Right to edit own posts has disappeared

gbhall

I just noticed that I cannot edit my own posts any more. I don't know if edits are now only for a limited period, but if it is, I feel it is too short. The reason is, occasionally other replies make clear that the advice I have given is perhaps less than I ought to have given in the first place, or more often, I find my original expression can be simplified or expanded for greater clarity. (Especially spelling or punctuation or ambiguity boobs).

This can happen a week or more later, but I still like to improve my original post with a view to helping other people coming across it at a later date.

Last edited:
This should be fixed. We found a bug a few weeks back and decided to limit edit time until this was fixed, but forgot to take it back to normal (unlimited edit time for long-time readers). Thanks for the reminder ;)

Under the concept of "the user owns their data", WHY have any restrictions? After all, the OP may elect to withdraw/recant a statement.

You already have the situation where members have deleted their whole series of comments in a given thread which then appears confusing because you now only have a one sided conversation left. If a member wants to recant a statement, he/she can always post such a recanting statement without leaving the thread high and dry.

IMO, again, "the user owns their data" and the social sites are facing this head-on, especially in Europe.

But that's just me :grin:

Back