Red Dead Redemption 2 runs best on Xbox One X

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Digital Foundry takes an in-depth look at Red Dead Redemption 2 across all four consoles and finds the Xbox One X to offer the best overall experience. If you're torn between what console to go with or are just now jumping into consoles to play this title, this is a very helpful watch.

Red Dead Redemption 2 launches on Friday as I’m sure you’re well aware of by now. For many, it’s not a question of if they’ll get the game, but for which console they’ll be buying. With Windows PC support not yet available and the Nintendo Switch out of the running, you’ve got two choices: the PlayStation 4 or the Xbox One.

Except, technically, you have four choices when you also consider the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X. And according to Digital Foundry, you should absolutely consider running Red Dead Redemption 2 on one of these higher-powered mid-cycle consoles.

Spoiler – it apparently looks and plays best on Xbox One X.

Digital Foundry discovered that environments are equally as lush across all platforms and that rendering effects are nearly a perfect match. Furthermore, draw distances and pop-in shouldn’t vary noticeably between consoles. Where the Xbox One X edges out the competition, however, is in terms of resolution as RDR2 runs natively at 4K on Microsoft’s beefy system.

The PS4 Pro uses a reconstruction technique to scale the native 1,920 x 2,160 framebuffer up to 4K although the temporal anti-aliasing solution is said to “muddy the waters” a bit.

For a better idea of what kind of experience you can expect from each console, be sure to check out Digital Foundry’s video on the matter. It runs half an hour long but if you’re truly torn between consoles, it could help make your decision a bit easier.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

You have to wait to play the best version on PC. But if you want 60 fps with HDR and 4K NOW, then drop $600 for an xbox one x!

Is rockstar getting paid commission from Microsoft by delaying it for PC?

If you buy the digital version of it from the microsoft store for the normal xbox one and download it, when it comes out for PC you can get it free if it's xbox play anywhere. Because you already bought it DIGITALLY for xbox one. Only if you buy it digitally though.

But you buy it for xbox one NOW digitally, you don't get HDR unlike the PS4 version. Should I buy the PS4 version instead? Then I'll have to buy it again for PC?

I think I'll buy it for PS4 now, get HDR now and enjoy the game with the motion enhancement my SONY 65X850D gives turning 30 fps to 60 fps. That's good enough to enjoy the game with HDR 60 fps. Then when it comes out for PC, there may be a liberated version of it. LOL

Way to go

Eh GTA5 I played once on the consoles, traded it and forgot about it. When it came to PC albeit over a year later I played it again and kept it, it was far faaaaaaaaar better than the console versions.

I will play this on console, trade it and forget about it. Maybe it'll come to PC, maybe it won't. If it does then I can enjoy it all over again on a platform that would be able to do it justice. The simple fact is if developers really want the fully realised vision of their game, they have to bring it to PC.

I think they will this time, since GTA5 was such a massive success on PC.

If you buy the digital version of it from the microsoft store for the normal xbox one and download it, when it comes out for PC you can get it free if it's xbox play anywhere. Because you already bought it DIGITALLY for xbox one. Only if you buy it digitally though.

It won't be a play anywhere title.

Your loss. It's a great system.
Not denying it's a great system, as I said, it's the most powerful system and therefore, plays games the best, but the truth is, if you have a Gaming PC and an Xbox, you miss out on the PS4 exclusives, if you have a PC and a PS4, you get most Xbox games on the PC.

Maybe next round, I bet Microsoft are cooking up some nice first party exclusives for the next gen. And won't launch with an online requirement, a camera requirement or any of the other rubbish this gen was plagued with.

Not denying it's a great system, as I said, it's the most powerful system and therefore, plays games the best, but the truth is, if you have a Gaming PC and an Xbox, you miss out on the PS4 exclusives, if you have a PC and a PS4, you get most Xbox games on the PC.

Maybe next round, I bet Microsoft are cooking up some nice first party exclusives for the next gen. And won't launch with an online requirement, a camera requirement or any of the other rubbish this gen was plagued with.

