Renting a Battlefield 1 PC server will cost around $300 per year

Scorpus

Staff member

Gamers wanting a dedicated server to play Battlefield 1 on PC will have to spend around $300 a year, according to an announcement on the Battlefield forums. PC gamers are also faced with higher costs than their console gaming counterparts.

EA DICE lists the cost for Battlefield 1 servers as $149.99 for 180 days, which equates to $304.15 over a full year. EA also has shorter plans available, such as 90 days for $99.99 and 30 days for $42.99, however value significantly drops off after the half-year mark. In contrast, console gamers will only have to fork out $99.99 for 180 days, or $202.76 for a full year.

Renting a Battlefield 1 server is not a requirement to play the game online. Gamers will have full access to EA's free servers, which host standard game modes and support up to 64 players. However, renting a server gives full access over the multiplayer experience, including what maps are played, what settings are implemented, and what modes are available.

With Battlefield 4, dedicated servers on PC were handled through third-party companies, and often cost in excess of $300. For some, having an EA-controlled server for Battlefield 1 will end up being cheaper than past options. EA says that restricting dedicated servers to in-house options was done to secure quality hardware and "give everyone the same uniform experience".

EA does state that they "might restrict number of game modes available at launch and gradually enable them based on feedback and other circumstances," however those who rent servers can expect more customization options "throughout 2016 and beyond".

Permalink to story.

Maybe this will help prevent the kind of person from renting servers who ragebans people or bans people because their friend rages. Seemed to happen alot on 360 BF3 servers when I played.

Anyone remember the days when every FPS had a "run as dedicated server" option? I do.

Sure, it had its problems - cheating usually being the most often - but it was manageable if you limited access and had friends who could help monitor things.

Bigger question is, why do the PC servers cost 50% more than the PS4/XBox servers?

"EA DICE lists the cost for Battlefield 1 servers as $149.99 for 180 days, which equates to $304.15 over a full year. EA also has shorter plans available, such as 90 days for $99.99 and 30 days for $42.99, however value significantly drops off after the half-year mark. In contrast, console gamers will only have to fork out $99.99 for 180 days, or $202.76 for a full year."

Even with a "low" monthly cost, you're still looking at $25/month for a PC server but only $17/month for a console server? Is there something about the PC servers to justify the extra cost involved?

Bigger question is, why do the PC servers cost 50% more than the PS4/XBox servers?

"EA DICE lists the cost for Battlefield 1 servers as $149.99 for 180 days, which equates to $304.15 over a full year. EA also has shorter plans available, such as 90 days for $99.99 and 30 days for $42.99, however value significantly drops off after the half-year mark. In contrast, console gamers will only have to fork out $99.99 for 180 days, or $202.76 for a full year."

Even with a "low" monthly cost, you're still looking at $25/month for a PC server but only $17/month for a console server? Is there something about the PC servers to justify the extra cost involved?

yeah nobody likes the PC community too much hardware issues, too much piracy, im also assuming that they look at numbers, and say if a PC gamer is crazy enough to spend $180 for a keyboard, and sonsole gamers only $49.99, we can definitely can get away with more on the gaming community

They probably determined that it is what the various markets (console v. PC) would support. $300 for a server is actually pretty cheap. I remember good BF2142 servers ran around $500-600/yr. It is cheap enough that if I buy the game, and I like it enough, I might just rent a server for the lulz (and so I don't have to wait in line).

"EA says that restricting dedicated servers to in-house options was done to secure quality hardware and "give everyone the same uniform experience"."

Nice try EA, it's not to make the experience more uniform, it's to put more money in your pocket, also deny people from hosting local servers for Lan parties. Really I shouldn't be too upset, I wasn't planing on buying this game anyways. It's just unfortunate to see them take more away from the community, thing's like this create precedence for future games and other developers.

That's expensive, specially compared to $80 for BF4 we pay. I'd rather not get ripped off through EA, especially when hacking is easily done.

Maybe this will help prevent the kind of person from renting servers who ragebans people or bans people because their friend rages. Seemed to happen alot on 360 BF3 servers when I played.

300/yr. = 25/mo.

You won't be preventing much of anything at that price.

Exactly. I've had all types of servers that I rented growing up. $25 a months is extremely cheap. I actually find it hard to believe that it would be this cheap. I remember paying about $1-$2 per player slot depending on the provider and the game. I had a bf3 server once and it cost me more than double what they are saying a server will cost. This is a bargain if this price applies to 64 player servers too.

yeah nobody likes the PC community too much hardware issues, too much piracy, im also assuming that they look at numbers, and say if a PC gamer is crazy enough to spend $180 for a keyboard, and sonsole gamers only $49.99, we can definitely can get away with more on the gaming community

My 170€ keyboard has worked great for past 5 years with no problems. In shorter time I have got 3 ps4 controllers that broke, first the cover on stick and then trigger. Also ps4 controller costs 60€ here, or did you mean the keyboard peripheral for controller?

My 170€ keyboard has worked great for past 5 years with no problems. In shorter time I have got 3 ps4 controllers that broke, first the cover on stick and then trigger. Also ps4 controller costs 60€ here, or did you mean the keyboard peripheral for controller?

Don't support euro? € € €

Back