Resident Evil 3 Benchmarked: Survival horror that your GPU can likely handle

150fps at 1440p! (2080Ti)

That’s perfect ??

Thank goodness for these great releases during my NY quarantine.

It would be more useful to test the 4 GB RX570 as that is the more popular version. It gets redundant having three 8 GB Polaris cards. It would be interesting to see how well the 4 GB 570 hold up against the 1650 Super.

I love Techspot but think they're selling the RVII a bit short.

--- "Then we see a big step forward with the Radeon VII, though sadly it couldn’t quite get the GTX 1080 Ti, which has always been a disappointing reality for this 7nm GCN 5th-gen part. Despite arriving 2 years after the GTX 1080 Ti, for the same price it simply didn’t offer anything new in terms of gaming performance."

That may have been true last year, but the article shows the Radeon VII beating the 1080 TI in two out of three of the tests. (1440 and 4k) The 1080 Ti costs around $1000. To beat the RVII you have to step up to a 2080 super for $750. Radeon VIIs are $600, so they are a performance bargain. The RVII is faster than the 2070 super and the 5700xt. This just confirms my RVII Furmark results.

I think the RVII will age better than the 1080 Ti. It's not only AMDs fastest gaming card, it's also a good mining and productivity card. AMD created a very interesting jack-of-all-trades.

--- "Then we see a big step forward with the Radeon VII, though sadly it couldn’t quite get the GTX 1080 Ti, which has always been a disappointing reality for this 7nm GCN 5th-gen part. Despite arriving 2 years after the GTX 1080 Ti, for the same price it simply didn’t offer anything new in terms of gaming performance."

That may have been true last year, but the article shows the Radeon VII beating the 1080 TI in two out of three of the tests. (1440 and 4k) The 1080 Ti costs around $1000. To beat the RVII you have to step up to a 2080 super for $750. Radeon VIIs are $600, so they are a performance bargain. The RVII is faster than the 2070 super and the 5700xt. This just confirms my RVII Furmark results.

I think the RVII will age better than the 1080 Ti. It's not only AMDs fastest gaming card, it's also a good mining and productivity card. AMD created a very interesting jack-of-all-trades.

As someone who purchased my brand new XFX Radeon VII in Jan 2020 at $550 I can't complain... however;

1080ti is nearly always the faster 1080p card, and often by a large margin. UE3/UE4 engine hates AMD as well and a lot of games are based on it. That said, once getting into 1440+ (and way more so at 4k) the VII show's it's worth. On that point, most people with these cards are not playing at 1080p.

The hotspot throttling killed a lot of the performance on this and it's quite a beast to tame at times. However, with a little bit of tweaking for anyone remotely experienced with undervolting and it's a different story.

Stock voltage on mine was 1093mV (1801 highest boost clock) and yet I can push that down to 1018mV and stay at 1830mhz near 100% of the time during gaming at 4k on very demanding titles.

This is also with the HBM2 bumped up 200mhz which brings mem bandwidth up to 1,228gb/s (LOL). This helps a ton at 4k. 200mhz on the 4096bit bus gains you 204GB/s which is crazy to me just from a tech standpoint (yes the 2080ti is way faster with less bandwidth, tis not my point).

If I want over 1900mhz I still only need about 1060mV.

However, in fairness, the 1080ti is from 2017 and the VII is two years newer launching at the same price... sooo, meh.

I could never justify a 2080 though, 8gb (yes it's enough now but won't be if you hold your card a long time), same price as a 1080ti with some similar performance and 3gb less vram was just nonsense.

I don't think Techspot was implying that it's a disappointing card in its own right, but given the two years AMD had to knock it out of the park, it was a let down. As you mentioned, noise and heat were also issues. It may be $600 now, but at launch it had a $699 MSRP, same as the1080Ti. And not a single AIB partner touched it. How often does that happen?

The 16gb of HBM2 is admittedly impressive, but it left many wondering if 10-12gb of GDDR6 and a lower price point would have made more sense. I'm so glad I didn't wait; my Aorus 1080Ti has taken me on some wild rides over the last three years!

Many folks waiting to see what this card would bring had to swallow the bitter pill of realizing they could have been enjoying 1080Ti performance for two years.

That is sad :-(

Heh it's actually a gaming machine hiding at work, masquerading as an office machine (which it is, a Dell Optiplex) with a slot power 1050Ti in it. Actually decent for a sleeper gamer. I have a real gaming machine at home and luckily work from home means I'm stuck with the good machine for the foreseeable future.

As someone who purchased my brand new XFX Radeon VII in Jan 2020 at $550 I can't complain... however;

1080ti is nearly always the faster 1080p card, and often by a large margin. UE3/UE4 engine hates AMD as well and a lot of games are based on it. That said, once getting into 1440+ (and way more so at 4k) the VII show's it's worth. On that point, most people with these cards are not playing at 1080p.

The hotspot throttling killed a lot of the performance on this and it's quite a beast to tame at times. However, with a little bit of tweaking for anyone remotely experienced with undervolting and it's a different story.

Stock voltage on mine was 1093mV (1801 highest boost clock) and yet I can push that down to 1018mV and stay at 1830mhz near 100% of the time during gaming at 4k on very demanding titles.

This is also with the HBM2 bumped up 200mhz which brings mem bandwidth up to 1,228gb/s (LOL). This helps a ton at 4k. 200mhz on the 4096bit bus gains you 204GB/s which is crazy to me just from a tech standpoint (yes the 2080ti is way faster with less bandwidth, tis not my point).

If I want over 1900mhz I still only need about 1060mV.

However, in fairness, the 1080ti is from 2017 and the VII is two years newer launching at the same price... sooo, meh.

I could never justify a 2080 though, 8gb (yes it's enough now but won't be if you hold your card a long time), same price as a 1080ti with some similar performance and 3gb less vram was just nonsense.

I got my Radeon VII on 07/03/2019 and few weeks ago I put it under water, my one does 1150Mhz on memory and 2050Mhz on the core at 1.15v Its a good 4K card and that massive 16GB of memory will come in handy sooner than later :)

Back