Router randomly loses connection

Hello TechSpot! :)
About two months ago I had wireless installed in the house. However, the tech could not figure out how to properly set up some aspects of the connection. I know a little about networking so I gave it a shot. My connection runs great until I start using it too much (I dont know how else to word it). It will mainly disconnect when I play on Xbox Live.
The router I'm using is a Linksys WRT310Nv2-CC

This computer has alot of problems that I look forward to correcting with your help!

-Meta

Hi MetabolicHigh Welcome to Techspot,

This Router has know DNS issues and sometimes linkes certain sites such as facebook and yahoo to myspace and redirects the sites.

I would be a little worried if a Technician could not set up the wireless in your house. Here are a few things you may want to check:

• Which service provider are you using? i would check to see if you have a download/usage limit attached to you package.
  • Signal. An unlikely proplem as your seem to be able to use it ok before it cuts out.
  • Does it automatically re-connect after the signal drops?
  • Have you checked that you have the latest firmware for your router?

In your post you say you have many issues with the computer so what other problems do you have as maybe somes of them are linked.

Hope this helps
James

This Router has know DNS issues and sometimes linkes certain sites such as facebook and yahoo to myspace and redirects the sites.
This has only happened once so far and corrected within a couple of hours.

Comcast is my current ISP. I am not aware of any download limits, however I will check on this shortly.

The signal is only medium strength. (I presume this is because the router is one floor below my computer. However, I still plan to move it upstairs for technical purposes)

The router will reconnect about a minute or two after it disconnects. Unplugging and replugging the router from the modem makes it reconnect instantly.

My routers firmware seems to be up-to-date. I tried to update to be sure but it says it failed. However, it's running ver.2.0.11 and Cisco's website only has Ver.2.0.01 (I dont know it that means it cant update to a previous version or not)
Hope this helps!

-Meta

Hi Meta,

If you have the most recent firmware for your router i would not change this.

They may actually be a fault with your wireless router. have you tried running the network for a couple of days without the wireless just eh modem plugged in directly?

If the network drops as it normally does even though the modem is hardwired then i would contact you supplier as there may be a fault on the line.
If the network no longer drops you may need a signal booster to make the signal stronger OR there may actually be a problem with the router.

James

set the MTU to 1492 to avoid fragmentation.

look in the router for ANY setting that specifically disallows it.

Make sure you to not allow Wake On Lan or Remove Power on any NIC or WiFi adapter.

Hi Meta,

If you have the most recent firmware for your router i would not change this.

They may actually be a fault with your wireless router. have you tried running the network for a couple of days without the wireless just eh modem plugged in directly?

If the network drops as it normally does even though the modem is hardwired then i would contact you supplier as there may be a fault on the line.
If the network no longer drops you may need a signal booster to make the signal stronger OR there may actually be a problem with the router.

James

I plan to do this, but I need to buy a longer coaxial cable (the current one will not allow the modem reach my computer)

set the MTU to 1492 to avoid fragmentation.

look in the router for ANY setting that specifically disallows it.
I have no idea what this means.

Thanks for all the help so far!

-Meta

Back