Revived Detroit Electric to unveil Tesla Roadster rival on April 3

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Detroit Electric, a brand responsible for building electric cars in the early 1900s, has been revived after more than 70 years of inactivity – or as their marketing team would prefer: Recharged, Rebooted, Reborn. The company plans to unveil their first all-electric car in the modern era on April 3 in Detroit.

The new car is described as a high-end, two-seat sports car collectible that many expect will compete directly with the Tesla Roadster. We don’t know exactly what the car will look like although a spokesperson for the company once said the external sheet metal will resemble a Lotus Elise.

detroit electric tesla

Albert Lam was responsible for reviving the brand in 2008. He is the former Group CEO of the Lotus Engineering Group and executive director of Lotus Cars in England. As such, it comes as little surprise at the new Detroit Electric sports car would resemble a Lotus. The car may retail for around $135,000, we’re told.

Detroit Electric said they expect to be able to churn out some 2,500 vehicles annually. Don Graunstadt, chief executive for North America Operations at Detroit Electric, said they are proud to be the fourth car manufacturer born out of Detroit and the first to create a pure electric sports car from Michigan. He added that they are committed to doing their part to help revive Detroit through innovation, entrepreneurship and determination, or what they like to call “Detroit 2.0.”

Permalink to story.

Why a sports car? Especially a $135,000 sports car. There's so much to do still with mainstream electric cars. So they can turn out 2500 a year. I can't imagine there's any kind of market for an expensive electric "sports car". I'd be much more impressed with an affordable all electric car.

Tesla stopped making their roadster in 2008 because there wasn't a market for it. These guys are copying the exact same design as the Tesla roadster. Why re-make a car that's no longer being made because of bad sales to begin with?

Definitely a company I wouldn't invest stock in, that's for sure.

Good move. That is how Tesla started, which means they probably have an all electric 4 seat in the near future. The future looks good, I see sedan All EV's in the future.

As we all know its all about the dollars, here in California Electric vehicles is a huge money saver. I my self commute 50 miles 5 days a week to work. I could sure use an electric vehicle.

I'm still amazed to come on here and see people talking about electric cars, here in the UK they're essentially hated xD

I really don't see the point of an electric car yet... battery technology is still poor and is not yet capable of giving us a reliable energy source equal to or better than current ICE powered vehicles without vastly exceeding weight and physical space needed.

Tesla stopped making their roadster in 2008 because there wasn't a market for it. These guys are copying the exact same design as the Tesla roadster. Why re-make a car that's no longer being made because of bad sales to begin with?

Definitely a company I wouldn't invest stock in, that's for sure.

Haha, you realise you just perfectly described Apple and their iPod/iPad?

Back