Response to 8 step instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileygirl063

Since I will probably be asking alot of questions, I decided to start my own thread for this... I really don't know if I'm doing this right, but yea lol.
I just started having problems today with viruses. I hope that attacking this problem sooner (as apposed to last time) will help me protect my files. I have followed the "UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions" to the best of my ability.
Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Here are the results of my... scans... er whatever ya wanna call 'em. ^_^

Attachments

• mbam-log-2009-09-26 (00-53-22).txt
    846 bytes · Views: 7
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 09-26-2009 - 01-44-51.log
    7.4 KB · Views: 6
  • hijackthis.log
    10 KB · Views: 7
It looks like you are running more than one antivirus program. Deside which one you want and only use it. How is your system running now? You're missing some XP Windows Updates like Service Pack 3 and some related critical updates. Using a program like Advanced SystemCare free will help you with weekly computer housekeeping

Alright, I did have another anti-virus program aside from the one I knew about. I now have "AVG Anti-virus Free" ONLY. I removed e-trust.
And I also removed the programs that I was told to download in the 8-step intructions. Unless you want me to do another scan, then I can re-download them.

But... if I was "running more than one antivirus program," the ones I was instructed to download wouldn't happen to be the ones that were interferring, would they? Because yeah, I did have more than one program running then because I was told to...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, there is a little yellow thing in the taskbar at the bottom of my screen. It keeps saying, "Updates are ready for your computer." Should I install those updates? Or do I need to look online for the... "Service Pack 3?"

Okay, there is a little yellow thing in the taskbar at the bottom of my screen. It keeps saying, "Updates are ready for your computer." Should I install those updates? Or do I need to look online for the... "Service Pack 3?"

Service Pack 3 might be included with the updates waiting to be installed, just follow the prompts. Look in All Programs for Windows Update and run it too. You should only run one antivirus program. The other programs were Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. They are cleaners and not antivirus programs

Reset Cookies

For Internet Explorer: Internet Options (through Tools or Control Panel) Privacy tab> Advanced button> CHECK 'override automatic Cookie handling'> CHECK 'accept first party Cookies'> CHECK 'Block third party Cookies'> CHECK 'allow per session Cookies'> Apply> OK.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner)
Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.

I just started having problems today with viruses.

And those problems are????

Can running more than one antivirus program cause a problem?
  • Multiple antivirus programs can cause conflicts that may leave the system more vulnerable.
  • Multiple antivirus programs can also slow down the system.

Is that the cause of your problem? Unknown. You haven't told anyone what the problem is.

And I also removed the programs that I was told to download in the 8-step intructions.

You appear to be wanting some kind of help- what is it?

there is a little yellow thing in the taskbar

Is the Security Center set to: Download updates but don't install- let me decide when to install?
Do you know this is the Windows Security center?

It's been a while since I've been on Tech....how do I start a new thread about a virus that I got

Service Pack 3 might be included with the updates waiting to be installed, just follow the prompts.

I installed the updates and this message came up...
"The following updates were not installed:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1"

Look in All Programs for Windows Update and run it too.

I ran the Windows Update and this message came up...
"The following updates were not installed:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)"

The other programs were Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. They are cleaners and not antivirus programs.

Does that mean I should redownload them...?

Reset Cookies

They have been reset, and I also downloaded TFC.

And those problems are????

Well, my problems started with AVG Anti-Virus Free constantly telling me that I had infections. However, that has stopped.
I now have a problem with...
a) The computer freezing all the time. It's a struggle to do anything because the screen will just stop. I can still see the mouse moving, but the screen just remains still, and nothing I click on/type has any affect.
b) When I Google something and click on the link, it will take me to a completely random site that I had no intention of going to.

You haven't told anyone what the problem is.

The symptoms above are my problem.

Is the Security Center set to: Download updates but don't install- let me decide when to install?

How do I change the settings?

Do you know this is the Windows Security center?

No, I didn't. Heh.

Okay... lol. I'm gonna reply to your question twice because I can't give you the link you need until I have 5 posts.
I currently have 4 posts.
Hehe.

You need someone to help you with the malware. I don't think there is anyone here to do that.

To open the Security Center: Click on Start> Control Panel: the Security Center icon is here:
sp2_wscoverv1.jpg

Double-click Security Center. You should see a window that looks like the one below.
sp2_wscoverv2.jpg

The same icon there should display in the Taskbar should look like this:
51804_34x34_ico_multi_f.gif
It Indicates important security information and settings.

If you are seeing this:
51804_34x34_ico_warning_f.gif
It means a Warning: situation is potentially harmful. Consider adjusting security settings to enhance the security of your computer.

If you see this
51804_34x34_ico_error_f.gif
it means: Your computer's current security settings are not recommended.

If a change is needed, you'll see this:
sp2_wscoverv3.gif

To set or change the Automatic Updates: click on Auto Updates> choose the setting you want.

Overheating?

Well, my problems started with AVG Anti-Virus Free constantly telling me that I had infections. However, that has stopped.
I now have a problem with...
a) The computer freezing all the time. It's a struggle to do anything because the screen will just stop. I can still see the mouse moving, but the screen just remains still, and nothing I click on/type has any affect.
b) When I Google something and click on the link, it will take me to a completely random site that I had no intention of going to.
A: Might be overheating. I sometimes get this problem when playing something like The Sims 2 and Civilization III
B: Are you pressing the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button?

When I Google something and click on the link, it will take me to a completely random site that I had no intention of going to.

If it's a new problem, please post a fresh HijackThis.

And don't click too much on the links until we fix it because some of those "random" pages could contain a(nother?) trojan.

You need someone to help you with the malware. I don't think there is anyone here to do that.
So, I have malware?

And, why would I want to update my security settings so that I decide when to install the updates? Is it because some of the updates may be harmful?

If you are seeing this:
51804_34x34_ico_warning_f.gif
It means a Warning: situation is potentially harmful. Consider adjusting security settings to enhance the security of your computer.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. So... how should I adjust my security settings? Because, when I click on the little AVG icon, it says that I everything is active up-to-date. It doesn't look like there's any more that I can do.

A: Might be overheating. I sometimes get this problem when playing something like The Sims 2 and Civilization III
Well, I've been using a video-editor that slows the computer down a little bit, but it's never frozen my computer before. Never.

B: Are you pressing the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button?
No, not that I know of.

No, I did not say that. You have posted in this forum and if you need help with it, someone will need to help you. The problem is that there isn't anyone here now to do it.

We are getting way off track here smileygirl063.
I was answering someone else's question.
Post a new Hijack this log
Well, earlier, I deleted Hijack this because I didn't think I needed it anymore. And, when I tried to re-download it, it wouldn't work...

But I'm having someone work on my computer now, so hopefully things will get worked out. Maybe I can have him explain things so that I can better understand how to avoid and remove malware.

Thanks for your time, though.

No, I did not say that. You have posted in this forum and if you need help with it, someone will need to help you. The problem is that there isn't anyone here now to do it.

Alright. Thank you for your help. I have someone working on my computer now, though...
So, hopefully, things will be repaired.

Hopefully they will resolve the problem.

A tip for the future: if you go to a computer forum and there is a thread to follow the steps like the one here, followed by logs, you shouldn't remove those programs until your helper instructs you to do so. It is possible that you can be asked to repeat a program one or more times- so it's best to leave it.

When the problem is resolved, the helper will guide you into finishing up. That will save repeated installs and uninstalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back