Rockstar's cryptic new logo appears to be teasing something

onetheycallEric

Staff
Why it matters: There are few companies out there that can ignite an entire community quite the way Rockstar can. The game publisher operates in a notoriously hushed manner, rarely even engaging with fans. So when the company does make a move, it tends to get everyone's attention.

Case in point: as spotted by GamesRadar and the Reddit community, Rockstar has debuted two new logos. One could attempt to talk this away as a simple brand refresh, a supposition that does have some merit. However, it seems deeper than that.

The first logo surfaced on the Rockstar website as a background for the side bar. The background depicted a female robot getting awfully comfortable with the familiar Rockstar "R*" logo, PC Gamer has a screenshot. Then, and perhaps more importantly, new artwork surfaced with a cryptic series of patterns and messages.

"Killing dreams, murdering people, fighting the righteous, bullying the weak" can be gleaned from the new artwork. Additionally, "Why don't you tell me what went wrong?" can be seen towards the right side of the image.

This has sent fans into a speculative frenzy. Everything from GTA 6 to Bully 2 has been offered up as a theory. Some redditors are even suggesting a new IP with a sci-fi backdrop, thanks to all the hype from Cyberpunkk 2077 and smaller successes like The Outer Worlds.

Then again, Rockstar has always had an affinity for somewhat eclectic artwork. It could all be nothing. Though, Rockstar making major announcements after seemingly trivial changes isn't without example. Rockstar teased Red Dead Redemption 2 by simply changing its social media photo. Being as we are on the precipice of a new console generation, it isn't far fetched to imagine Rockstar has something up its sleeve for new consoles.

Chances are we won't have to wait long to find out what, if anything, is going on over at Rockstar.

Permalink to story.

In my opinion I think the pictures are for a new game and I think that new game might be a game Rockstar was working on a few years ago but gave up on it. If I remember correctly the game back then was called Agent. If memory serves I don't think Agent was ever Technically cancelled it was just put on the way back burner.... Here is to hoping for something fresh and new. We don't have many cop oriented games if at all in the market.

This is something new, and from what I can tell it probably has to do with either the year 1944 or 1948. There is a vague but recognizable American flavor to the aesthetic. I suspect we're looking at some kind of cold war game, possibly with an alternate timeline. The top section seems to be a pseudo-equation as well that may be suggesting words like "infinite", "interact" or "track". The more I look at this the more I'm getting a time travel vibe. Wasn't Rockstar supposedly working on something called Agent a while back? Hmm..

Long awaited single player story DLC for GTAV, maybe? Naaa, no money in that, and R is all about the money these days.

RIP Rockstar Games, long live CDPR...
Nope , they still are adding updates to gta online , last one was like 2 days ago. If they are all about money why would the update an 6 year old game

Nope , they still are adding updates to gta online , last one was like 2 days ago. If they are all about money why would the update an 6 year old game
Thank You, My point exactly: multiplayer>monetisation (shark cards), no need to work hard and torrential rain of cash for the studio.

Well, there are 48 'R's next to the words 'Since 19' so could this be a reference to 1948?

Well, there are 48 'R's next to the words 'Since 19' so could this be a reference to 1948?

Yep. If you look at the font and elements of the image, one's that match are the same color. I believe that because both those 48 R logos and the text "Since" just to the left is in white that they go together.

There's also some blue logos in code just right of center.

I used online mod menu and I have billions of $$
Congratulatiosn, you want a cookie?

Shark cards are, like most multipalyer monitization systems, highly profitable for Rockstar, and apparently they value them so much they wouldnt dare spend some of the dragon horde on a single player DLC guaranteed to make tens of millions in profit.

If a developer cant make ALL the money, only SOME of the money, they will leave the money on the table and chase the newest lootbox system.

"Of Infinite Tra-CK Since 19 48(logos) RockSTAR Entertainment"

"WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT WENT WRONG?"

5,1,2,5 "R's" RRRRR[..] R[.]RR[]RRRRR
Spacing 2,1, Blank.

Stranded: S, H, WE______AK = zero six letter words.

Too cryptic to solve..

Meh with R*

theyll make a game with a gorgeous world that can be played only how they want you to play it, then theyll tack on a multiplayer component only *****s or the rich will enjoy.

lost their touch awhile back imo

Back