RockMelt's new social browser enters limited beta

Jos

Staff

It’s been over a year since we first heard about RockMelt’s plan to enter the increasingly competitive browser market with an alternative that heavily focuses on social network integration – particularly Facebook. Although the idea is certainly not new (think Flock), the fact that browser pioneer Marc Andreessen of Netscape fame is backing it has helped RockMelt garner a lot of attention around the web as it launched in limited beta today.

The new browser is based on Chromium, so it inherits Google Chrome’s looks, feel and basic functionality, except with two thin rails down the edge of each side that incorporate Facebook and Twitter friends as well as other social features. You’ll be able to check your Facebook feed, share links and chat with friends, manage multiple Twitter accounts, add RSS feeds from your favorite sites, and even shorten URL links using RockMelt’s own https://me.lt service.

The search box at the top loads up a list of results in a drop-down menu, and begins preloading all of them so that you can flip back and forth between individual results faster. To be honest, one of the reasons I switched to Chrome is for its streamlined interface and speed, so I’m not sure I would want to clutter my browser with social networking features and the like. That said, it might attract hardcore social-media users and serious multi-taskers.

As mentioned earlier, RockMelt is currently in a testing phase but is accepting invitation requests through a Facebook connection for both Mac and Windows users. The company will reportedly be sending out download links as quickly as it can manage on a first-come, first-served basis.

Permalink to story.

Honestly, between Firefox, Opera, and IE9, I have no desire to pick up another browser. I occasionally eyeball Chrome, but with all the add-ons I have for Firefox, I just cannot be bothered. I imagine someone out there is really biting at the bit to use this new software, but unless it offers something so fantastic that it blows every other browser away. Forget it. The average user is not going to even notice this, most likely. In a few months time we will be looking at them and asking ourselves "who are they?"

NOW, that being said. I wish them the best of luck, they are brave to venture into the browser market...very, very brave...*shivers*

It's Chrome with vertical social toolbars... I'm not so into social networking so I'll pass on this one...

God! Please stop making useless stuff to accommodate users to use Face***k. We are ALL able to visit the website and that's ENOUGH. Personally, I really don't want to always see facebook stuff everywhere, its annoying!

cryptopsy said:
God! Please stop making useless stuff to accommodate users to use Face***k. We are ALL able to visit the website and that's ENOUGH. Personally, I really don't want to always see facebook stuff everywhere, its annoying!

+1

burty117 said:
cryptopsy said:

+1
+2
It's useless. It's like bragging about making a facebook addon for a browser.

This actually looks like it could take off. Something different is the only way you have a chance to break into the browser kings. Looks like you can do a lot of cool things. I reserve judgment till I give it a shot. If its as cool as the demo looks I'm sure facebookers all would love to use that as there new browser. Be scared Microsoft...B really scared :)

I'm not into social networking so I'll take a pass on this one. I'd rather see a more secure browser before I see yet another browser with some cute addins.

I also think we have enough browsers. I don't see the point to center a browser around facebook or twitter.

wow.... Why am I not surprised. More useless features!

This is definitely based on Chrome along with its useless extensions.

It's odd that Chrome still doesn't have decent extensions aside from the mandatory Flashblock and Adblock. In the time that Chrome existed, Firefox already has a load of useful extensions.

Christ! The Internet isn't only about Facebook (even though some think that it is).

sMILEY4ever said:
burty117 said:
cryptopsy said:

+1
+2
+3
Both laughable and pitiful at the same time.

Not my kind of browser. Fortunately for me i didn't catch the social network bug so i don't need a special browser just for that.
But if you really think about it many people will probably use it. It's scary how addicted some get from using these kind of websites/services.

*facepalm*

cryptopsy said:

^This.

njmarkham said:
BURN THE BOOK OF FACES!

lol....ah hahaha. Well They lost me when I saw the Mac computer in the background. If it was'nt for the "apple" we would all still be in the garden of eden.

njmarkham said:
BURN THE BOOK OF FACES!

This made me laugh hard :D

Also this is just a neatly modded Chromium for Twitholics, no way it could be called a "brand new browser"

Web Browser made to cater to people who use Facebook? Pffft! I remember a browser that catered specifically to African American people who wanted to keep up with the times. <--Now THAT was ridiculous.

+1
+2
+3
Both laughable and pitiful at the same time.
+4?
Join the club!

Looks kinda interesting... Probably going to at least give it a try, but with 64-bit Firefox coming out soon (finally) it'll have to be freakin' amazing to make me switch...

Back