[Request] ASRock K8NF4G-VSTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

theDUDE124

Hey all, so I recently custom-built a computer with different hardware components, and now I believe I am having driver problems.

Occasionally during start-up I receive the following error:

"CMOS Checksum Bad. Press F2 to run setup. Press F1 to load default values."

I always just press F1 and it starts normally.

However Windows XP starts very slowly and sluggishly, the sound very often stutters and slurs depending on current memory usage, and the sound is permanently broken/stuttering with certain games. Also there seems to be general stability issues, certain applications load very slowly, slow to a crawl at sporadic times, etc.

Here are my (hopefully) relevant specs:

MB: ASRock K8NF4G-VSTA

CPU: AMD Sempron Processor 3000+

"Display adapter"/Graphics Card: NVIDIA Galaxy GeForce 8400 GS

Monitor: Dell M991

Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio.

HD: WD Caviar Blue. WD5000AAKB-00H8A0.

If I'm leaving anything else out, just ask....

Obviously the sound driver appears to be the most apparent malfunction here. I've gone to the manufacturer and downloaded drivers off their site for each of these components, I've tried all sorts of different drivers, nothing seems to help....

Any and all advice here would be greatly appreciated. This problem has been plaguing this computer for some time now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Try replacing the CMOS battery on your motherboard and see if the checksum error disappears (just pull one out of another machine for testing if necessary). As for the funky slowdowns and so on, out of curiosity, see how your system runs in Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after powering on your system and you'll eventually get a menu).

Thanks for your help all.

Unfortunately I tried that driver and it hasn't made any difference. Also I have started in safe mode and that didn't make any difference either, as I wasn't able to even play sound or access most applications to test.

I guess my only option now is to reformat and start over.... However, I'm afraid that when I do, I'll still eventually end up with the same problem again....

Like I said, I've tried downloading the drivers from the motherboard's manufacturer site, which provided drivers for all components, sound, video, mb, hd, etc.; and I've also tried downloading the drivers from the manufacturer site of each specific component individually...

My computer is lagging harder and the sound is getting worse all the time. What else here should I be doing differently when it comes to drivers? Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

What can I do now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

:) That was the whole point of suggesting you hop into Safe Mode: only the most basic drivers and services are loaded. Based on your description, the symptoms are not entirely sound-based, so I figured you'd notice a different in responsiveness/stability.

However Windows XP starts very slowly and sluggishly, the sound very often stutters and slurs depending on current memory usage, and the sound is permanently broken/stuttering with certain games. Also there seems to be general stability issues, certain applications load very slowly, slow to a crawl at sporadic times, etc.

Anyhow, not that I necessarily recommend you reinstall Windows, but from a certain perspective it may be the fastest resolution. The fix could come as simple as uninistalling a certain application, driver, or just running a malware scan, but I assume you've exhausted all the basics.

There's no telling how long it might take to find and fix your problem, whereas it'll probably only take two hours to reinstall Windows and your drivers/applications.

You could always install a second instance of Windows XP alongside your current copy. If the same problems exist, you could simply delete the second installation and focus on finding a fix for the first.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I did notice Windows ran smoother in safe mode, no significant lag.

My main concern with formatting my HD and reinstalling Windows XP is that I'm assuming eventually this same problem will arise again, considering I would again be installing the drivers from the manufacturer's website...

I guess I have no other option however.

Well you do have an option, it's just a potentially long and bumpy ride. Even with proper guidance you still have to stop and post here, wait for a response and so on. It could literally be weeks before anyone gets to the bottom of your troubles.

If there's no data that you care about on the drive, then reinstalling Windows at this point might be the quickest route to fixing your issues. Most of the time is spent loading software so you can easily do it while watching a movie or whatever.

The only thing you really have to lose is the ~30 minutes of actual work, and that sure beats dozens of hours spent troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back