Returning AMD R9 290 for 780Ti - Which one is best?

Obzoleet

Hello

I purchased AMD R9 290 TRI-X 4 GB and I am now instead thinking of returning it to purchase Nvidia 780 Ti 3 GB.

The main reasons are I bumped into some problems with my AMD card which I could not seem to fix

Also in the future I would like to purchase the Nvidia Shield ( Need something to play during WC breaks):D

I am considering purchasing the HOF version instead since I can get it for the same amount of money,

Or Which model is the best 780Ti?

Would love a top 3 list or something ! :)

Hello

I purchased AMD R9 290 TRI-X 4 GB and I am now instead thinking of returning it to purchase Nvidia 780 Ti 3 GB.

The main reasons are I bumped into some problems with my AMD card which I could not seem to fix

Also in the future I would like to purchase the Nvidia Shield ( Need something to play during WC breaks):D

I am considering purchasing the HOF version instead since I can get it for the same amount of money,

Or Which model is the best 780Ti?

Would love a top 3 list or something ! :)
I don't think any of the problems you have had are the 290's fault, but a 780ti is a more powerful card.

Depending on what you want, I would get either an MSI Gaming Edition, EVGA ACX SuperClocked, or the gigabyte GHZ edition trio cooler.

I don't think any of the problems you have had are the 290's fault, but a 780ti is a more powerful card.

Depending on what you want, I would get either an MSI Gaming Edition, EVGA ACX SuperClocked, or the gigabyte GHZ edition trio cooler.

You are most likely right,

But when I saw that the 780Ti HOF edition was on sale for 60 pounds cheaper then I figured that I couldnt be arsed anymore

And also I would really like to try the shield in the future :)

All of those cards are more expensive then the HOF edition....Is the HOF edition not as good as I assumed?

It looks awsome but that doesnt really matter , I want the performance,

The cards you recommended is about 30-40 pounds more expensive then the HOF,

What do you think? :)

You are most likely right,

But when I saw that the 780Ti HOF edition was on sale for 60 pounds cheaper then I figured that I couldnt be arsed anymore

And also I would really like to try the shield in the future :)

All of those cards are more expensive then the HOF edition....Is the HOF edition not as good as I assumed?

It looks awsome but that doesnt really matter , I want the performance,

The cards you recommended is about 30-40 pounds more expensive then the HOF,

What do you think? :)
Where the......

If you can get the HOF edition for cheaper than those, I would grab it. But the real benefit of that card is the extreme overclocking capability.

Where the......

If you can get the HOF edition for cheaper than those, I would grab it. But the real benefit of that card is the extreme overclocking capability.

I figured so cause it is on weekly offer and is normaly more expensive then those cards,

I wont be overclocking at all in the nearest months...perhaps if I rebuild my small computer into a fulltower or something but it wont happen soon,

But it should still be awsome on stock I assume? :)

I figured so cause it is on weekly offer and is normaly more expensive then those cards,

I wont be overclocking at all in the nearest months...perhaps if I rebuild my small computer into a fulltower or something but it wont happen soon,

But it should still be awsome on stock I assume? :)
Yep

Sorry I couldnt help you with the Diablo 3 issue Obzoleet. The 780Ti is a beast so if you can get it, go for it. I wouldnt bother with it though if you game at 1080P. Stay with a 780 if you game at 1080P.

Sorry I couldnt help you with the Diablo 3 issue Obzoleet. The 780Ti is a beast so if you can get it, go for it. I wouldnt bother with it though if you game at 1080P. Stay with a 780 if you game at 1080P.
Wait what was the problem with Diablo 3, I thought the issue was with BF4 and I thought it was resolved?

Wait what was the problem with Diablo 3, I thought the issue was with BF4 and I thought it was resolved?
He had frame rate issues. I think his FPS spiked a lot or it was just low overall. He tried the newest stable and beta drivers and they didnt help.

He had frame rate issues. I think his FPS spiked a lot or it was just low overall. He tried the newest stable and beta drivers and they didnt help.
Oh the FPS issue in Diablo 3, I had heard about that and experienced that.

