Rockstar will shut down GTA Online on PS3 and Xbox 360 later this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Developer Rockstar Games has announced that Grand Theft Auto Online and website stat tracking via the Rockstar Games Social Club will be shutting down on December 16, 2021, on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Those systems launched in 2005 and 2006, respectively, and have long since been discontinued to make way for newer, more powerful generations of consoles.

Rockstar added that Shark Cash Cards, which facilitate in-game purchases, will no longer be sold for these platforms after September 15, 2021.

It’s worth mentioning that these changes won’t have any impact on access to, or progress within, Grand Theft Auto V’s story mode.

Website stat tracking is also going away for Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire on September 16, 2021.

Grand Theft Auto V hit the scene in September 2013, with GTA Online rolling out just one month later. Both have been overwhelming successful, with GTA V currently holding the spot as the second best-selling video game ever. As of last month, Rockstar has sold 145 million copies of GTA V.

Some even believe the staying power of the game has prompted Rockstar to hold off on the launch of a sequel.

Permalink to story.

I guss it doesnt bring much $ anymore

It could have for a few more years but Rockstar long since abandoned so it's actually common to see all kinds of hackers and such. Much like the PC version which is just like that unless you play right after a major update or ban wave that only sets backs the hackers momentarily.

Much like the PC version which is just like that unless you play right after a major update or ban wave that only sets backs the hackers momentarily.
The PC version is the way it is because Rockstar only makes token efforts to secure it and doesn't give players the ability to effectively filter who they play with, using a system pretty much copy-pasted from the console version.

I'm under the impression that Rockstar's developers never wanted to make a PC port in the first place and the were forced to do so by executive decision, and have tried to subtly undermine it ever since.

Yet another reason PC gaming makes more sense.

Because they scrapped a service still being used on a 14 year old console?

Good luck playing that game on a 14 year old spec computer. Jesus.

Console's, for the average gamer, is far way greater for gaming. I run an IT business and would rather use a console. Spend $1000 (not sure how much they are these days, haven't bought a new console for probably 8 years now) no maintenance, keeps on running, no software updates that will most likely stuff something up (windows LOL) and at the end of the day I just want to turn it on and go straight to a game and play it without worrying about all of that stuff.

Btw, does anyone read these articles? The game by the majority is being played on PS4 and Xbox One, you have to be really desperate to be still playing it on the 360 and PS3.
I've been playing it 7 years now on the PS4 and probably has another 5 years in it.

That's if they finally release GTA 6 that is, then no one will be playing GTAV again.

Back