Remote Desktop freezing issue with XP Pro SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycho1974

Hey, guys. I'm having a remote desktop issue here that is driving me certifiably insane. I'm working on a PC running XP Pro SP3 that's part of a small office network. We'll call this computer "Janky". I can connect to other computers on the network via remote desktop with no problem - Janky to Accounting; Janky to RIPMachine; I can even connect from Janky to my home computer which is running Windows 7.

The problem is that Janky won't accept any incoming remote desktop requests. Well, I guess he does, but he won't complete the requests. For example, when I try to connect from HomePC to Janky, I see the login screen, and after a successful password entry, all I see is a black screen. I can quit the RDP application, but now Janky is frozen and needs a hard reboot. This same scenario occurs when I try to connect to Janky from a computer inside the office LAN as well - RIPMachine to Janky; Accounting to Janky - you get the idea.

The router is already configured to forward port 3389 to Janky, but that's not the issue if I can't connect to Janky from inside the LAN. Besides, the problem's not that I can't connect, it's that RDP freezes every time I do.

I'm at the end of my rope. I've disabled all "extras", I've turned down all graphic effects and basically running it as bare-bones as possible. Does anyone have any ideas about what to do?

Help!

Hi tycho1974. This sounds like it belongs in our Networking forum. Ask the mods if they can move it for you because I doubt you'll get the help you need due to the issues we deal with inthis forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back