Report: AMD lays out measures for retailers to stop Big Navi scalpers

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Nvidia’s RTX 3080 and 3090 launches were marred by low stock levels and bots that snapped up multiple units for scalpers to sell on eBay. With AMD’s upcoming Big Navi release, team red is aiming to avoid similar issues by reportedly sending out instructions to retailers outlining measures on how to prevent scalping.

The RTX 3080 Founders Edition was out of stock within minutes of going on sale, the result of bots grabbing them in large numbers so they could be resold at ridiculous prices. Nvidia said it had introduced measures to prevent the same thing from happening with the RTX 3090, but it seemed many bots circumvented the protections.

With AMD’s Radeon RX 6000 series set to be revealed next week (October 28), news that they could challenge Nvidia’s 3000 series means the cards will likely face the same high-demand. As noted by VideoCardz, YouTube leaker RedGamingTech got its hands on a document purportedly from AMD that lays out guidelines to prevent Radeon RX 6000 card and Ryzen 5000 CPU scalping.

Some of AMD’s recommended measures include real-time bot detection mechanisms, captcha implementations, purchase limits, and time limits on how long customers can hold products in carts. It also suggests using a queue-based notification system so people can reserve their position in line as more stock becomes available—EVGA uses the same method for reserving Nvidia’s 30-series cards.

The letter adds that retailers should reach out to their AMD rep this week to review which measures work best for their businesses.

“Let’s work together to ensure, as much as possible, that AMD’s new CPUs and GPUs get into the hands of the gamers and enthusiasts who they are designed for at launch and throughout the holiday season,” the company writes.

There’s no guarantee the letter is genuine, of course, so a pinch of salt might be needed, but there’s little doubt AMD will want to avoid the problems Nvidia experienced with the RTX 3000 launch. We’ll find out if the measures work on November 18/December 8 (Radeon RX 6000) and November 5 (Ryzen 5000). Judging from a tweet by the company's chief gaming architect, Frank Azor, AMD is pretty confident things will go a lot smoother.

Permalink to story.

Here's the real problem manufacturers and retailers can try their best to make sure everyone has a chance to get a new Radeon RX 6000 series GPU but the truly unscrupulous and dedicated lowlifes out there that want to take advantage of a good thing are going to do their best to prevent that from happening BUT gamers and enthusiasts can do something about it if it does happen again and these cards end up on Ebay DO NOT BUY THEM! until they lower the price down to normal retail level so this way the people doing this will learn that we will not give into their scamming bullshit and eventually they will have to stop or lose a lot of money it's our choice, I know I will not pay over inflated prices for a graphics card so some piss ant can make a profit from me no way.

Everybody get ready for...
maxresdefault.jpg

Here's the real problem manufacturers and retailers can try their best to make sure everyone has a chance to get a new Radeon RX 6000 series GPU but the truly unscrupulous and dedicated lowlifes out there that want to take advantage of a good thing are going to do their best to prevent that from happening BUT gamers and enthusiasts can do something about it if it does happen again and these cards end up on Ebay DO NOT BUY THEM! until they lower the price down to normal retail level so this way the people doing this will learn that we will not give into their scamming bullshit and eventually they will have to stop or lose a lot of money it's our choice, I know I will not pay over inflated prices for a graphics card so some piss ant can make a profit from me no way.
Yea, good luck with that.
We can't get people to wear masks, so your idea goes right to the bottom.

To be honest, such news are actually telling the scammers what will be done against them so they can prepare. Kind of better without such news...

Nvidia will response Big Navi using Super/Ti thing. Those 3090/3080 scalpers will be drown in tears.

I agree and most of the people here, except the scalpers.

Someone always says this when an article about scalping comes up and everyone agrees and upvotes.
Thing is, as long as wealthy enough people exist that will pay scalper prices, it isn't going away. No amount of comments telling people "not to buy them!" will change the scalper market.

And good on AMD for at least trying to do something, because it really is up to them and retailers to curb scalping.

Back