Rumor: AMD is up for sale, Dell may be interested

Emil

Staff

As far as the stock market is concerned, Advanced Micro Devices may be up for sale. AMD's shares were significantly up yesterday, apparently on rumors that Dell is interested in buying the American multinational semiconductor company. Barron's reported on the rumor first:

I would say the recent departures of senior executives — COO Robert Rivet last week, CEO Dirk Meyer back in January — is still unexplained and can lead to all kinds of speculation. There's not a lot of color on the rumor at this point. Is Dell considering making a more integrated kind of product line? Talk about a change in strategy.

CFO Thomas Seifert is acting as interim CEO but he has said that he doesn't want the promotion to be permanent. Bloomberg followed up on the rumor with quotes from an industry analyst:

"There is no management team there," said Patrick Wang, an analyst at Wedbush Securities in New York. There is some "chatter" that the company is up for sale, he said. "It's a far- fetched possibility."

If AMD ends up being bought out, the purchase by Dell, or any other company for that matter, would be among the biggest the technology industry has seen. It would be of course bigger than when AMD bought ATI in 2006.

Permalink to story.

things are not looking good, the last thing we would want is for AMD to be sold....come on.....buldozer is not even out yet.

R3DP3NGUIN said:
If Dell buys AMD I am definitely switching to Intel :)

If Dell buys AMD I am definitely staying with Intel as I absolutely refuse to buy Dell products. I'll probably never get to try an AMD based PC at this rate :(

Honestly intel could have bought them already. The only thing stopping them is antitrust issues.

Now why would DELL buy AMD when its been refusing to use their products for years! I mean seriously AMD tried to sue them for not fair competition with intel before

Assuming manufacturing/design processes and lower level management stayed the same, AMD =/= "Dell product", if such a acquisition were to happen (Guest@7:23AM makes a good point). It takes a lot more QC to actually manufacture hardware than it does to make OEM computer systems, so a processor/graphics card branch would be spared the "Dell Quality" moniker, at least temporarily.

Also, not all Dell products are bad (GASP). Their branded IPS displays are some of the best considering their pricepoints and connectivity.

First off it's just a rumor,a nd secondly if a big PC company where to buy AMD it should be Apple or HP. They would benefit more from such a purchase. also, those companys have the buying power that Dell does not.

I was considering purchasing an Alienware Laptop, Financing it and staying with it and using it as my Design Computer (Website/Video Game design)

Then Dell bought out Alienware, i didn think it would affect it much but...Oh man did it affect it so much.

Prices went up, Quality went down. I went to an alienware store here in Miami (where the old HQ for ALienware used to be)

and everything was...plastic..but not the good plastic..Not the Old Alienware shiny resurfaced acrylic plastic with the shiney nobs and glow in the dark razor Finishes.

no, Just plastic. The laptop i wanted looked like an inspiron with an alien sticker on it.

If Dell buys AMD, (i only buy AMD products)

Then intel is going to see my business.

As an AMD fanboy, I would never buy another AMD product if Dell bought them....

This would be a great move by Dell. The lawsuits mean nothing since one one end there are lawsuits the other end there are agreements. These companies do not dislike each other. If this happens, Dell would make money than they ever have in the past. Now would it be good for the industry, I do not know yet.

Is Dell that bad? I'm sort of amazed, what I've heard are all but bad things about Dell

@Guest ("I'd rather see 3M buy AMD than Dell!")

Heatsink clips would become irrelevant.

Guest@7:23AM :Now why would DELL buy AMD when its been refusing to use their products for years!

Why then do we have dozen of Dell PCs here with AMD64 CPU ?

DEll didn't refuse to use AMD chips .. in fact they wanted to use AMD, but then Intel came along with a "marketing budget" to help DELL sell its Pc's. But only if they used Intel Chips.. and this was to the tune, over 4 or 5 years of $2Billion dollars. In fact most of dells profits arise simply from the "marketing" money that Intel gave them. Intel have now been banned and fined for using such practices. But of course the damage to AMd was done. It would make more sense, perhaps, that Apple bought AMD, as they could refine the chip designs for use in their products, but they are too deeply into their own A4 chip, with its superb power saving abilitys. I don't think they want the hassle of owning a Chip mfr, they are more likely to buy a Battery mfr.

You make no sense. Please go look at the lawsuits, Dell and shady deals with Intel have been going hand in hand for years.

Kibaruk said:
Is Dell that bad? I'm sort of amazed, what I've heard are all but bad things about Dell
Dell, at least its products and not their business practices, is not really as bad as people are making it sound here. It's just that most people don't want to talk about any good experiences with Dell, less they intend to be outcasted. =p

It's kind of like how there are people that refuse to buy Hitatchi "Deathstar" hard drives. One single, but major screwup and people won't even look at the brand anymore. I've used four Hitachi drives after that and three still worked years after, prior to donating them away; the fourth is in an enclosure sitting behind my computer also in working condition

I didn't realize DELL had that kind of capitalization. Anyway, this is just a rumor. To be taken lightly b/c what will DELL do w/ AMD architecture. How will they integrate their cpu/gpu products into their product line and why? ANd stop selling to other vendors? WIll they make that kinda return on profit by sole use in house products? Doubtful.

However, AMD has money problems. They have been running at a loss for multiple years. At this point they pretty much have no choice but to sell to highest bidder. Intel maimed them with their shady marketing/business practices. And, Hector Ruiz killed AMD with the decision to buy ATI. I hope, he is happy ruining such a great IP house w/ so much promise into the ground.

In my Opinion. Dell destroyed Alienware, instead of those shiney nice looking computers, theyre cheaply made and dont look as nice in the outside as before. ATLEAST they're willing to keep the insides the same. But they have definately ruined the alienware image in the sense that the laptops are no longer a shiney polished plastic, but a plastic that looks like it was an inspiron spray painted with stickers of aliens on it.

Sources - I bought an Alienware after dell bought it to replace my old one i bought from alienware originally

If Dell bought AMD, most other PC OEMs will probably not want to use AMD chips (including the graphics stuff), simply cos that will fuel a direct competitor of their.

This will screw up Dell's new "AMD Division's" profits royally.

So I doubt Dell will buy AMD any time soon, if at all.

If this this EVER happen, I will break the pig and get an Intel based PC!!! I really dont like Dell Products.

I'm switching back to Intel regardless of whether AMD is purchased or not. I've been using AMD for the last year, and I've been through 3 different processors already (440 Rana, 965 BE, 1090T), with all coming to a premature death. Maybe it has just been a string of bad luck, but nevertheless it has made a bad impression on me, and I'm sick of the RMA's. Intel's are much faster, more reliable (imo), and have a much better selection of boards to put them on. AMD is bargain basement garbage.

Wendig0 said:
I'm switching back to Intel regardless of whether AMD is purchased or not. I've been using AMD for the last year, and I've been through 3 different processors already (440 Rana, 965 BE, 1090T), with all coming to a premature death. Maybe it has just been a string of bad luck, but nevertheless it has made a bad impression on me, and I'm sick of the RMA's. Intel's are much faster, more reliable (imo), and have a much better selection of boards to put them on. AMD is bargain basement garbage.

That's quite odd...I've been building AMD machines for 9 years now and have never had a bad CPU. That sucks though. I've only gotten 2 bad parts, Bad stick of ram and a bad PSU. Intel is faster and does have a wider selection of motherboards, but it is far from bargain basement garbage. BTW, if you ever go with an Intel system I'd be interested in taking that POS 1090T off your hands.

Back