Reboot and select proper boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built a new machine. It has a ECS A770M-A mother board, AMD 4400+ 2.3 GH dual core processor, 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM, ECS GeForce 6 Series 256 MB Video card, a 250 GB IDE HD and a IDE DVD drive installed. When I boot up I receive the errorr "Reboot and select proper boot device" I go into BIOS and it does not recognize either the HD or DVD drive. In the BIOS the onboard IDE controller is set to Primary, Onboard SATA is set to enabled, and the SATA config is set to IDE. Can anyone offer any advice?

Might seem dumb but, have you attached the drives to the PSU?

If they're both sharing the same ATA cable have you configured the drives for Master/Slave with the HDD being the Master?

If all of that is okay, try one of the drives alone, try a different ATA cable, try another host adapter on the motherboard if you've got more than one.

:) Post back with your results.

Thanks for the reply.

Everything is attached. They are sharing a cable as my MB only has one IDE slot. HD is set to master DVD set to slave. I can not try just the HD being there is no OS on it. I have tried just the DVD with the same results. I have tried 3 cables, all returning the same error

It doesn't matter if there's an OS or not just to have it detected in the BIOS. I'll go skim through your motherboard's manual in a few minutes, try only the HDD set as "Single" or "Master" and see if the BIOS picks it up.

*Edit*

I don't see anything in the manual worth looking at. The best I can suggest is to flash your BIOS if you've got a floppy drive, and if that doesn't do anything your host adapter might be defective. You can buy a PCI card with ATA host adapters on it, if you're interested in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back