Recommend 1 TB SSD please

Sarmad

Hi,

I'm looking for a 1 TB SSD to replace my Samsung 500 GB 850-EVO SSD, with SATA connection. Can someone please recommend a good one to buy that's reliable, durable, good read/write speed, etc? My intention is to clone my existing system drive (Windows 10) into one partition in it and clone my previous SSD (Windows 7) into another partition so I have a dual boot-up options; as currently I have some old software which only work in Win-7 and I don't want to keep opening my PC to swap the drives out physically.

Thanks.

The big names like Samsung and Intel are worth the extra money..
Spend time checking things out before embarking on the project. You are going to be putting all your eggs in one basket. If the W7 drive is one you used to upgrade into W10 there may be extra problems. Microsoft doesn't like two copies of an OS on the same computer. I tried that once for backup purposes and it soon turned bad. You could use a virtual solution like VMWare Workstation (free). That way you boot W7 from inside W10 which is the Host OS. W7 would be the Guest OS. VMWare Workstation creates a virtual copy of W7 for you. Dual booting isn't something I've ever tried but whatever you do make sure that essential personal stuff is backed up.

@Sarmad I'm with @Puiu on this one. The Samsung drives are well worth the extra few bucks,especially concerning their excellent, bordering on spectacular, migration software.

I'm a simple man of humble needs, and I don't bother with the bundled bullsh!t nonsense like "boost" and such.

But with with just the migration protocol, you could probably be back up and running in half an hour, with a smoke break, should you be so inclined.

Just prepare for the swap by moving all data files, (durty pitchurs and such) to a secondary drive first, so the migration software has to contend with as little as possible, other than the OS and installed programs.

When the migration is completed, Windows is still activated (!), and I always keep the old drive as a spare, in case of a meltdown.

@bazz2004 is correct about the two copies of Windows on the same machine regarding the update path to Win 10. I think, Win 10 would be running off the same license key as the Win 7. The update to 10 was supposed to be "free", but I've always been skeptical of that claim

Last edited:
Back