Recommendations for sound card/speakers

vChRiSv

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good sound card/speakers. Right now I'm using the built-in audio from my motherboard and the built-in speakers on my monitor (audio wasn't my biggest concern when building my desktop).

I'd like to upgrade to a 2.1 speaker setup, but I don't know too much about sound cards or speakers. Any suggestions would be great.

Budget: $80-90 max for sound card, $150 max for speakers
**Canadian dollars, not U.S.
**will be purchasing from Tiger Direct, Canada Computers and Newegg... although the first two are preferred

Have a look at the Logitech LS 11 speakers. They are just stereo, plug into your audio out socket, they have a mains transformer you will need to plug in, but will be a big improvement on what you have.
If you want a lot more bass sound, then 2.1 is far more effective, and I bought the Logitech X230 for my PC, but now use them on my TV !
In my opinion, the bass can be too much, but if you roll up some paper and push it into the bass port, it reduces the bass output quite a bit, and with that mod I am happy with the sound I get. These still plug into the audio 'out' socket, and no mods needed to your pc.
If you want better sound than that, then you will need a 5.1 sound card, there are many, Trust, Genius, Soundblaster, prices vary greatly and could depend on where you live as to what choice you have.

Back