Realtech on board sound not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My hard drive malfunctioned so was replaced, i am in the process of installing everything back onto my computer, i am having great difficulty in getting my sound to work.
i've got:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A-H/HDMI (motherboard) with onboard sound ( Realtek HD Audio output)

i have updated all the drivers, checked the bios settings, device manager does not highlight any issues, my speakers are working properly.

i'd really appreciate some help as its driving me nuts!

thanks!

What do you see in the Device Manager
Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager...
Any yellow or red flags?

there are no red or yellow flags, they're all enabled and working according to device manager.
i've upgraded all my drivers, the device manager recognises them

• Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

i tried that, there's nothing wrong

when i first set my computer up i had a similar problem, being silly i didnt write down what i did to fix it, but i know it had something to do with the UAA bus

Well...

1. The "UAA" thing is critical to having your sound card work
2. But if your sound card is truly enabled in your BIOS AND no Problem Devices (as you just report) then it's not a UAA problem
3. Click Run->Start, enter: dxdiag, Wait for the DirectX tools status of Done (lower left corner). Click Troubleshooting buttons on Sound and More Help tabs. (If the sound card shows no problem yet you hear no sound: it's either configuration and/or wiring issue to the cards (you using internal or external spearkers? If your computer has internal speakers troubleshoot those first) or some hardware has gone dead :dead:

Ok, good.
as for the MMDRIVER.inf

That is the standard Windows 2000 and Windows XP default sound CODECS that is installed from a clean slate when you do a clean install. Normally the default Windows install must have CODECS to play sound in Windows. It will be installed for each installation.

When Windows setup does not find or detect a sound card, these default Microsoft built-in CODECS may not installed. When the sound card is added or the sound card driver is installed later on, some cheap low end sound card drivers do not detect the availability of these default CODECS and install one if not exist, although most branded or high end sound card drivers such as those from Creative Labs will handle this scenario properly.

This can sometimes create a situation where you have no sound output from the system.
You can check to see if your system is impacted by these missing default Windows CODECS: First, go to Start->Control Panel-> Sound and Audio Controllers. Next, click on the hardware tab. Choose the Audio CODECS entry and then select Properties.

If you having this error and no sound heard, you will likely to find only 2-3 entries of CODECS in the listing. This will be the specific cause if you have not applied the registry patch to fix Flash no sound issue.

This patch to the registry fix can add back the sound drives mapping. However, if the required *.acm files are missing then those registry mapped codecs usually do not work. You can manually install the default codec manually to ensure the required files are copied.

You can install these codecs manually as follows:

Click on Start ->Control Panel
Click on Add Hardware
Click on Next
Select Yes, I have already connected the hardware”
Then click Next
Choose Add a new hardware device near the bottom of the list
Click Next
Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)
Click Next.
Select Sound, video and game controllers from Common hardware types
Click Next
Choose Standard System Devices from Manufacturer or similar wording. To install or reinstall video CODECS, select “(Standard system devices)” from Manufacturer and “Video CODECS from “Model” instead.
Choose Have Disk
Select Browse in the Install From Disk dialog box. Navigate to folder C:\Windows\System32, and then locate MMDRIVER.inf file. Highlight MMDRIVER.inf and click Open or you may be able to click (double) on MMDRIVER.inf file
Click OK in the Install From Disk dialog box.
Click on Continue Anyway button if you get a logo compatibility warning.
You should get a list of supported Audio Codecs supported by the MMDRIVER.inf on the Add Hardware List

Good luck.

raybay points out some excellent general info. I'll add
  1. General info about Windows and Windows device drivers that might help the general reader
  2. Specific instructions for annaknechtel. Check back as sometime over the next several hours (as soon as have the chance) i'll add an EDIT at the end of this post with another "to-do"
  • In general, .INF extension indicates a "Driver Setup Installation File"
  • Windows uses an INF file to tell it how to install one or more drivers (An INF file can hold instructions about more then just one driver)
  • When Windows needs a driver, it searches through a pre-defined set of locations on your computer to find INF files. It uses the set of INF files it finds to tell it the set of drivers it has to choose from when it comes time to do a driver install
  • That's also why "Add hardware" wizard allows you to browse to a new folder or removable disk you;ve just inserted so you can also point Windows to an additional location containing INF files to include in its search!
  • So to specifcally answer your question "What is MMDriver.INF?" It's the Driver Setup Installation File for standard MultiMedia drivers for Windows

Heyy thanks guys!
i've got sound woo!

However the sound only seems to work if i plug headphones into the correct headphone jack, i've got 5.1 speakers and they're not working when i plug them in, i know which jacks each cable goes to, the speakers do work on other computers, could it be possible that some of the jacks aren't working properly? or is it likely to be a driver related issue again?
if it helps one of the usb hubs also does not work.

It is likely that your connection is plugged into the wrong one of the three holes... Try all three.

Hey! Congrats! :grinthumb

Could you let us know just what you did (for example, if you recall which if any of the MultiMedia Windows drivers you installed from MMDrivers.inf?)

Sounds like your problem is configuration and/or cabling issue. I can check for relevant documentation that may help (tho again, probably not till much later in the day) but if you also give us any info on what you found/did to correct your problem will be great.

Is good to have sound again on one's computer for sure!

So here's some additional info as promised...

• My guess is still: your USB problem isn't related to your current sound issue. And for USB
    • Take a look at the last several BIOS releases for your computer as I see they list several bug fixes reference USB. BIOS upgrades should be done if needed and should be done carefully. See also How to flash/update your BIOS
    • Be certain to also review the motherboard manuals before any BIOS upgrade attempt as ASUS has several utilities that can help make it run smoothly
    • If there's a choice, is always best to run a BIOS upgrade from a bootable CD vs. running it from within a Windows utility if only because when it runs under Windows there's always the unknown of Windows having unexpected problems just cause its Windows!
    • Probably a good idea to review the recent chipset drivers for your motherboard as well and reinstall couldn't hurt
  • Download the latest manuals for your M/B from the ASUS. You'll find it includes:
    => Description of front and rear panel connectors and info about hooking up your cables
    => Info about your Realtek audio onboard chip
    => Visit the Realtek site for additional info/manuals/etc. once you have the Realtek chip number you'll find in the ASUS manual

And am still curious what ya did to finally hear that sound! ;)

yes, agree that sounds most likely (pun intended ;) )... but am curious about any further particulars such as if annaknechtel
=> might recall which drivers were re-installed
=> if simply tried reinstalling all MMDrivers.INF
=> if even there were other steps involved, etc.

Curious both out of technical curiosity (so I might learn what might have been missing and i could look at realtek driver installers for the ASUS motherboard to see if i could tell why driver installers missed them!)

as well as just general info as might help to apply it to someone else's problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back