Roccat's Ryos MK Pro mechanical keyboard has per-key backlighting

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Compared to most of its rivals, Roccat has been relatively slow to take advantage of the rising interest in mechanical keyboards, but that's about to change this quarter when the company ships its first Cherry MX-based offering. Roccat is preparing three variants of its Ryos MK, including a base model without backlighting, a "Glow" version with standard backlighting and a "Pro" unit with individually configurable backlit keys.

roccat ryos pro arm cortex

The company says its Ryos MK Pro is the most customizable mechanical keyboard around, as it comes with software to control which keys are backlit and when, allowing for special effects that can enhance or aid your gaming experience. For instance, Roccat says the lighting could be configured to serve as a hit indicator or a health/mana bar, though the backlighting isn't multicolored, so your options are limited there.

To power that light show, the Ryos MK Pro is outfitted with two 32-bit ARM Cortex processors and 2MB of flash memory. Naturally, since it's geared toward gamers, the board also offers N-Key rollover to prevent ghosting and it has an array of macro-related features, such as Roccat's Easy-Shift technology, which lets you assign a secondary function to any key, five macro keys on the left and three thumb macro buttons.

The Ryos MK Pro also has an integrated hub with two USB 2.0 ports and audio in/out jacks, an underside channel for cable routing, and a finish that appears glossy to the eye but has a smudge-proof coating to resist fingerprints. Roccat plans to offer the board with four different key switch options (blue, brown, black and red). We haven't seen pricing yet for the three different Ryos MK models, nor their various switch variants.

Permalink to story.

Okay, that preview/reveal/commercial video is pretty hype. It only hurts me to thing there are keyboards with RGB LED lighting, USB3, etc. But then again none of them (or almost none of them to my recollection) have individually lit (and controllable) keys, preferring to use zone lighting instead, nor do they have an awesome video like that.

And "a powerful 2 megabytes of flash memory." XD

That's the best keyboard promo video I've seen in a while, let's hope the product lives up to expectations.

And just like with all the gaming mice, useful for righties only. Funny how its never occurred to these companies that right-brained males are far more likely to be PC gamers and usually have better-than-average incomes (in fact, nearly all of the serious game addicts I know are lefties). Sure, its only 10% of the population their ignoring but that 10% spends a lot of money on gaming and has addictive tendencies. At least Razor put it to a vote, proving that there was indeed a market for left-handed gaming peripherals.

Why do keyboard makers always choose to forgo the media buttons on these gaming keyboards?? I can honestly not find a mechanical keyboard with backlighting with a decent array of media buttons. I cannot stand it when the media buttons aren't seperate and large enough to jab in a hurry with one finger

And just like with all the gaming mice, useful for righties only. Funny how its never occurred to these companies that right-brained males are far more likely to be PC gamers and usually have better-than-average incomes (in fact, nearly all of the serious game addicts I know are lefties). Sure, its only 10% of the population their ignoring but that 10% spends a lot of money on gaming and has addictive tendencies. At least Razor put it to a vote, proving that there was indeed a market for left-handed gaming peripherals.

I know what you mean, the reason I have a Razer Deathadder Left Handed Edition is because its one of the rarer products out there, If only a Keyboard maker would make a Keyboard where they concentrate on the arrow Keys...

Which is why I have a Cyborg V7, they actually gave the arrow keys some attention.
But It would be nice to find a mechanical Keyboard like this that concentrated on lefties for once :)

Why do keyboard makers always choose to forgo the media buttons on these gaming keyboards?? I can honestly not find a mechanical keyboard with backlighting with a decent array of media buttons. I cannot stand it when the media buttons aren't seperate and large enough to jab in a hurry with one finger
All of my media buttons are global hotkeys (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Space, or similar)...

Back