RTX 3060 prices suggest it will be 50% more expensive than the MSRP

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: In what should come as no surprise, it appears prices for the RTX 3060, which launches this week, will be much higher than the MSRP. The latest entry in the Ampere line drops on Thursday (February 25), and if the purported prices of AIB partner cards are to be believed, we’ll be paying between 47 – 56 percent more than Nvidia’s recommended $329.

The RTX 3060 is supposed to offer fantastic value for money, with 3,548 Cuda cores and 12GB of GDDR6 for just $329. But with no Founders Edition, there was little expectation that third-party manufacturers would stick with that price.

Sadly, it looks as if last month’s reports that the RTX 3060 might actually cost more than the RTX 3060 Ti (MSRP $399) is accurate. Coreteks has leaked what is supposedly the retail prices of several upcoming RTX 3060 cards, which start at $489.99 and go up to $514.99.

RTX 3060 retail prices

RTX 3060 model Price
MSI Gaming X Trio $514.99
MSI Ventus X2 (likely the Ventus 2X) $484.99
Zotac Gaming $499.99
Asus Strix $499.99
Asus TUF $489.99

Assuming these are accurate, even the cheapest RTX 3060, the Asus TUF, is almost 49 percent more than the MSRP. The MSI Gaming X Trio, meanwhile, is 56.5 percent higher.

For comparison, Best Buy has two third-party RTX 3060 Ti listed, one from EVGA and one from Gigabyte, that sell for $459 and $479, respectively—cheaper than the lowest-priced RTX 3060 on the list. Neither are in stock, naturally.

Nvidia hopes that severely limiting the RTX 3060’s Ethereum mining capabilities will help ease the availability problems experienced by every other new graphics card. But that won’t address the industry-wide chip shortages and scalping problems.

Permalink to story.

Hope y’all are lining up at Microcenter as I’m typing this
Seriously, won‘t do this unless it‘s for something very special like tickets for the only concert one of my favorite bands will play. Definitely not for a consumer product that doesn‘t do anything exceptional.

Hope at least the 3060 is available so that I might have a chance to get a 6700XT or 3060Ti for a normal price eventually.

AIB's going with such high MSRPs is worrisome because it just means this cards will be double to triple MSRP. I am sure Nvidia will have a perfectly good explanation as to why their plan to get more cards into the hands of gamers has completely backfire! But spoiler alert: I expect nothing but crickets now: Jansen will just shut up and roll around in all that global warming inducing crypto money.

In the land of "no mask" with 5k dead ppl per day from Corona? Nah, I think I'm gonna pass.

Well, I wore my mask back and forth and I'm still alive.

Got my 3090 FTW3, one for my cousin, a 3080, a 3070, a 3060Ti and again, I'm still here.

It can be accomplished!!!

AIB's going with such high MSRPs is worrisome because it just means this cards will be double to triple MSRP. I am sure Nvidia will have a perfectly good explanation as to why their plan to get more cards into the hands of gamers has completely backfire! But spoiler alert: I expect nothing but crickets now: Jansen will just shut up and roll around in all that global warming inducing crypto money.
Though why a miner would choose to buy a card that Nvidia hobbled to take twice as long to cover the costs for, I have no idea.

I know I'm looking seriously at AMD for my next upgrade, I just want to pay for it with Eth on Newegg to really salt the wounds for crypto skeptics here.

Though why a miner would choose to buy a card that Nvidia hobbled to take twice as long to cover the costs for, I have no idea.

I know I'm looking seriously at AMD for my next upgrade, I just want to pay for it with Eth on Newegg to really salt the wounds for crypto skeptics here.
Remember, they ONLY bothered to limit Eth's current PoW algorithm. If it is updated, it could be circumvented. Or, you can simply mine Ravencoin for basically the same profit. 3060's are still going to be bought by the dozen by miners.

Remember, they ONLY bothered to limit Eth's current PoW algorithm. If it is updated, it could be circumvented. Or, you can simply mine Ravencoin for basically the same profit. 3060's are still going to be bought by the dozen by miners.
Which was pointless in the first place because Eth is going Proof-Of-Stake anyway.

Oof...
Which means that the budget RTX 3050 (or whatever it will be named) could be sold from retailers for $300?!?
Say bye bye to budget gaming...

Last edited:
Looks like another year of service for my GTX 1080... good thing I currently game only at 1080p on older titles.

Going higher than MSRP is never a wise marketing move ...... somebody really screwed the pooch on this one!

When scalpers are involved, going higher makes sense.

The $550 launch price of the HD 7970 was outrageously high compared to any predecessors, but it was high-enough to keep up with the Bitcoin rush on-release.

By-comparison, the HD 5870 was NEVER available at-retail at it's $379 MSRP, because miners started their first GPU rush; a combination of a month of reduced production, plus mining blitz meant you couldn't buy the things anywhere in retail for the first 12 months!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/3587

When your next card up in the price structure is already getting scalped (3060 ti) , it makes sense to jump nearly that high, (as there is obvious demand). This prevents scalpers from getting involved at-all (and you can always lower your prices a few months later, like AMD did after NVIDIA countered the 7970 with the GTX 680!).

When you already have a stable 50% markup price ceiling on most of your G
PU lineup, you can aim for just below that for release; this is a lot harder to do than the 3800 release did (2x markup, because there was no inventory yet!)

When scalpers have a lot of your inventory held for ransom , then you can use that against the scalpers (by raising prices for new cards);it makes no sense for folks to pay scalpers $500 MSRP for an 3060 plus $200 markup for you, when they can already buy any number of 3060 Tis for under $800 on Ebay.

Last edited:
Well, it's a good time to maybe try out some obscure indie titles that might be getting ignored and wait out this price storm. There's bound to be some good titles from the last 20 years that's still visually appealing enough so as not to warrant being sucked into the lastest financial raking over the coals. Patience can and will cool the market. At the end of the day, they want to move their product. They may believe it's worth a $1000, but at that price, they can expect $0.00 and $0.00 doesn't pay the bills.

Last edited:
Mark my words, getting ANY 3060 variant for less than a thousand is going to be nearly impossible within 24-48 hours of launch.

Fine, make it 100%, 150% higher, I ll just save more by not upgrading from 1080p.
I just feel sorry for people who wanted to upgrade from weak hardware for a long time and now are facing this uneasy choice, expensive or nothing.
But to be completely honest, I have another reason to not upgrade. I don't wanna cut new pipes for my watercooled rig. Then I also need to clean the system and refill...
It is best the way it is for me now.

Well, it's a good time to maybe try out some obscure indie titles that might be getting ignored and wait out this price storm. There's bound to be some good titles from the last 20 years that's still visually appealing enough so as not to warrant being sucked into the lastest financial raking over the coals. Patience can and will cool the market. At the end of the day, they want to move their product. They may believe it's worth a $1000, but at that price, they can expect $0.00 and $0.00 doesn't pay the bills.

My collection of 4000 PC games is looking so sweet! I can ride out any crypto mining or pandemic.

Back