Reinstall Windows 10 Without Deleting Your Software, Files or Settings

SFC works correctly when run from a console in the preinstall environment (PE).

Component store corruption can be repaired from within Windows without an in place re-install.

Thank you. Articles like this are extremely helpful for people who run into computer problems and need a roadmap to a cure. (Even if a reader knows what to do, having a checklist is helpful because one is often rattled when the computer is acting up when one needs to get some work done.)

A couple of suggestions to make such articles more helpful:
1. Please include an option to save the article as a pdf so that a reader can find it easily when needing it, which may be some months after the article is published.
2. Please include active links to any files that need to be downloaded. (Even if the links turn out to be out of date by the time the reader needs to access the files, there is likely to be a forwarding note on the out of date page link.)

I've built (assembled, actually) my last 2 computers, and plan to build my next one, probably next year. The articles on Techspot have been invaluable in helping me choose parts that suit my needs and thus get the fastest computer possible for whatever I choose to spend and, just as importantly, to choose quality parts that perform reliably. However, most of the articles you publish on the subject are gamer-centric. More information on what is ideal for content creators would be appreciated.

PMFJI, but:

I have added this note to several discussion boards, because I don’t feel it’s been adequately discussed:

For a successful reinstall, one needs to ensure that:
a.) All libraries (reparse points) are pointing to the original locations on the C: drive, and
b.)The C: drive must have free space equal to the Windows partition size + 9 GB. (for Windows 7; don't know what amount is necessary for Windows 10))

Zig

Please be sure to backup/deal with your windows.old directory immediately. Windows will delete it after 30 days AND any upgrade to a new build of windows will create its own windows.old folder and WIPE OUT the old one.

PMFJI, but:

I have added this note to several discussion boards, because I don’t feel it’s been adequately discussed:

a.) All libraries (reparse points) are pointing to the original locations on the C: drive, and
b.)The C: drive must have free space equal to the Windows partition size + 9 GB. (for Windows 7; don't know what amount is necessary for Windows 10))

Zig
Is that actually the C: drive or the drive that windows is installed on? My windows 10 is installed on K: drive, so will this work or do I need to change something?

Just did this the other day to try to resolve a corrupt system probably caused by Windows updates but it did not work. The problem remained. After doing all the things I could possibly do (including what was mentioned here), I had to reset it back to factory defaults with a clean wipe and that fixed the problem. So, the in-place upgrade apparently does not remove certain system files that may be corrupt.

PMFJI, but:

Zig
Is that actually the C: drive or the drive that windows is installed on? My windows 10 is installed on K: drive, so will this work or do I need to change something?

In both cases,, I'm referring to the drive that your Windows installation is on. IMHO, installing Windows to other than your C:\ drive, while certainly doable, is asking for unknown trouble in the future. But if it has always worked for you so far...
Zigmeister

Just did this the other day to try to resolve a corrupt system probably caused by Windows updates but it did not work. The problem remained. After doing all the things I could possibly do (including what was mentioned here), I had to reset it back to factory defaults with a clean wipe and that fixed the problem. So, the in-place upgrade apparently does not remove certain system files that may be corrupt.

I can certainly agree with that.
Part of reloading an operating system consists of erasing the old files. What that consists of with inmost modern operating systems is removal of the addressing layer, leaving the underlying files untouched until they are written over.
The only way I know to remove the underlying files completely is either to perform a low-level format on a SCSI hard drive ( think of plowing a field and then smoothing out the furrows) or running a quality WIPE program which supposedly overwrites everything on the hard drive.
Reformatting and/or removing and reinstalling partitions can not remove any of the files remaining on the hard drive, it just makes them more difficult if not impossible to access. They are still there and can create problems if they are inadvertently triggered.

It did not work for me, my Windows 10 remained unreliable to boot, it would loop for minutes those loading circles till I got enough and reset it and shut it down.

It was a cloned SSD from the original installation, a bigger and different brand from the smaller SSD used for the original installation.

I just backup my data three times over because no matter what, inevitably I end up having to do a clean install....every 12 months, almost like Microsoft has it planned that way and I wouldn't put it by them.

Try BIOS and mobo driver updates. It seems to do the trick for odd problems sometimes.

Can I use this method to do a clean install of Win10 Home on top of a Pro version?
I have a registered OEM Home but decided to try the Pro to see if it gave me anything useful. It does not so I would like to return to the home version without deleting programs & settings. Is this possible please?

Thank you so much for this article! My computer said "no audio devices found" and I could not reinstall any of the audio drivers due to a corruption in the registry. I even paid Dell support $106 and was on the phone for 4.5 hours while the dell technician tried everything to fix my computer, without any success. I didnt want to reinstall windows or do a "reset" as I would lose all my programs and email settings. I simply followed your instructions and downloaded the windows media creation tool. I left the installer running while I went shopping and when I returned everything was fixed!!! I am so grateful, you saved me so much time. My only regret is that I found your article sooner!

Dammit!, What if I did the all in place update and had secure boot enabled? I lost all my browser bookmarks and the all in place still didn't fix the main issue of not having the windows update inside update & security.

Back