Did yall try this:
Go to this C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Diablo III

changing the setting HardwareClass in the d3prefs.txt file to "1" (was 4)

That resolved my issues (Though it was on my laptop with the GTX 675m).

Did yall try this:

Nope I didnt recommend that.

I had a AMD R9 290X which I replaced with a nVidia 780 Ti
The reason I bought the AMD card over the nVidia was the big price difference, $250 here in Sweden...

Got a nice Crucial M500 240GB SSD for the difference :)
But to my disappointment the card had a very heavy coil whine.
So I went back to the store and all they had in stock was the 780 Ti.
Can't say I regret that, I've actually bought a EK waterblock for it but have not gotten around to install it yet.
It's simply so silent that I have not bothered, oh, and no coil whine either :)
If I where you and set on the 780 Ti I would just get whatever model comes cheapest right now :)

Did yall try this:

When I play and there is a lotta **** on the screen my FPS jumps down to 12 occasionally....

Normaly im on 130 FPS but lately its getting worse... I can stand in town and just press C to bring my inventory and its a brief freeze spike where it goes down to 55-60 FPS and then continues...

I am worried if this is my GPU or if I have messed up some settings in windows that can cause this.

What do you think?

I followed your earlier instructions to change Hardware class and will try it soon.

The issue regarding BF4 wasnt solved unfortunately, it came back, just took a little longer for it,

I got a full refund from EA instead for the game and premium ( Ill buy it again when its on sale :p )

I am also wondering,

I get the 780ti in about a day and want to make sure it goes smooth when I change it.

I will use the display driver remover to remove all the AMD drivers

But is there something else I should do too?

For example, since I did change some system settings and so on when we were looking into my BF4 Issue , I cant remember the default of them so

Should I format my HDD and reinstall my OS just to make sure there isnt any system settings that might get in the way for me later?

When I sent my MSinfo and DXdiag files to the game´s support they all looked correct and there was no issues there.. but really dont want any issues when I get started with the 780 ^^

No worries, I seem to have all these stupid issues that are unsolvable :)

I am currently gaming in 1080p but will in the future go for a 2440x1440 I think .)

No worries, I seem to have all these stupid issues that are unsolvable :)

I am currently gaming in 1080p but will in the future go for a 2440x1440 I think .)
I would wait till nVidia and AMD release their next gen cards. They are coming in a few months. I would just cope with the 290 for now and ask the manufacturer are a replacement and see if that is the issue. The reason I am saying to wait is that I feel like buying a 780Ti right now in place of a 290 is a waste for 1080P and even 1440P. I would check out benchmarks of new GPUs @ 1440P if you really want a new card.

I would wait till nVidia and AMD release their next gen cards. They are coming in a few months. I would just cope with the 290 for now and ask the manufacturer are a replacement and see if that is the issue. The reason I am saying to wait is that I feel like buying a 780Ti right now in place of a 290 is a waste for 1080P and even 1440P. I would check out benchmarks of new GPUs @ 1440P if you really want a new card.

But if I keep the 290 I cannot get a full refund for it,

I was under the impression that the 780Ti HOF was better then the 290 , so if I pay almost the same money , then why not I figured

Why is the 780 Ti a waste for 1080? if my 290 cannot play the games maxed out , perhaps the 780ti will?

Im not an expert though :D

Im using a small form factor build here, only got room for 1 GPU ^^
Well you could buy a dual gpu card :p

You won't have to worry, all your changes won't hurt a new gpu.

I can't believe bf4 actually gave you a refund for the game. More surprised the issue kept persisting. I have yet to have said issue on my 290x system so I'm really wondering what could have been causing it. Maybe the issue won't persist the through to the 780ti.

Well you could buy a dual gpu card :p

You won't have to worry, all your changes won't hurt a new gpu.

I can't believe bf4 actually gave you a refund for the game. More surprised the issue kept persisting. I have yet to have said issue on my 290x system so I'm really wondering what could have been causing it. Maybe the issue won't persist the through to the 780ti.

I know right, I was really surprised, I had to push really hard for it since I bought it for several months ago :)

I am gonna make a clean install of windows and stuff just to be sure anyway :)

Back