Remote Support Question

A bit of background, I support a number of sites (~100) who deal with a lot of different suppliers, these suppliers use different support tools (Teamviewer, logmein etc) in order to screen share with users at the sites. These sites are connected in a COIN (community of interest network) with all sites connecting to a central server before going out to the internet. The network provider which manages the sites have decided they are going to block most of the remote support tools that don't use their own protocols (I.e. the ones going through port 80/443) so in order to get access to the COIN suppliers have to use a VPN which has everything blocked apart from RDP (3389).

I have considered using windows remote assistance but in order to do this you need to send a email file and the person receiving this will be dialed in to the VPN thus being unable to access their emails, I know you can setup helpdesk access for remote assistance but this may be a pain as all the sites are on there own domain so I can't just roll out group policy for all sites.

If anyone has any useful ideas I would be very grateful to hear them :)

Yes, you have a conflict of blocked ports that is insurmountable. ALL users would need to alter their firewalls and routing tables and that is just impractical.

Sorry I probably could have explained it better, only the VPN access that the suppliers use is completely locked down, the sites go through 1 firewall that has blocked the likes of Teamviewer, Logmein etc (the ones that use HTTP/HTTPS ports) as they say this is insecure and they are not able to audit the traffic. I was thinking of using VNC but it would be a pain installing it at all sites.

Sounds like you need a split-tunnel VPN solution for your original plan involving Windows Remote Assistance.

While "split tunnel" may be the right tool, the site admin appears to have routing such that there is no direct access to the gateway device (the hint is AUDITING) and if so, there is NO CIRCUMVENTION possible.

From your PC, try TRACERT 8.8.8.8 to discover notes leading 'outside'

Back