Rumor: Samsung to offer a dual-core 2GHz smartphone in 2012

Emil

Staff

Samsung Electronics, South Korea's largest electronics manufacturer, is reportedly working on the next big milestone in the smartphone gigahertz race: 2GHz per core. Such processors will narrow the gap between smartphones and desktop PCs, according to Samsung, at least in terms of raw processing power. ARM already has a dual-core Cortex-A9 design capable of such speeds, and we wouldn't be surprised if this is what Samsung is using for the basis of its new processor designs.

"We are planning to release a 2Ghz dual core CPU-equipped smartphone by next year," a high-ranking Samsung official is reportedly quoted as saying, according to a Maeli Business Newspaper. "This product will have the data processing capacity of a regular PC." Note that this quote was originally in Korean and has been roughly translated, but the gist is still there.

Samsung also plans to sell the new CPUs, which will likely be launched under Samsung's Exynos brand, to other phone makers. Samsung has been mainly manufacturing mobile CPU for its own product lines, but is planning to expand into mobile processor sales, so you likely won't have to buy a Samsung-branded handset if you want to, shall we say, get up to speed.

The first 1GHz smartphones hit the market some two years ago, dual core CPUs for smartphones are available now, and so it's exciting that we're already heading toward 2GHz dual core CPUs for smartphones. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited, though I really do hope that the CPUs are developed with battery life in mind. As smartphone typically last me a day, and I would really be annoyed if that time decreased further.

Permalink to story.

Wow... a rumor, of what would be natural progression. Did any doubt that this would eventually be the next step ?

Good news, this will encourage more game developers in near future to create some serious games for smart phones.

Do we really need a 2GHz CPU in our mobile phone to eat up battery life? Will it lower speed under a light computing load? I know this is just a rumor... but I'm more interested in improving multitasking in relation to battery life than raw computing performance as most of my mobile small screen apps will be about info reference, communications, and light casual diversions. I'm not ready to run SETI in Pocket...

I overclocked my Palm Pre to 1 Ghz, which made apps open really quickly, but at the same time I could actually watch the battery life percentage go down in front of my eyes.

The more you use your phone as a computer, the less it serves to fulfill its main function which is a wireless phone. While I love surfing the web, checking e-mail, playing games, I also have to carry a charger around in my backpack if I'm gonna be out of the house for more than 6 hours.

kg363 said:
At this point battery does need to be the main objective

Yes, the battery technology needs to progress. Or instead of cramming more features into phones, the next time they scale circuitry and processors down, scale the batteries up. Larger cells and more capacity please!

It kinda sound like Tesla ........ Arris, lots of batteries but not much range, so I am not sure they will contain enough juice to power that 2GHz for 'reasonably significant amount of time'.

Back