I got around that issue by having a Gaming PC, XBOX and PS4 :p

I sure hope they focus on 1st party in future, all they really have is Gears, HALO, Crackdown and Forza.

I agree PlayStation has so many good exclusives hence the necessary purchase.

Microsoft killed their system right out the gate will all those restrictions. Since then they've arguably got the best system by way of raw horsepower and customer focused features (gamepass, backwards compat, cross play and more open standards).
Hope they keep it up and not revert to their 360 proprietary peripheral days.

I got around that issue by having a Gaming PC, XBOX and PS4 :p

I sure hope they focus on 1st party in future, all they really have is Gears, HALO, Crackdown and Forza.

I agree PlayStation has so many good exclusives hence the necessary purchase.

Microsoft killed their system right out the gate will all those restrictions. Since then they've arguably got the best system by way of raw horsepower and customer focused features (gamepass, backwards compat, cross play and more open standards).
Hope they keep it up and not revert to their 360 proprietary peripheral days.
Indeed, I feel they've really learnt their lesson the hard way, hope that means it'll stick and they won't mess it up again.

I've read rumors that the next Playstation will not be a "conventional" console, A few hints it could be something like the Switch. If this is true, I hope Microsoft doesn't try to copy. Either that or Sony are preparing a new Vita? Who knows.

PS4 Pro and a gaming PC is by far the best combination this generation. You don't need an Xbox.

I do have one but I never use it. It just sits there and does nothing. I think I only keep it because I can't be bothered to wipe it and try and sell it etc.

Switch and a gaming PC is by far the best combination this generation. You don't need an Xbox.

I do have one but I never use it. It just sits there and does nothing. I think I only keep it because I can't be bothered to wipe it and try and sell it etc.
FTFY. Outside on one or two exclusives, everything that takes advantage of the PS4 pro is also available on the PC. The switch, OTOH, has a huge library exclusive to it, and those games dont usually have a PC equivalent.
So the most powerful console, plays the game the best? What a shock...

Still wouldn't buy an Xbox though!

The hard drive is still innacessable unless you dissassemble the system, risk getting banned from xbox live, and have to jump through hoops to format it first.

Meanwhile the PS4 takes all of 2 minutes to swap a HDD.

Considering how big games are and hor often HDDs fail, that is a massive design flaw.

FTFY. Outside on one or two exclusives, everything that takes advantage of the PS4 pro is also available on the PC.

Simply not true. No fixing required. There is no God of War on PC, there is no Last of Us, Persona, Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadow of the Colossus, Journey or Spiderman equivalents. There are a great deal of unique titles only on Sony's machine, and nowhere else.

The Switch is also a unique platform and essential for people who like Nintendo games, I simply wasn't considering it in this discussion as it wasn't mentioned prior.

PS4 Pro and gaming PC is what you need. The point was with Xbox you can get virtually everything essential elsewhere, as in the exact same games. Usually superior on a good PC, in addition to the PC only games and best multi plats.

I didn't see a tremendous difference even between XB1 and XB1X. The weak CPU does its job. But there is a sweet candy for Canadians. Microsoft gives $130 credit if you buy XB1 and RDR2 so you can get XB1X bundled with Forza 4 and RDR2 for $548.99 for example that makes the console price as low as $468.99. If you want to play RDR2 on XB1X right now the deal is pretty good.

Same for me even with Live and GamePass for $1. But XB1 can do one thing perfectly... streaming video from PC. The hardware decoder does the job absolutelly amazing. The difference between a software players and XB1 is able to stun sometimes. And if somebody doesn't have optical or digital audio port on PC then XB1 fixes it too. However it does not have impact on games.

Last edited:

Yeah forcing us to buy kinect day one and charging extra $100 over the price of ps4 AND giving us weaker hardware was a ripoff. Now most good games are on PC now like Gears 4, Forza Horizon 4, Motorsport 7, Ryse Son of Rome just to name a few... The only game for xbox one worthy of purchase is Halo 4 and backwards compatibility with 360 titles.

A high end PC is where it's at unless they bring out many XBOX ONE X exclusives that would warrant a purchase

You have to wait to play the best version on PC. But if you want 60 fps with HDR and 4K NOW, then drop $600 for an xbox one x!

