Rumor: Nokia to embrace Windows Phone 7

Emil

Staff

Over the past month, Nokia has initiated talks with Microsoft to expand their cooperation. More specifically, the discussion is not around technology exchange, nor about more Microsoft apps on Nokia phones, but it's about a new line of Nokia devices running Windows Phone 7. The devices would be sold under the Nokia brand, via Nokia distribution channels, and would have some of the typical features found on current Nokia phones, according to Eldar Murtazin, who has a weekly opinion editorial over at Mobile-Review.

The talks were initiated by the new Nokia management. Almost three months ago, Nokia hired Stephen Elop as its president and CEO. Before that, Elop worked for Microsoft from January 2008 to September 2010 as the head of the software giant's Business Division.

If these talks bear fruit, it could be a big deal for both companies. Microsoft would have a huge partner pushing Windows Phone: although it is losing market share, Nokia is still the biggest maker of smartphones in the world. Windows Phone could in turn help Nokia rebuild its image in the mobile market. While the hardware side of Nokia phones has been very solid, the software side has been floundering. With Symbian possibly on the way out, Nokia was expected to bet everything on its new Meego operating system. Now it looks like Nokia doesn't want to put all its eggs in one basket, which seems like a good idea to us.

Permalink to story.

Cool, now MS complete your damn OS asap, and Nokia should put it on capable hardware platform with CBCD screen, as I'm patiently waiting to ditch this Galaxy S (with its not so good Office tools). Provided that the rumor is true........

Archean said:
Cool, now MS complete your damn OS asap, and Nokia should put it on capable hardware platform with CBCD screen, as I'm patiently waiting to ditch this Galaxy S (with its not so good Office tools). Provided that the rumor is true........

LOL. I just got the galaxy S yesterday :p. But I'm more of a multimedia type of user.

Oh so you eventually bought it as well. It is not a bad device honestly, but I've been through hell to make it work with PC, it works 'occasionally' if it feels like okay lets work for one damn instance, otherwise it is a 'RPITB' ..... so the above + this issue are the only things which make me dislike it.

Edit:
In addition to that, Samsung is dragging its feet about upgrading the device to Gingerbread, which is pretty stupid to put it mildly, now that LG have come clean about updating Optimus One to Gingerbread, why can't Samsung do the same about Galaxy S (which is by far the more powerful device of the two)? This is second time around I've noticed this behavior, which is making me think about never buying a Samsung again if they don't do the right thing.

Archean said:
Oh so you eventually bought it as well. It is not a bad device honestly, but I've been through hell to make it work with PC, it works 'occasionally' if it feels like okay lets work for one damn instance, otherwise it is a 'RPITB' ..... so the above + this issue are the only things which make me dislike it.

Edit:
In addition to that, Samsung is dragging its feet about upgrading the device to Gingerbread, which is pretty stupid to put it mildly, now that LG have come clean about updating Optimus One to Gingerbread, why can't Samsung do the same about Galaxy S (which is by far the more powerful device of the two)? This is second time around I've noticed this behavior, which is making me think about never buying a Samsung again if they don't do the right thing.

Already flashed mine with gingerbread.

I mentioned this happening months back. Excellent hardware plus up and coming excellent Mobile OS? WIN. Just what everyone has been wanting. People love Nokia for the hardware, not for the OS.

They were, but as mentioned in the story putting all of your eggs in one basket isn't a smart idea after all. In addition MeeGo needs to prove itself in mobile arena in a comparable terms with other options.

Maybe Windows Phone 7 will be an option available alongside Symbian & Meego. I don't see Nokia stopping the development of those operating systems completely & so suddenly.

Back