Rise of the Tomb Raider apparently heading to PC in January

Scorpus

Staff member

Rise of the Tomb Raider has already launched on Xbox One and Xbox 360 as a timed exclusive, and has been slated for release on PC sometime in the first quarter of 2016. Now, thanks to a listing on Amazon, we're getting a clearer picture of when the action-adventure title will officially launch.

An Amazon France listing for the PC version of Rise of the Tomb Raider lists January 29, 2016 as the launch date for the game. The retailer is currently allowing anyone to pre-order the title ahead of its release on that day, although the equivalent site in the United States hasn't listed the aforementioned launch date just yet.

At this stage, Square Enix hasn't confirmed that the game will officially launch on this day, although it's looking pretty likely at this stage. A PlayStation 4 version is also coming, but due to a timed exclusivity deal on Microsoft's platforms, it will launch in the fourth quarter of 2016.

On Xbox One, Rise of the Tomb Raider received widespread acclaim, with most reviewers saying the game improves on its predecessor, Tomb Raider, in many ways. Unfortunately, the launch was overshadowed by the release of Fallout 4 on the same day, so it wasn't as talked about by the gaming community.

If Rise of the Tomb Raider does come out on PC in late January, it would be one of the more compelling launches in the first part of next year. Hopefully the launch date turns out to be correct.

Permalink to story.

"A PlayStation 4 version is also coming, but due to a timed exclusivity deal on Microsoft's platforms, it will launch in the fourth quarter of 2016."

How is this fair practice?
One greedy company looking for extra cash and another company trying to steal sales away from another.

Personally I don't care about the game but I don't think crap like this should be done by any company.

"A PlayStation 4 version is also coming, but due to a timed exclusivity deal on Microsoft's platforms, it will launch in the fourth quarter of 2016."

One greedy company looking for extra cash and another company trying to steal sales away from another.

Personally I don't care about the game but I don't think crap like this should be done by any company.
Playstation started the whole timed exclusive as far as I know. or they seem most intent on continuing it at least.

To be fair it only released on the Xbox platform, the more expensive, least powerful, worst selling platform. I see them more like beta testers for the worst version of the game.

When it launches for PC and PS4 just means any bugs it did have will probably be ironed out and be better graphically any ways.

Thanks Microsoft, all you've managed to do is convince me to get this game on PC where you earn considerably less money for me buying it :)

"To be fair it only released on the Xbox platform, the more expensive, least powerful, worst selling platform. I see them more like beta testers for the worst version of the game."

Uh maybe MSRP wise but in terms of everyday price im seeing alot more xbones with a lot more games for $300 than a PS4 with less games. Just sayin.

I got my xbox for exclusives and for a more laid back experience. If I give a damn about framerate or resolution (which I usually dont) I get the game for PC. PC gamers who laugh at consoles for framerate or resolution can go back to signing their petitions to bring halo back to PC, and ironically complaining about how most console gamers are the dregs of gaming who only care about graphics (lol)

This is exactly how the ANC, EFF & DA operate, they are always trying to cut each others throats over the pettiest of things. There's no honour among thieves, M$ would steal the sugar out of Sony's coffee if they could and visa versa.

Uh maybe MSRP wise but in terms of everyday price im seeing alot more xbones with a lot more games for $300 than a PS4 with less games. Just sayin.
That's because nobody's buying the Xbox, if they didn't have a decent deal on it, it would sell even less than it already does.

I got my xbox for exclusives and for a more laid back experience. If I give a damn about framerate or resolution (which I usually dont) I get the game for PC. PC gamers who laugh at consoles for framerate or resolution can go back to signing their petitions to bring halo back to PC, and ironically complaining about how most console gamers are the dregs of gaming who only care about graphics (lol)
I got my PS4 for Exclusives as well, I get that, I also enjoy sitting on my sofa playing Destiny or The Last of Us etc... But I also enjoy going on my Computer to play Battlefield 4 or Fallout 4. I don't get what's more laid back about the Xbox over the PlayStation / PC? Am I missing something here?

I got my PS4 for Exclusives as well, I get that, I also enjoy sitting on my sofa playing Destiny or The Last of Us etc... But I also enjoy going on my Computer to play Battlefield 4 or Fallout 4. I don't get what's more laid back about the Xbox over the PlayStation / PC? Am I missing something here?
well consoles in general over PC. alot of the games id play on consoles dont have good controller support for PC, requiring me to sit at my desk and hunch over my keyboard to play. Doesn't seem like a huge deal just thinking about it but it is to me.

Playstation started the whole timed exclusive as far as I know. or they seem most intent on continuing it at least.

It might have been started by Sony but MS sets new records with their timed exclusive.
Mass effect 1 Xbox360 launched November 2007 and only launched on PS3 December 2012
Mass effect 2 Xbox360 launched Jan 2010 and on PS3 Jan 2011.

Why isn't anyone trying to put a stop to crap like this?
I remember Sony did this with GTA on PS2 and I will admit I was glad to get an "early" release but I would
have gladly waited.
What is funny though is that Square Enix is so greedy that they put it on the least powerful gaming machine 1st

Last edited by a moderator:

It might have been started by Sony but MS sets new records with their timed exclusive.
Mass effect 1 Xbox360 launched November 2007 and only launched on PS3 December 2012
Mass effect 2 Xbox360 launched Jan 2010 and on PS3 Jan 2011.

Why isn't anyone trying to put a stop to crap like this?

The reason why Mass Effect 1 and Rise of the Tomb Raider were timed exclusives (same for Bioshock btw,) is because Microsoft not only helped fund the game's development but MS game studios helped design them. Toss ME 1 in your XBO or 360 and you'll see the MS Game Studios logo pop up. I get the Internet is all about hating things without understanding the situation, but this is a collaborative effort. Why hate groups companies working together? It was said w/o MS, or someone else's assistance Rise of the Tomb Raider wouldn't be made at all. I personally don't believe that one, but for new IPs like Mass Effect or Bioshock, yeah. Without the assistance from large stable companies smaller companies won't take risks. As a trade off we get console exclusives or timed exclusives. Hate it if you want, but I'd rather the games get made first then decide on platform.

Back