Resetting a router

learninmypc

The router I got some time ago quit on me a week or so ago so I unplugged it, forgot about it for a day or so & then plugged it back in but still no wifi.
Found a paper clip so I gently put it in the reset hole & gently pushed it in.
Waited a few minutes, plugged it back in but still nothing showed on any of my devices or laptops.
My landlord dropped by with a new one but for unknown reasons neither he nor I could get it to show on any device or my laptops. So, today he dropped off another one & no problem, it worked.
What happens when a router gets reset? In easy understandable english, please. TIA

I thought it was supposed to be off.
What will happen if I press the reset button on my router?
To reset, make sure the router is turned on, press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds, then release it. The router will then restart in the factory default setting. Now you can proceed with setting it up like you did when you first got it or, if you saved the settings, restore them from a file.Aug 13, 2016
New to me too https://www.lifewire.com/resetting-a-home-network-router-818061

Not enough info on the routers old and new to find out exactly what you're getting at.
Come back when you have the info then we'll pick up right from where we left off at.

What info on the one that died do you need? It was put in about 2 years ago I think. Do you need model # or ??
The one that died is Model # Air 4920

Power cycling vs Reset

• Power Cycling is just like rebooting your PC. All running code is terminated, all memory is freed and the system restarts fresh with whatever configuration was last active. Nothing is changed and it just starts fresh.
  • Reset is very different in that all the existing settings are removed and the box is restored to the day-1 settings from the manufacturer. The default id & password are restored and any WiFi settings are cleared. What ever settings YOU WANT will have to be entered fresh. -- TAKE A NEW BACKUP of the configuration.

Ok, if I am understanding you correctly, what you are saying has to be done with the router plugged in, correct? Both the one that died & the first replacement were UNplugged. no AC power to them. So if I'm understanding you correctly, neither of them have been reset??? So damn confused at times :)

Ok, if I am understanding you correctly, what you are saying has to be done with the router plugged in, correct? Both the one that died & the first replacement were UNplugged. no AC power to them. So if I'm understanding you correctly, neither of them have been reset??? So damn confused at times :)
Has nothing to do with any devices connected !!

Yes, you manage the reboot & reset via the AC POWER.
Once either is performed, you can connect however you please.

To clarify myself, when I reset both of them at different times, neither was plugged into ANY AC electric outlet. Thanks :)

Back