But you buy it for xbox one NOW digitally, you don't get HDR unlike the PS4 version. Should I buy the PS4 version instead? Then I'll have to buy it again for PC?

I think I'll buy it for PS4 now, get HDR now and enjoy the game with the motion enhancement my SONY 65X850D gives turning 30 fps to 60 fps. That's good enough to enjoy the game with HDR 60 fps. Then when it comes out for PC, there may be a liberated version of it. LOL

Way to go

Literally almost everything you said in this comment is completely inaccurate.

"if you want 60 fps with HDR and 4K NOW, then drop $600 for an xbox one x!"
It is NOT 60 FPS on Xbox One X (30 FPS locked) and the Xbox One X is nowhere near $600 ($500 MSRP and often on sale for less)

"when it comes out for PC you can get it free if it's xbox play anywhere"
It certainly won't be Xbox Play Anywhere because it is not a first-party title. Everyone knows that.

"But you buy it for xbox one NOW digitally, you don't get HDR unlike the PS4 version"
It has HDR on both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro (Not on Xbox One or PS4 standard)

"motion enhancement my SONY 65X850D gives turning 30 fps to 60 fps. That's good enough to enjoy the game with HDR 60 fps."
Laughable. If it was that easy don't you think everyone would just do that? The TV cannot render extra frames for a video game. It increases the REFRESH RATE of the TV, not the FPS of the game. The game will still play at 30 FPS

Why spout all of this nonsense without doing any fact checking?

Literally almost everything you said in this comment is completely inaccurate.

"if you want 60 fps with HDR and 4K NOW, then drop $600 for an xbox one x!"
It is NOT 60 FPS on Xbox One X (30 FPS locked) and the Xbox One X is nowhere near $600 ($500 MSRP and often on sale for less)

It certainly won't be Xbox Play Anywhere because it is not a first-party title. Everyone knows that.

"But you buy it for xbox one NOW digitally, you don't get HDR unlike the PS4 version"

"motion enhancement my SONY 65X850D gives turning 30 fps to 60 fps. That's good enough to enjoy the game with HDR 60 fps."
Laughable. If it was that easy don't you think everyone would just do that? The TV cannot render extra frames for a video game. It increases the REFRESH RATE of the TV, not the FPS of the game. The game will still play at 30 FPS

I did not know it only runs at 30 fps on Xbox One X. That's lame. You are correct on one point so far.

$600 Canadian, not U.S.D. I wasn't mistaken, you didn't think about Canadians.

I said "if" . Read it again..
Regardless, it will come out for PC though, the developers have stated. It will be for PC like Ryse son of Rome though.

You don't get HDR on XBOX One original. Read what I wrote again, does it say Xbox One X or Xbox one?

Ok buddy, not TVS are equal. Some have better enhancement than others. You have to see it to believe it. Everyone I've shown it to gasps and is blown away. Especially arrogant know-it-alls like you. It does turn 30 fps into 60 fps and it's amazing on the right TV.

Everything I said MOSTLY is valid, you are misinformed and can't read. Go check your own facts.

It's people like you that make all humans look bad.

Your comments are laughable

If you own an xbox one X then of course buy it on the most powerful system to get the best experience. But if you have original xbox one (that doesn't have HDR), then get it for PS4 (which does have HDR). If you have an XBOX ONE S or PS4 then you have to choose. I'd choose Xbox One S because the controllers are better.

In the end I'd rather play on a high end PC but no PC version. BOOOOO!

We are all gonna get a 30 fps garbage game now instead of a true 60 fps plus PC version.

Its a shame. Must be in cohoots with microsoft

Hoping to snatch up an XB1X around black Friday... and maybe a 4k Freesync TV.

Also, I am loving the PCMR buttheart. Your 2080ti can theoretically play this game at 4k 90 fps, but in the real world, it gets 0 fps.

Way to go
They are dropping $100 from XOne X if you buy it together with RDR2... even if you don't want the game you save $40.. maybe not a raw commission, but the benefit is there.

Back