Relations between cooling and the cpu's lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.

papermate

if i use my cpu's stock settings (eg 1GHz) and it lasts 5 years at an average of 50 degrees, would the lifespan be the same if i overclocked my cpu(eg 2GHz), but adding a cooling solution which retains the cpu's average 50 degrees?

Heat is the main killer of cpu's but all these items go bad eventually because of low voltages going through them.

Essentially, an increase in operating temp due to overclocking, while being handled by the extra efficient coolers and fans overclockers use, is STILL an increase in internal operating temp.

There is a heat-exchanging interface designed onto (Not Into) the CPU that aids in the transfer of heat, BUT the heat still exists in the CPU until transferred. That transfer is NOT instantaneous!

A lot depends on the degree of cooling penetration, and I have never heard that any cooler actually can claim to completely cool the 'heart' of a CPU.

Heat is the enemy of any electrical part or circuit. If you as you say "run a cooling solution" that holds it @ 50 degrees I would think that it would all be the same. My instinct tells me that if you double the speed of your CPU it will not last as long no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back