla's beat lambos in a number of different aspects of performance without even trying.
I watched a few videos of P100D racing supercars, it has some of the best launches but the longer the race the worse it is for Tesla to compete. They defintely can be better but unless they're meant for racing there's no point, it can even be dangerous. Lambo is a car that you buy to show off, no matter the performance, like a gold watch. I generally agree with what you're saying.

As far as Bugatti goes, they aren't expensive just because they are a luxury brand, they are expensive because they are an example of human engineering can be when price is no object. Everything from the craftsmanship of the interior to the performance of the motor. It isn't hard to make big power, it's hard to make big power RELIABLE. Plenty of racecars make as much power as a Bugatti. The thing about it is that the race car engine has to be rebuilt after each race. Bugatti somehow has built a motor that outperforms racecars and can go 100,000+ miles without a rebuild.
I didn't want to make my comment too long so I didn't include that part about the pinnacle of human engineering. I'm not sure about those 100K+ miles you speak of, is there any Veyron or Chiron that has that many miles? I doubt it. Who drives a car like that on a daily basis?

The problem with Bugatti's current engineering philosophy is that the more power you make the more heat you make. There is only so much room on their vehicles for radiators and the ability to make more power is running out. Although these performance numbers are getting a bit silly. Cars can already go faster than what they're limited to, but we don't have roads or tires to allow them to go that fast. The real fun is in acceleration which means torque, not horsepower. And guess what type of motor has the torque crown....
I'm pretty sure electric cars have the same problem with heat. I heard, although it was some time ago so I may not remember correctly, that you can't drive Teslas for long in ludicrous mode or just quickly in general due to overheating batteries, hence the 250 km/h limit. If they want to make a racing car out of it, it's only gonna make heat harder to dissapate.

@Nobina I remember hearing a Bugatti engineer talk about some of the hurdles they had to overcome when designing something with that much power and keeping it reliable. I don't think there is any one that has driven that many miles but if I remember correctly, their goal was to make a car that was reliable in excess of 100,000 kilometers.

But my point with Tesla's is that they were never meant to beat racecars but still can. Of course they can't compete on a race track but still do fine on drag strips. I also think Tesla's are electronically limited to 150MPH which goes with what you said about the longer the race the worse they do.

But it's been my experience that most of the fun of driving is from a torque monster between 40 and 120-130.

Gas powered cars will always have there place. I also think that if we find sold forms of renewable energy or fusion stops being 30 years away, we can simply pull CO2 out of the atmosphere, take hydrogen from water and simply make gasoline. Further, hydrocarbons made that way are far cleaner burning than fuels distilled from crude oil. This makes gasoline effectively a carbon neutral fuel. If that ever becomes reality then electric cars will become nearly obsolete. I can understand if places where they want cleaner air still want EVs to be the main form of transportation.

Back