Re: Copying programs to new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

the grip

I have purchased a new laptop. The OS is Windows XP Service Pack2. The laptop I have now has Window XP Service Pack3. I have a couple questions about moving to this new computer.

1) Should I update to Service Pack3 before doing anything else?
2) I have an external hard drive that I use Acronis True Image Home 2009 to back up my hard drive onto. Is there a way to only backup the programs I want to and then move them to the new computer? Or is it better to reinstall these programs from CD's?
3) Also is there anything I haven't thought of that I should do with the new computer before transferring my old applications?

If you need any of the technical information from my new laptop or old laptop please let me know. Thank you in advance for all your help.

1. Yes update to SP3, before doing any extra program install
Actually I removed my Antivirus software (after a full scan first of course) and firewall (let alone standard other programs) before installing SP3

Note: Also do all the further Windows Security updates after SP3 as well ;)

2. It's better to reinstall these programs from CDs (moving programs is possible, but extremely difficult, and certainly never advised to do)
Actually, you really shhould download the most up to date versions of the programs first (if available)

3. Yes. Make a backup image of it first
Actually, you probably received a restore CD, or image on a hidden Disk partition, that'll be fine :)

By the way, before transferring anything, make sure you have an Antivirus installed (I recommend the free Avira Antivirus
You may want to do a full defrag too, if there are a few gigs of stuff coming over, or to be installed

I think that answers everything :)

Re: Thank you

Thank you so much...that really helped. One last question. I use Kaspersky, will that be OK for the antivirus? I know sometimes it has conflicts, but I do want to make sure my system is secure.

Thanks again for your advice...I never even thought about defragging. I'm so glad I check here before I do anything. That always saves me time and headaches.

I like Kaspersky but I feel the Internet Security (ie KIS) is a bit over the top on system resource. And Kaspersky Antivirus (paid for version) is not as good as free Avira

I suppose it's user choice ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back