Replacing a hard drive

Deathstar17

So I am trying to replace a hard drive in a Lenovo all in one desktop because it's previous drive was failing. The replacement drive is just a standard 3.5in drive: 2 TB Western Digital Green.
So I took the old drive out and put the new one in, but I get an error when I try to boot into my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 disk.
From the Windows Boot Manager it says the following:

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

It also talks about unplugging any external drives but there aren't any connected in this case.

What should I do?

Thanks.

I am replacing the boot drive. I did go into the BIOS but I didn't see where I can change the boot drive priority. Could you be more specific?

Thanks.

if you replaced the boot drive, then u need to reinstall the Operating System. The OS was in the old drive and now that u havve removed that drive, there is no OS in your system

if you replaced the boot drive, then u need to reinstall the Operating System. The OS was in the old drive and now that u havve removed that drive, there is no OS in your system

That's what I was thinking, but why would he be getting into Windows Boot Manager on a blank hard drive? It should just say 'please insert boot disk' or whatever.

the boot manager is ON the boot drive ,,,so wihout that drive he wont have any boot manager

Ok I should have clarified. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate disk that I was attempting to boot into. I was hoping that from there I would be able to format the drive and do a fresh install. Where did I go wrong?

Is there any particular reason you're trying to boot into windows?

you can format the drives from the windows dvd. just make sure you format both of them (providing you've backed up whatever you needed) because you don't want one drive with an old install of windows messing up your boot loader.

Back