Reports indicate Windows 8.1 has hit RTM stage

Scorpus

Staff member

During Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference earlier this year, the company revealed that Windows 8.1 would be made available to manufacturers by late August. According to recent reports, this has come true, with Microsoft's refreshed OS hitting the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) stage on August 23.

Both Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott, veterans of Microsoft reporting, cited sources close to the company who confirmed that Windows 8.1 released to manufacturing on August 23, with a final build number of 9600.16384.130821-1623. It has been speculated that Microsoft didn't announce the RTM on Friday so that the news of CEO Steve Ballmer's retirement in the next 12 months wouldn't be overshadowed.

It's still expected that Microsoft won't release the Windows 8.1 RTM to TechNet or MSDN subscribers before its general release on October 18. This is relatively unusual for Microsoft, who in the past have released the RTM code to OEMs and IT professionals at the same time. Instead, it's expected that Microsoft will use the time between the RTM release and the general release to work on zero-day patches for any bugs discovered by OEMs.

For everyone currently running Windows 8, Microsoft will be delivering Windows 8.1 as a free update through the Windows Store. As previously reported, the update brings a number of new features and improvements over Windows 8. The Start button will partially return, search and multi-tasking have been greatly enhanced, the Start screen has been improved including new customization options, and the OS has been optimized for smaller tablets.

Permalink to story.

Eh, good news for Win 8 users. But I am still not gonna touch Win 8.
you'll not gonna touch a 'touch-enabled' windows 8?
I guess I'm really a Microsoft fan and a windows 8 lover.

my history:
I waited in line just to be able to attend windows vista launch in the Philippines: SM Mall of Asia.

when windows 7 came out, I purchased windows 7 home premium family pack (for 3 computers).

I purchased two windows 8 pro licenses during the discounted promo plus one additional license after the promo had ended.

I waited for ie10 for windows 7 to appear despite 'loving windows 8 more' .

'I love windows 8 more' though I spend about 3 hours on it for every 7 hours I spend on windows 7. :)

I assembled two computers in order to install the two windows 8 licenses I purchased. :) (a. i5-3570k + asrock z77 extreme4; b. pentium g630 + ecs h61h2-m12; both have no dedicated graphics yet; the third license is used to boot my windows 7 home premium with windows 8 pro)

my history:
I waited in line just to be able to attend windows vista launch in the Philippines: SM Mall of Asia.

when windows 7 came out, I purchased windows 7 home premium family pack (for 3 computers).

I purchased two windows 8 pro licenses during the discounted promo plus one additional license after the promo had ended.

'I love windows 8 more' though I spend about 3 hours on it for every 7 hours I spend on windows 7. :)

I assembled two computers in order to install the two windows 8 licenses I purchased. :) (a. i5-3570k + asrock z77 extreme4; b. pentium g630 + ecs h61h2-m12; both have no dedicated graphics yet; the third license is used to boot my windows 7 home premium with windows 8 pro)

Yep sounds like your a lover of Microsoft. I'll bet you'd purchase "Windows Kinect" version as well. Oops, sorry. I didn't mean to cause you to start salivating on purpose. Yikes...
if Kinect was a pc add-on, then yes. :)
I'm not a hard-core gamer though... so I don't own an xbox/xbox360 (or ps2/ps3 for that matter)

I hate Windows 8, Don't see me crying to mommy when someone likes something I do not. I simply move the **** on with life, like I'll do now.

Furthermore, being content doesn't mean conforming to other people's idea, just the acceptance of it, Would've thought someone slurring insults like chimpanzee could actually think that far ahead.

my history:

"I guess I'm really a Microsoft fan and a windows 8 lover."
yes. it sounds like you are... there are very few technical reviews that say anything good about windows 8. and most of the good ones that do exist were most likely written by writers on microsoft's payroll. It does simple things easy. which is why your 5 yr/old daughter and grandma can use it... but trying to get any real work done is a PITA... no one except for the hardcore microsoft fanboys and the people that don;'t know any better are even trying to touch this operating system.

Start8 will continue to work with 8.1 so I am happy. Windows 8 is fine once u move the modern (touch) UI to the back burner. They need to find a better way to integrate the modern UI on the desktop. Modernmix, another program from the same company who has start8 actually makes the apps work as windows on windows 8. That's how they should of made windows 8 desktop if there was such a version.

I prefer windows 7, but I use windows 8 (since this one is legal :p), I'm impation about 8.1, not about the "new features", but for the hotfixed and other fixes, like SP1.

I hate Windows 8, Don't see me crying to mommy when someone likes something I do not. I simply move the **** on with life, like I'll do now.

Brilliant. What an incredible way to effect change in the next version of Windows. To shut my mouth, drop my pants, and bend over like you so willingly do. Yes, I like this idea. That will make Windows 9 something to look forward too. Thank you so much for this wonderful idea.

*TheBigFatClown* has gone into cricket mode and has his fingers crossed, hoping that Microsoft will magically realize Windows 8 sucks by the deafening silence.Giving full credit to Mr. Nivagely, of course.*

Start8 will continue to work with 8.1 so I am happy. Windows 8 is fine once u move the modern (touch) UI to the back burner. They need to find a better way to integrate the modern UI on the desktop. Modernmix, another program from the same company who has start8 actually makes the apps work as windows on windows 8. That's how they should of made windows 8 desktop if there was such a version.

If it requires a 3rd party hack to make the OS usable then its not "fine", its a disaster.

Do you seriously think they aimed this OS at the enterprise market? No. It clearly wasn't,

MS put the metro UI on its server and Professional editions of Win 8, I think its pretty clear they intend to force the changes on enterprise customers as well.

Should be available by Windows Update as an optional update..not the Windows Store. Must be pretty desperate to force people to the store who use Win8, but avoid 'Metro' like the plague. Post to Desktop anyone?

Hopefully this update will improve compatibility with older games in my library. I've missed firing up Sinistar Unleashed and Descent 3 from time to time.

Back