Red Dead Redemption 2 Review

Julio Franco

Staff member

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a profound, glorious downer. It is the rare blockbuster video game that seeks to move players not through empowering gameplay and jubilant heroics, but by relentlessly forcing them to confront decay and despair. Rockstar Games' new open-world western opus is exhaustively detailed and exhaustingly beautiful, a mammoth construction of which every nook and cranny has been polished to an unnerving shimmer.

Read the full article here.

Oh, another prequel, huh? All interest immediately vanished the moment I read that. And kudos to the writer for cleverly saving his regurgitation of discredited propaganda till almost the very end. Had that come sooner I would have immediately stopped reading - oh, and welcome to my blacklist, Mr. Hamilton. After two decades of millionaires and billionaires profiteering from climate scamming there's still not one shred of evidence that humanity is the primary driver of global warming or climate change or whatever their calling it this week.

Oh, another prequel, huh? All interest immediately vanished the moment I read that. And kudos to the writer for cleverly saving his regurgitation of discredited propaganda till almost the very end. Had that come sooner I would have immediately stopped reading - oh, and welcome to my blacklist, Mr. Hamilton. After two decades of millionaires and billionaires profiteering from climate scamming there's still not one shred of evidence that humanity is the primary driver of global warming or climate change or whatever their calling it this week.
Ok he gave his impression of the game, the last time I checked a review is something completely subjective and you find a way to discredit global warming that has nothing to do with a modern day game. What comes next? UFOs or probably an omnipotent being that created the universe in 6 days.

a quick google search will provide you with a wealth of knowledge. heres the first result. get your head out of the sand https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

excellent review btw

Not a review... more like a comment on how detailed it is, and how it mirrors "real life"...

The problem I see is that when it actually does talk about gameplay, almost everything is negative... lousy controls, confusing game systems, slow responsiveness...

And this from someone praising the game... think I'll pass...

You know, I was hoping for a game review. Not a doctorate thesis on the nature of man in the wild west along with a computer game development critique.
Maybe this will be better suited to your needs:
https://www.techspot.com/news/77102-red-dead-redemption-2-review-round-up-rockstar.html

Thanks Julio - that's exactly what I was looking for. And perusing other reviews on Metacritic, this looks like a slam-dunk Game of the Year winner. Now if they'd only get it out on the PC.

Thank you for the, uhm, commentary and impressions? I don't see how Rockstar's work culture has anything to do with a review? While I wasn't exactly sure if the author loved the game, I appreciated the attention to detail about the attention to detail. With adjectives like "Exhausting", "fundamentally unknowable", "rarely fun", it left me confused as to if the final impression was positive or negative? I had to go see other reviews to get that info, which is telling on its own.

a quick google search will provide you with a wealth of knowledge. heres the first result. get your head out of the sand https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

excellent review btw
It's not the science that's wrong it's the scientists

How come the reviewer is allowed to use the word "f ucking" (in the foliage/leaves description) without getting censored? So, the rule of censorship is only for the commentators? We can't even write ***** without getting censored. That's "I-diot" I wrote.

And you call this a review?

I will not purchase a console just to play this game.... I will not purchase a console just to play this game.... I will not purchase a console just to play this game.... I will not purchase a console just to play this game.... These next 12-18 months are going to be looooooooooooong

How come the reviewer is allowed to use the word "f ucking" (in the foliage/leaves description) without getting censored? So, the rule of censorship is only for the commentators? We can't even write ***** without getting censored. That's "I-diot" I wrote.

And you call this a review?
Because this was reposted from Kotaku.... and while an article may have an expletive, allowing people like us to use them will only lead to inflammatory conversations that result in banning.... If you have an extensive enough vocabulary, however, you can be just as vicious using "real" words :)

Seems dumb there's no pc release announced as of yet, As it would be nice to see it at a higher rez, better framerate, at max detail.. and jump on the band-wagon of Realtime(hybrid) raytracing (to play at 30fps kinda like a console but with good graphics).

excellent review btw
NASA should know better than to splice different measurements with vastly differing resolutions onto the same graph - lying with graphs 101 (no I don't doubt there is more free CO2 in the atmosphere now than before the industrial revolution but that graph is bad science) .

Ah, the life of a video game reviewer, spending 60 hours "playing" a game, saying the gameplay sucks, but hey "get immersed". Did every reviewer copy of this game come with a bag of shrooms?

A game review is not a very suitable place for discussing climate change, I'll give you that. It's kind of droning and annoying to do that in such a place.

But:
Not a shred of evidence? So you can just brush aside all the piles of evidence demonstrating to show just this, without any argument or evidence yourself? I'm pretty sure that's pretty much only believable if you're an ideologue, a conspiracy nutter. There's so much scientific literature on this, and the consensus is strong. Even some oil companies, like Shell, are admitting to our influence in this.

What makes you think the earth system is so hard to perturb? It's a highly complex and chaotic system, and has seen many drastic changes before, quite a few of them caused by organisms. I'm doubting pretty strongly that you have any semblance of understanding of the physics involved - that is university level physics, mind you.

Do you realize how strange it is that the US has the big majority of climate deniers? It probably has a lot to do with the influence of certain very large corporations, related to the fossil fuel industry. How can you ignore that side of the equation? Sure there's some economic interest in green energy, but the vested interests in the fossil fuel economy is MUCH large.
Fossil fuel industry: $5 trillion - https://about.bnef.com/blog/fossil-fuel-divestment-5-trillion-challenge/
Renewable energy industry: $1.5 trillion - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-2025---allied-market-research-669905413.html

Do you really think the Chinese government is shooting itself in the foot with the effort of changing their energy structure?

I will not purchase a console just to play this game.... I will not purchase a console just to play this game.... I will not purchase a console just to play this game.... I will not purchase a console just to play this game.... These next 12-18 months are going to be looooooooooooong

Same here!

I like the review , although yeah a PC version (surely this is being raytraced and dlss to hell and back ?) NOT a fan of exploitative work practices.. the underlings work and burn out and the overlings pocket the rewards. Will buy it when its on Pc and on sale , maybe, if its playable ...

Back