Realtek High Definition Audio has a driver problem

Hello
I have an Aspire E1-571 O/S Windows 8 and the speaker icon has a red X on it on my desktop , I have tried to update driver through device manager, under Sound, Video and game controllers is Realtek High Definition Audio with a yellow exclemation also under system devices there is an exclemation on High Definition Audio Controller.It says disabled above the speaker icon when I place cursor in top right hand of the screen to expand the start menu. I really need HELP with this issue. is there a difinitive way to confirm sound card is dead . All assistance greatly appreciated.
joe

If it was dead, it probably wouldn't show up in the device manager. Try downloading the most up to date driver from the >>Realtek site<<. Download the "64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows 8.1 Driver only (Executable file)" from the server of choice. That should fix the issue, if it does not, the sound card could have a problem. Did the issue just suddenly occur?

Hello JC713
I rarely used the volume and just noticed the red X 3-4 days ago, I have tried downloading the driver from Acer.com and installing it , it keeps saying best software already installed.
I will try to download from Realtek site should I download the AC97 codecs

Back