Remove "Send image..." from context menu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

OK, this has been irritating the #$%#$ out of me for years, so I thought I would ask if anyone might be able to suggest a solution.

$#$@ Microsoft and their forcing IE and Outlook on you. I hate Outlook with all my soul, but no matter how many times I disable or remove what I can of it, I feel like I need to keep the default Express vesion installed just because one can never predict the future and who knows if I might need it some day for something. But I would like to have it be completely invisible until then.

Right now the biggest irritant to me is the right-click context menu option to "Send image..." that opens Outlook if you click it by mistake. It's right below "Save image..." which I use constantly, so inevitably it gets clicked by accident on a fairly regular basis.

Is there any way to remove that option (i.e., completely diable shell integration for all forms of Outlook??)??

Also, while I am here, is there any way to disable the $%$^$% Windows default to bring any and all of its program windows to the front when they open? I often work with many windows/programs open, and start new ones while working on something else. Unfortunately, if you are in the middle of typing something, or clicking in a window, or worst of all clicking on the "x" to close a window, a program that is finally opening that should be in the background pops up in front of what you are working on and "catches" the click (or text) intended for the window you were looking at, and the newly opened window can get closed inadvertently just as it finishes a long load.

This is ridiculous - what software programmers are dumb enough to not anticipate this and prevent clicks or keystroke activated before their program had even opened from influencing their program as it opens? Even worse, $%^$%^ Microsoft in general ignores that you are working on something and forces the new window/program to the top in front of what you were clearly (clicks and keystrokes) working on. When my cat used to sit on the newspaper I was trying to read that was cute. Microsoft dictating what I look at is not cute.

Is it possible to globally disable this behavior in Windows? I feel that as the user, I should be able to choose what program/window I am looking at, not have the OS force windows to the front when I am working on something else.

OK. Exhaling. Releasing all the rage....

I am mostly a supporter of Windows, but sometimes things like the 'deliberately accidental' opening of Outlook (they didn't put "Send image..." right under "Save image..." by accident, nor did they give us the option of rearranging context menu items to an order that suits US) and me unintentionally closing a new window I wanted open because it opens in front of the one I was tying to close in between the time I clicked on the mouse and the time the click registers is irritating as %$#^%. Aaaarrggh!:mad:

OK. two things
  1. I don't think you really want to remove "Send Image". I think you'd rather have "Send Image" bring out your own email program rather then Outlook? Assuming yes
    • Open Control Panel -> Internet Options, click Programs tab
    • Under Internet Programs, selelct the program you want windows to start for email
    • If the email program you use isn't listed, check your email program documentation or online. They have instructions on how to add themselves to this selection list
  2. You don;t "remove" outlook express a windows config option and is always easy to bring back if needed
    • Control Panel _> Add Remove Programs. You'll see Add/Remove Windows Components along the left margin. Select it.
    • Now just scroll down and uncheck Outlook Express. Just go back and recheck it if you ever want it back

LookinAround said:
I don't think you really want to remove "Send Image".

Actually, I do. Running score:

Times I have accidentally triggered Outlook using this context menu entry: 88 billion.
Times I have ever wanted to send an image this way: 0.

If I have a picture I want to send to someone, that means I like it enough to have saved it, which means when I send it I simply upload it as an attachment.

And I have never used any mail program that was not webmail. The security is so poor with mail programs and webmail so easy that I have never forced myself to use Outlook or similar programs long enough to get used to them and like them. So to me locally based email software is passé. Heck, I am outdated using webmail. First IM supplanted email, and now texting has supplanted IM. I guess that makes me a technological grandfather...:(

LookinAround said:
"Remove" outlook express a windows config option and is always easy to bring back if needed.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I ever noticed the components section of A/RP before. I unchecked and it ran for a minute or two, but if I deliberately click "Send image..." it still opens Express. Maybe it will be gone after I reboot next?

Anyway, thanks very much to both of you for your advice. :D

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Skim down to where he talks about ShellXView.

OK, I finally got around to trying this program. Unfortunately, I can't figure out a way to remove "Send Image" as there is no specific entry for this. There is one entry that sounds like it might be related (Shell image verbs) since "send" is a verb, but (a) that seems like it would remove all the other verb options like "Save" that I don't want to get rid of, and (b) I tried it and it didn't work anyway.

Anyone familiar with this program and/or the basic shell extension entries?

There is an XP Pro registry entry for 'send pictures with document' under Outlook Express Mail (search and ye shall find) that defaults to '1' (I suppose for active - try 2).

If that doesn't work, set it back to 1.

There is an XP Pro registry entry for 'send pictures with document' under Outlook Express Mail (search and ye shall find) that defaults to '1' (I suppose for active - try 2).

If that doesn't work, set it back to 1.

The virtually universal rule for logical settings in Windows is 0 for 'off','no','false','disabled' and 1 for 'on','yes','true','enabled'

My 2 cents...

First off, I almost NEVER use IE if I can help it.

So, I recommend switching to Firefox...
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html
yeah, I know ya all heard it a million times before, BUT for good reason.

Second is to install this plugin to Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/710

Then type: Ctrl+Shift+A this will open your plugins menu ....
Find your "Menu Editor" plugin...
click it, then click "Options"...
you can probably figure it out from there,
but anyways, you go to "Send Image" and HIDE it.

You are done.

You've just done 2 good things for yourself...pat on da back 4 u. :)

peace
han

Hey scruffy lookin',

A) I have been on FF for years, so IE was never part of the problem. Anyone with a brain looked at IE years ago and said "I've got a bad feeling about this."

B) That add-on is nice - thanks! It's about time that the user got more control over context menus. :approve:

Welcome to TSOB. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back