Rumor: Intel Broadwell CPUs delayed until late 2014

Scorpus

Staff member

rumor intel broadwell cpus intel cpu broadwell delay

It appears Intel's upcoming 'Broadwell' processors are in for another delay. According to a recent report, the first wave of Broadwell processors won't land until the fourth quarter of 2014, thanks in part to the "slow digestion" of current-generation 'Haswell' CPU inventories.

This new, although unconfirmed delay follows on from the delay Intel announced in October of last year, when the company cited defect density issues as a reason chip production was pushed back from Q4 2013 to Q1 2014. At the time, Intel said the delay was just a "small blip in the schedule" that wouldn't affect the release of Broadwell's successor, 'Skylake'.

It's believed that Broadwell processors will only be available in limited quantities in the fourth quarter of 2014, and only mid-power U-series and low-power Y-series chips - both geared for mobile PCs and tablets - will be released at first. Other parts will follow in the early stages of 2015, according to the latest rumors.

Broadwell CPUs will be the first 14nm processors to come from Intel, following the company's tick-tock strategy that sees the Haswell microarchitecture shrunk down in an attempt to reduce power consumption and improve efficiency. Performance gains from Broadwell aren't expected to be massive, especially for desktop-class parts, which isn't surprising considering Intel is focusing their guns on ARM's low-power mobile chips, rather than traditional rival AMD.

Permalink to story.

It's hard for someone that bought a 2nd or 3rd generation core to get a 4th, the improvements are so small that it doesnt make sense unless you have a fat wallet.

And it gets worse due to the lack of processing power on their laptops i7 processors, its a rip off, the market its full of machines with regular-mediocre performance and really high prices...so for me its an excuse to drain more money

Will my i7-2600K Sandy ever get old? I think it was the last major jump...Owell saves me money but I like to upgrade when there is something worth upgrading too. Sounds like the upcoming releases aren't any better. They are focusing to much on energy savings and not on performance. Come on AMD catch up and kick intel into high gear!!!

If you have Sandy Bridge, you should not be buying CPUs for their performance anyway. The next gen of CPUs that makes sense for you will be the ones probably after Skylake. CPU innovation is happening mostly in performance/watt, I/O features, and other small, though cumulatively relevant, quality-of-life improvements.

Im more interesting in the Haswell-E series coming this year as that will likely be my next upgrade. Sad enough if you own a Sandy-Ivy processor theres almost no reason to upgrade to Haswell.

I want to hear more about the 8 Core CPU coming!

For a complete new build Haswell makes sense.
Almost every site that directly compares Haswell to Ivy Bridge concedes that Ivy Bridge is the most efficient power per watt, and Haswell has advantages of 5%, clock for clock, in very select software categories. The only reason Haswell should even be considered is for the features of the newer Motherboards. The CPUs themselves are not better, and sometimes worse (if you're looking to build a power efficient system,) than Ivy Bridge.

For a complete new build Haswell makes sense.
Almost every site that directly compares Haswell to Ivy Bridge concedes that Ivy Bridge is the most efficient power per watt, and Haswell has advantages of 5%, clock for clock, in very select software categories. The only reason Haswell should even be considered is for the features of the newer Motherboards. The CPUs themselves are not better, and sometimes worse (if you're looking to build a power efficient system,) than Ivy Bridge.
But the equivalent Haswell CPU is around 5% faster than Ivy Bridge? So it is a bit like sport cars. Performance verses power efficiency. I want performance.

I'm just over here with my Vishera enjoying the money I saved while still playing the latest demanding games.

I'm just over here with my Vishera enjoying the money I saved while still playing the latest demanding games.
I was considering AMD as I originally intended to build a budget PC. At the time it was a toss up between the I3 or AMD. In that segment AMD makes sense. However my wife decided she wanted to get an Apple laptop but in the end bought an iMac. From that point onwards I decided I needed a PC with better specs than her, so I then settled on the I5.

Will my i7-2600K Sandy ever get old? I think it was the last major jump...Owell saves me money but I like to upgrade when there is something worth upgrading too. Sounds like the upcoming releases aren't any better. They are focusing to much on energy savings and not on performance. Come on AMD catch up and kick intel into high gear!!!
Yeah it seems like they have given up on increasing desktop performance :(. Mobile is where the money is at currently. Too bad AMD isnt taking too advantage of the situation :(. Hopefully "steamroller" doesnt disappoint.

Yeah it seems like they have given up on increasing desktop performance :(.
Not really, it's just that Intel's bifurcation of the product lines is more pronounced now that low-power processing and silicon fabrication costs play a large part in corporate strategy. Provide a thread optimized software environment and the performance isn't that stagnant
57927.png

Mobile is where the money is at currently.
Along with the enterprise sector where code is generally better thread optimized, performance per watt/thread, and absolute performance per node are still desirous
Too bad AMD isnt taking too advantage of the situation :(. Hopefully "steamroller" doesnt disappoint.
You talking about Kaveri - it's already here. AMD's FX line is slated to remain Piledriver (32nm) based through this year.
AMDRoadmap-Desktop.jpg

Not really, it's just that Intel's bifurcation of the product lines is more pronounced now that low-power processing and silicon fabrication costs play a large part in corporate strategy....[ ].....
Wow! I think the last time I heard the term, "bifurcation" used in a sentence, was by Jeremy Irons in, "Dead Ringers".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Ringers_(film)

EDIT: Never mind, that was "trifurcated".....:eek:

Well, it technically was only 3 days ago. Way back when I was a younger, more promiscuous tom, Velentine's Day was usually celebrated with an eight ball, and went on longer than Chanukah.
We are probably one post away from official censure for thread derail. Wait for the C & D !

/ Almost wrote D & C ! Still got Dead Ringers in my mind. Sticky situation averted! Whew!

Have I ever told you guys that I like potatoes?
No,you haven't.

But if you want maximum dispersion and awareness, you should slap that little tidbit into your profile.....!

On to business. If you'll take notice, the caption of this thread includes the word, "rumor". So, a possibly predictable, maybe typical, progression of comments would be thus.

"I'm not buying a Broadwell"

"That's stupid, I'm getting one as soon as they come out".

"Intel is screwing up, they should have designed it to suit me".

"My i7-4770 is as fast as any of that junk they're going to release".

So much furor a "rumor", could possibly unleash! In the end, everybody would have the same opinion as when it started. Nothing would be, "solved", and very little would be gained.

But I suppose, the thread would be about a "technical subject", so that makes it OK. Bear in mind, (IMHO), that an "opinion" about a technical subject, never fully translates to a, "technical discussion".

And even posting something as innocuous as, "I like potatoes", in the hands of an A-hole like captaincranky (*), could be turned into an ethnic slur.....(sic)...."Does this thread come with Pah-TaY- Tahs"?

(If you feel the need for speed, try that on St. Patrick's Day, in a crowed bar).

(*) Now see what TS has done to me? It's got me referring to myself in the third person;).

Not really, it's just that Intel's bifurcation of the product lines is more pronounced now that low-power processing and silicon fabrication costs play a large part in corporate strategy. Provide a thread optimized software environment and the performance isn't that stagnant
57927.png

Along with the enterprise sector where code is generally better thread optimized, performance per watt/thread, and absolute performance per node are still desirous

You talking about Kaveri - it's already here. AMD's FX line is slated to remain Piledriver (32nm) based through this year.
AMDRoadmap-Desktop.jpg
Yeah but Kaveri doesnt combat the high end Intel line.

Back